Bugs Bunny Golden Carrot Collection coming out in April- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
PopKorn Kat  
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 9:39:47 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Moderator
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 436 time(s) in 304 post(s)
Just a reminder that this thread is about the Bugs Bunny Golden Carrot Collection. It is not the place to discuss the selection of shorts on a 14-year-old DVD set.
Thad Komorowski  
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 10:03:14 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 308 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Given that the Bugs set is a rehash of those 13-to-17 year old sets, isn't it all the same? :D
thanks 6 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 3/12/2020(UTC), Mesterius on 3/12/2020(UTC), Jonathan Wilson on 3/13/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 3/13/2020(UTC), Jason Todd on 3/13/2020(UTC), Toadette on 3/13/2020(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#23 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 3:40:08 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fulano7 Go to Quoted Post
I've been watching the Popeye and Avery sets, and man... What a stellar restoration work by WAC. I wonder why they didn't do something like this since 2012. They (at Warner) had to see a lower quality release like PP101 selling well to come back to classic animation and put it in WAC. And you know what? Prices of $20, great picture and sound quality, no censorship, and the most important: good sales. Let's be real: classic animation is a vintage product, a niche market, so even if the sales are so low that you have to raise the price to the limit, making it relatively expensive (let's say, $40 for a single disc) you won't have financial losses at all - your niche customers are going to buy it anyway. The added benefit is preserving the studio legacy and history, and American history as well.

Which leads me to believe that the main reasons that Warner ceased the investment in Golden Collection and doesn't release a single LT/MM short with proper restoration in physical media since 2014 are poor marketing/business decisions, lack of will to preserve older material, and fear of PC backlash from people that buy from "family entertainment" retail shelves.

Warner still mantains the poor business decision of maintaining some IPs exclusive to the Family Entertainment branch. But the success of Popeye and Avery proves that there is a profitable niche market for classic animation and everything is about how you manage it - WAC is the right way.

I don't like the way Golden and Platinum Collections were handled as well. Take GC: they were releasing collector-oriented 4-DVD boxsets, spending a lot with restoration, and with manufacturing and distribution of those boxsets... But the latest sets had very little appeal to the general public: "Patriotic Pals"? "Most Requested Assorted Nuts and One-Shots"? "A Dash of Tashlin"? How is this going to sell well? How do you justify such massive investment to a WHV executive? The end of GC was predictable.

So I hope that LT and MM come back via WAC in more character-oriented approach, or at most a director-oriented approach. Sometimes character-oriented leads to director-oriented and vice-versa: Foghorn is McKimson, Yosemite is Freleng, Road-Runner is Chuck etc.

And I hope they try in the first place to fill the ridiculous gaps that the GC approach left behind. This is possible only if they change the business decision of keeping main characters exclusive to Family division. I would sit down, take a list of the cartoons, and compile character and director-based lists of family-friendly things not released in GC. GC released a ton of un-PC stuff and older material, but left behind many color shorts featuring well-known characters that we have fond memories of.

I'm half-and-half on some of your opinions and ideas. While there were a few disc themes that would've been tricky to sell to the public, there were also plenty of marketable themes, too (the character discs come immediately to mind).

While I can't argue with your sentiments about how stellar the shorts on the new Warner Archive discs look and how Warner's own shorts should continue being released on physical media, which way should Warner release them in? The bare-bones, no-frills approach the Archive usually takes, although better than nothing, just isn't ideal enough.
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
To be fair, Beck did the disc theming before in "The Golden Age of Looney Tunes" video/ laser disc sets and MGM/UA were able to release all of the Turner owned Warner shorts sans The Censored Eleven. I guess the only down-side was that they nearly ran out of character cartoons by the final volume. It was almost all one-shots and some Sniffles shorts (with some miscellaneous stuff thrown in for good measure).

Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski Go to Quoted Post
The Golden Collections were programmed according to what was available and what WB was willing to spend on restoration. (The first Golden Collection was originally a "Chuck Jones" collection; Vol. 2's Road Runner and Tweety focus.) I think they're about as good as they could be given the circumstances (though the Speedy Gonzales disc is kind of terrifying, much as I like the cartoons). And Vol. 6 isn't a good example- that was programmed that way because, "This is it."

Good points!

If memory serves me right, Beck has said a couple of times that he had ten Golden Collection volumes mapped out in his mind, and when the series had to stop at six volumes, that final volume included a batch of shorts that otherwise would've been released in the next four volumes, but he thought were too good or essential to leave hanging. Anyone want to elaborate on that?
fulano7  
#24 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 1:04:07 AM(UTC)
fulano7

Man
Brazil

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post

I'm half-and-half on some of your opinions and ideas. While there were a few disc themes that would've been tricky to sell to the public, there were also plenty of marketable themes, too (the character discs come immediately to mind).

While I can't argue with your sentiments about how stellar the shorts on the new Warner Archive discs look and how Warner's own shorts should continue being released on physical media, which way should Warner release them in? The bare-bones, no-frills approach the Archive usually takes, although better than nothing, just isn't ideal enough.

It isn't ideal enough, but it seems like the only viable and justifiable option at the moment we can hope from major distributors.

Jerry said last night (?) that it's not like WB has all money in the world they can spend releasing classic animation. If any release/collection doesn't make money, then it's cancelled, simple as that. Actually WB does have enough money, but the philosophy of major companies is strictly profit, unfortunately.

Non-major companies like Kino Lorber, Criterion etc. have a different approach. They use the best-selling releases to fund the ones that sell less copies. They want and need profit, but their very business purpose is to restore and release as much material as possible and care about such films.

It's a matter of effort. We won't see another Platinum-Collection-like release by WB any time soon. Classic animation isn't mainstream enough to convince executives of major companies to invest in boxsets full of booklets and extras - and implied production costs. The major companies are simply in their comfort zones. That's the reason Comcast ranks low in customer satisfaction indexes. It happens in Brazil with our 4~5 major banks and 4 major telecommunication companies.

Edited by user Friday, March 20, 2020 1:13:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
thanks 1 user thanked fulano7 for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 3/20/2020(UTC)
DawnShadow  
#25 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 7:01:24 AM(UTC)
DawnShadow

Australia

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Non-major companies like Kino Lorber, Criterion etc. have a different approach. They use the best-selling releases to fund the ones that sell less copies. They want and need profit, but their very business purpose is to restore and release as much material as possible and care about such films.

That couldn't be further from the truth. Kino rushed through the Pink Panther series, using DNR, causing irreparable issues and refusing to acknowledge or fix them - and because of that they have given up on animation. There's no way those sets didn't make a profit, it just wasn't big enough a profit for Kino to care about. Everything Kino releases (or continues to release) definitely makes a profit, they just don't need as big a profit as Warner does, because they've never made that much of a profit.
thanks 6 users thanked DawnShadow for this useful post.
Toadette on 3/20/2020(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 3/20/2020(UTC), Jason Todd on 3/20/2020(UTC), Jonathan Wilson on 3/20/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 3/20/2020(UTC), Mesterius on 3/20/2020(UTC)
fulano7  
#26 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 9:59:09 AM(UTC)
fulano7

Man
Brazil

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DawnShadow Go to Quoted Post

That couldn't be further from the truth. Kino rushed through the Pink Panther series, using DNR, causing irreparable issues and refusing to acknowledge or fix them - and because of that they have given up on animation. There's no way those sets didn't make a profit, it just wasn't big enough a profit for Kino to care about. Everything Kino releases (or continues to release) definitely makes a profit, they just don't need as big a profit as Warner does, because they've never made that much of a profit.

I got your point.

Doesn't change the fact that major companies leave interesting material in the vault, and niche specialized companies are able to release lesser-known material because it's their business.

Selling and distributing vintage and independent movies in 2020 isn't the most promising business, profitwise.

Not saying that Kino or any company is doing their business for charity purposes. But a niche market requires more know-how and more of an effort that major companies simply don't put anymore, at a time when physical home video market as a whole is becoming niche.

Kino was able to release all DFE theatrical cartoons. Three box sets, 17 discs, for a vintage product with at least 9 discs of lesser-known characters. I just can't imagine a similar effort coming from Disney, WB, Sony, Paramount, Universal, MGM, right in 2016-2020. Of course there were problems/sloppiness, and profit comes in first place.

Imagine an hypothetical situation where there are no licensing fees, no copyright: can you imagine if Criterion or, I dare to say, even Thunderbean got their hands in LT/MM library? That is, for free?

Compare Disney's Sword in the Stone blu ray and Criterion's Watership Down. That's what I was talking about...
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
thanks 1 user thanked fulano7 for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 3/20/2020(UTC)