The IAD Sound Effects Discussion Thread - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OutOfOdor  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 5:41:51 AM(UTC)
OutOfOdor

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 74 post(s)
As a bit of a sound geek, one of my personal favorite facets of the animated cartoon are the sound effects. Those silly and funny, overly-exaggerated boings, zips, bomb drops, bullet ricochets, car skids, etc. that have endeared themselves to both geeks like ourselves and casual 'toon watchers all over the world. I'll even watch the worst animation out there just because I'm fascinated by the great sound effects. I even keep a personal library of hundreds, if not thousands, of SFX for use in whatever that includes a whole mess of effects created and recorded way back originally from the libraries of Hanna-Barbera, Warner Bros., Disney and others.

I often find myself wondering where certain effects came from that I've heard in a variety of projects, how certain sounds were created, or even who created certain effects. Heck, I personally would prefer designing and editing sounds for comical cartoons than for serious, dramatic stuff because, in my opinion, it gives you the opportunity to exaggerate sounds and creatively apply effects to actions that don't make that sound in the real world. You can't run willy-nilly to the sound of rapidly played bongo drums, nor can you dash off to the sound of a bullet ricocheting. You don't hear a fog horn out of nowhere when you come across a most horrible stench, nor can your doggy, all of a sudden, emit a woman's scream when they see something shocking. That's the fun of cartoon sound design right there.

I really appreciate and admire the craft of the sound effects editor in animation, in the Golden Age, and in contemporary animation. In older TV cartoons, even during the dark ages of the medium on the small screen, too, I'll constantly find moments of sound design that strike me as very creative, very funny. The people who created these wonderful, timeless sounds were geniuses. Treg Brown originated many hilarious sounds, and used recordings from the live-action editorial department of the WB studio to humorous, wildly creative effect. Jimmy MacDonald at Disney, invented several original contraptions devised to replicate rain falling or a fly buzzing about. The fellows at MGM, like Fred McAlpin, Jim Faris and Lovell Norman strike me as uniquely creative individuals whose creativity never cease to amuse me. Who knew a gunshot could be used for a mallet to the head, or for a baseball hitting a ball, to great comic effect? They did.

The FX people at the Hanna-Barbera studio also strike me as very creative, and the effects they came up with, although you've heard them scads of times in all sorts of places, are also really, really great, and some of them leave me scratching my head as to how they came up with them. I also personally really like some of the weird FX used in the Detich-produced Tom and Jerry cartoons. That loud "boi-oi-oing!" never fails to make me laugh. I also really admire the sound design work on Ren and Stimpy and SpongeBob in terms of creativity and entertainment value.

Making a long story short- I love cartoon sound effects. Personally, it IRKS me that we don't get much discussion on sound effects over here, and I think this topic should remedy that situation. What it is, basically, is a general topic for discussion on anything sound effects in cartoons. Although it's in the "TTTP in Exile" board, feel free to discuss SFX in TV and contemporary 'toons as well. Even the "Terry Splash."
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
thanks 4 users thanked OutOfOdor for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 2/11/2020(UTC), kintutoons32 on 2/11/2020(UTC), Gnik_LJN on 2/11/2020(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 2/11/2020(UTC)
Ken Layton  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 10:39:08 AM(UTC)
Ken Layton

Man
United States

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Terrytoons recorded even in the mid 1950's sounded like they were recorded on equipment manufactured in 1930.
Gnik_LJN  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 12:11:54 PM(UTC)
Gnik_LJN

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Early Max Fleischer sound shorts, as well as some later ones, tend to have one particular sound effect I can't quite grasp but still really like. It's roughly like "ck-li-li-li-li-li-li-ling". That's usually associated with mincers or vices or anything involving mechanical devices (You can hear it in "Swing You Sinners" or "Can You Take It" for example)
nickramer  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 11:11:25 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 313 time(s) in 249 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ken Layton Go to Quoted Post
Terrytoons recorded even in the mid 1950's sounded like they were recorded on equipment manufactured in 1930.

Well, that's what you expect from a studio that was run by a stubborn cheapskate.