Bugs Bunny Golden Carrot Collection coming out in April - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
WaltWiz1901  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 3:43:15 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/25/2017(UTC)
Posts: 371
Man
United States

Thanks: 556 times
Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Well, looks like we're getting an even bigger supply of double-dipped cartoons on April 14th...

...on DVD, no less. Hard pass for me. (Seriously, why no new HD release of any kind for these shorts this year?! If you don't think perhaps your most popular character can warrant a lavish collection with (both repeated and new-to-disc) shorts in a resolution higher than 480p for his 80th anniversary, you have a serious problem...)

Edited by user Saturday, February 8, 2020 3:44:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jason Todd  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 5:29:08 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/29/2017(UTC)
Posts: 207
Man
United States
Location: Palm Springs

Thanks: 318 times
Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Jerry Beck was working on two new releases; one for Warner Archive (Tex Avery Blu-ray), and one for Warner Home Video.

If THIS was the release Mr. Beck was curating for Warner Home Video proper...I dunno, man. I already have all six volumes of the Golden Collection DVDs. I really hope not.
thanks 1 user thanked Jason Todd for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 2/8/2020(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2020 6:16:55 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/25/2017(UTC)
Posts: 371
Man
United States

Thanks: 556 times
Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
Jerry Beck was working on two new releases; one for Warner Archive (Tex Avery Blu-ray), and one for Warner Home Video.

If THIS was the release Mr. Beck was curating for Warner Home Video proper...I dunno, man. I already have all six volumes of the Golden Collection DVDs. I really hope not.

I strongly doubt this was Beck's doing...if it was, we would've seen at least a few unreleased shorts and maybe a Blu-ray release.

"...is intended for the adult collector and may not be suitable for children" my ass. Most of the so-called "adult" collectors this collection's supposedly aimed at already have all of the shorts included! Even the back cover admits that the contents were originally released as part of the Golden Collection, so what exactly is Warner trying to do here? By making this a DVD-only release and filling it up with things that *its* intended demographic already has in some way, shape, or form, are they deliberately trying to make and sell a bomb?
Kristjan  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 12:01:57 AM(UTC)
Kristjan

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/16/2015(UTC)
Posts: 101

Thanks: 33 times
Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
Well, looks like we're getting an even bigger supply of double-dipped cartoons on April 14th...

...on DVD, no less. Hard pass for me. (Seriously, why no new HD release of any kind for these shorts this year?! If you don't think perhaps your most popular character can warrant a lavish collection with (both repeated and new-to-disc) shorts in a resolution higher than 480p for his 80th anniversary, you have a serious problem...)


You got to give it to Warner Home Video they do love their doublex2x3x4x5 dips. So In that regard, they never disappoint you.

But if you are expecting them do the right thing and release more new-to-disc cartoons they have managed or most part to let everyone down since 2008. Since then there have been some odd chooses for the most part with few exceptions. Heck even some of the golden collections DVDs had odd chooses (which I suspect was part of the reason why those sets died at 6 volumes)

Edited by user Sunday, February 9, 2020 12:04:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Kristjan for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 2/9/2020(UTC)
Kristjan  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 12:16:01 AM(UTC)
Kristjan

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/16/2015(UTC)
Posts: 101

Thanks: 33 times
Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
Jerry Beck was working on two new releases; one for Warner Archive (Tex Avery Blu-ray), and one for Warner Home Video.

If THIS was the release Mr. Beck was curating for Warner Home Video proper...I dunno, man. I already have all six volumes of the Golden Collection DVDs. I really hope not.

I strongly doubt this was Beck's doing...if it was, we would've seen at least a few unreleased shorts and maybe a Blu-ray release.

"...is intended for the adult collector and may not be suitable for children" my ass. Most of the so-called "adult" collectors this collection's supposedly aimed at already have all of the shorts included! Even the back cover admits that the contents were originally released as part of the Golden Collection, so what exactly is Warner trying to do here? By making this a DVD-only release and filling it up with things that *its* intended demographic already has in some way, shape, or form, are they deliberately trying to make and sell a bomb?


I haven't seen a single word from Jerry Beck on social media regarding this set, so I would like to think he's not involved here but if he's then Warner Home video is wasting his time. I would have expected that The Bugs Bunny Video Guide would have contacted him if he was.

The other possibility is that at this time of writing this is the oscar weekend thus he's preoccupied with that now. SO he will not comment until sometime next week. BUt it still sounds like waste of time as I previously stated erlier in this comment.

Edited by user Sunday, February 9, 2020 12:21:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Toonatic  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 8:35:57 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 9/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 719
United States

Thanks: 177 times
Was thanked: 271 time(s) in 189 post(s)
I give Warner an A for effort, but it's still a mess. The first half of the features only? Wouldn't be surprised if the discs are exactly the same as the GC discs.

I know it's not easy making ends meet, but sometimes you have to break some eggs to make a decent product.

To further continue my point, I've orchestrated MY OWN TAKE (I say this in caps because the following IS NOT THE REAL INFO FOR THIS SET! I REPEAT, NOT THE REAL INFO!) of how I would've done the set based on the info I've seen.

I selected 73 shorts from the 6 Golden Collection, while the 74th short is A Wild Hare and I know it wasn't on ANY of the GC (save for Bugs Bunny Superstar) but for obvious reasons, I added it to the roster:

Disc 1:
-A Wild Hare
-Tortoise Beats Hare
-The Heckling Hare
-Wabbit Twouble
-The Wabbit Who Came to Supper
-The Wacky Wabbit
-Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid
-The Hare-Brained Hypnotist
-Case of the Missing Hare
-Tortoise Wins by a Hare
-Super-Rabbit
-Wackiki Wabbit
-Falling Hare
-Little Red Riding Rabbit
-Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears
-Buckaroo Bugs
-The Old Grey Hare
-Stage Door Cartoon
-Hare Trigger
-Hare Conditioned
-Hare Tonic
-Baseball Bugs
-Hare Remover
-Hair-Raising Hare
-Acrobatty Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries
-A Greeting from Chuck Jones
-Behind the Tunes featurettes

Disc 2:
-The Big Snooze
-Rhapsody Rabbit
-A Hare Grows in Manhattan
-Rabbit Transit
-Easter Yeggs
-Slick Hare
-Gorilla My Dreams
-Buccaneer Bunny
-Bugs Bunny Rides Again
-Haredevil Hare
-My Bunny Lies Over the Sea
-High Diving Hare
-Long-Haired Hare
-The Windblown Hare
-Rabbit Hood
-Big House Bunny
-What's Up, Doc
-8 Ball Bunny
-Hillbilly Hare
-Bunker Hill Bunny
-Rabbit of Seville
-Bunny Hugged
-Rabbit Fire
-French Rarebit
-Big Top Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries
-Music-Only (and Effects) tracks
-Behind the Tunes featurettes

Disc 3:
-Operation Rabbit
-14 Carrot Rabbit
-Water, Water Every Hare
-Rabbit Seasoning
-Rabbit's Kin
-Forward March Hare
-Bully for Bugs
-Duck, Rabbit, Duck
-Bugs and Thugs
-Bewitched Bunny
-Devil May Hare
-Baby Buggy Bunny
-Sahara Hare
-Rabbit Rampage
-Hyde and Hare
-Bugs' Bonnets
-Broom-Stick Bunny
-Barbary Coast Bunny
-A Star is Bored
-Ali Baba Bunny
-What's Opera, Doc
-Show Biz Bugs
-Knighty Knight Bugs
-Baton Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries
-Music-Only (and Effects) tracks
-Behind the Tunes featurettes

Disc 4:
-The Boys from Termite Terrace
-Chuck Amuck: The Movie
-Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes All-Star 50th Anniversary
-Bugs Bunny at the Movies excerpts
-From The Bugs Bunny Show vaults
-Trailer Gallery
-Stills gallery

Disc 5:
-Bugs Bunny Superstar
-Chuck Jones: Extremes & Inbetweens
-From The Bugs Bunny Show vaults

So there you'd have it; 74 shorts (all family-friendly to boot so kids can enjoy the set too), the listed extras, and the COMPLETE features, not just the first half only (and the icingon the cake is that Bugs Bunny Superstar is the reconstructed version by the Warner Archive). THAT is how you're suppose to do it!

Not to brag but, people should listen to me more often. If they did, to quote my dad, they go right to the top!
thanks 2 users thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 2/9/2020(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 2/9/2020(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 9:43:52 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/25/2017(UTC)
Posts: 371
Man
United States

Thanks: 556 times
Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
I give Warner an A for effort, but it's still a mess. The first half of the features only? Wouldn't be surprised if the discs are exactly the same as the GC discs.

I know it's not easy making ends meet, but sometimes you have to break some eggs to make a decent product.

Well said, Anthony, well said. If only the major studios could follow your advice and put more effort into their home video products!
Quote:
To further continue my point, I've orchestrated MY OWN TAKE (I say this in caps because the following IS NOT THE REAL INFO FOR THIS SET! I REPEAT, NOT THE REAL INFO!) of how I would've done the set based on the info I've seen.

I selected 73 shorts from the 6 Golden Collection, while the 74th short is A Wild Hare and I know it wasn't on ANY of the GC (save for Bugs Bunny Superstar) but for obvious reasons, I added it to the roster:

Disc 1:
-A Wild Hare
-Tortoise Beats Hare
-The Heckling Hare
-Wabbit Twouble
-The Wabbit Who Came to Supper
-The Wacky Wabbit
-Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid
-The Hare-Brained Hypnotist
-Case of the Missing Hare
-Tortoise Wins by a Hare
-Super-Rabbit
-Wackiki Wabbit
-Falling Hare
-Little Red Riding Rabbit
-Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears
-Buckaroo Bugs
-The Old Grey Hare
-Stage Door Cartoon
-Hare Trigger
-Hare Conditioned
-Hare Tonic
-Baseball Bugs
-Hare Remover
-Hair-Raising Hare
-Acrobatty Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries
-A Greeting from Chuck Jones
-Behind the Tunes featurettes

Disc 2:
-The Big Snooze
-Rhapsody Rabbit
-A Hare Grows in Manhattan
-Rabbit Transit
-Easter Yeggs
-Slick Hare
-Gorilla My Dreams
-Buccaneer Bunny
-Bugs Bunny Rides Again
-Haredevil Hare
-My Bunny Lies Over the Sea
-High Diving Hare
-Long-Haired Hare
-The Windblown Hare
-Rabbit Hood
-Big House Bunny
-What's Up, Doc
-8 Ball Bunny
-Hillbilly Hare
-Bunker Hill Bunny
-Rabbit of Seville
-Bunny Hugged
-Rabbit Fire
-French Rarebit
-Big Top Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries
-Music-Only (and Effects) tracks
-Behind the Tunes featurettes

Disc 3:
-Operation Rabbit
-14 Carrot Rabbit
-Water, Water Every Hare
-Rabbit Seasoning
-Rabbit's Kin
-Forward March Hare
-Bully for Bugs
-Duck, Rabbit, Duck
-Bugs and Thugs
-Bewitched Bunny
-Devil May Hare
-Baby Buggy Bunny
-Sahara Hare
-Rabbit Rampage
-Hyde and Hare
-Bugs' Bonnets
-Broom-Stick Bunny
-Barbary Coast Bunny
-A Star is Bored
-Ali Baba Bunny
-What's Opera, Doc
-Show Biz Bugs
-Knighty Knight Bugs
-Baton Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries
-Music-Only (and Effects) tracks
-Behind the Tunes featurettes

Disc 4:
-The Boys from Termite Terrace
-Chuck Amuck: The Movie
-Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes All-Star 50th Anniversary
-Bugs Bunny at the Movies excerpts
-From The Bugs Bunny Show vaults
-Trailer Gallery
-Stills gallery

Disc 5:
-Bugs Bunny Superstar
-Chuck Jones: Extremes & Inbetweens
-From The Bugs Bunny Show vaults

So there you'd have it; 74 shorts (all family-friendly to boot so kids can enjoy the set too), the listed extras, and the COMPLETE features, not just the first half only (and the icingon the cake is that Bugs Bunny Superstar is the reconstructed version by the Warner Archive). THAT is how you're suppose to do it!

Not to brag but, people should listen to me more often. If they did, to quote my dad, they go right to the top!

Spot on!

But hey, I've done (and contributed to) tons of great home video ideas/blueprints, too! I'd love it if everyone paid more attention to me and followed my lead as well...
thanks 1 user thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
Toonatic on 2/9/2020(UTC)
Toonatic  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 11:10:09 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 9/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 719
United States

Thanks: 177 times
Was thanked: 271 time(s) in 189 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
Spot on!

But hey, I've done (and contributed to) tons of great home video ideas/blueprints, too! I'd love it if everyone paid more attention to me and followed my lead as well...


Thank you!

The two of us together, we can get this done. We can bring a resurgence back to physical media. :)
DevonB  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 4:22:59 PM(UTC)
DevonB

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/12/2015(UTC)
Posts: 86

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Jerry has nothing to do with the Golden Carrot Collection. Finito.
thanks 7 users thanked DevonB for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 2/9/2020(UTC), Jason Todd on 2/9/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 2/9/2020(UTC), Jonathan Wilson on 2/10/2020(UTC), Toonatic on 2/11/2020(UTC), vdubdavid on 2/11/2020(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 2/11/2020(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 6:22:01 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/25/2017(UTC)
Posts: 371
Man
United States

Thanks: 556 times
Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DevonB Go to Quoted Post
Jerry has nothing to do with the Golden Carrot Collection. Finito.

Well, looks like I ought to copy and paste one of my latest replies to the "Looney Tunes"/Platinum Collection thread over at Blu-ray.com...
WaltWiz1901 wrote:
Me thinks the studios should just stop trying to do prestigious, comprehensive, or definitive classic animation sets without any experts on the subject matter on hand to guide them (*cough*Universal's Rankin/Bass releases*cough*Celebrating Mickey*cough*literally every post-2014/2015 non-Warner Archive animated title as of now*cough*)...

(In a reply to the post above, I explained that if I was working at Disney when Celebrating Mickey was being prepared and, later, released exactly the way it was, I would've been upset - furious, even - that no effort was put into getting me and at least a few other historians involved and making it much more comprehensive than it really is)
Ian L.  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 1:51:06 AM(UTC)
Ian L.

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/18/2017(UTC)
Posts: 49
United States
Location: USA

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Are we absolutely certain this set is nothing but repeats? I mean, it LIKELY is, but AFAIK the full cartoon list hasn't been released yet.
thanks 2 users thanked Ian L. for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 2/13/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 2/13/2020(UTC)
Einhander  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:33:22 AM(UTC)
Einhander

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/2/2018(UTC)
Posts: 76
United States

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ian L. Go to Quoted Post
Are we absolutely certain this set is nothing but repeats? I mean, it LIKELY is, but AFAIK the full cartoon list hasn't been released yet.


The Special features repeats is the smoking gun here.
thanks 1 user thanked Einhander for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 2/13/2020(UTC)
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error