WACs next release is...... - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
13 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Leviathan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:10:04 AM(UTC)
Leviathan

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I know Thad Komorowski said that the forthcoming Warner Archive release is not Tex..... BUT

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2751953994882672
thanks 7 users thanked Leviathan for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 1/18/2020(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 1/18/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 1/18/2020(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 1/18/2020(UTC), Jonathan Wilson on 1/18/2020(UTC), PorkyPigfan90 on 1/18/2020(UTC), Toonatic on 1/18/2020(UTC)
Jason Todd  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:22:19 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Don’t do this to me, man... C’mon!! OUT WITH IT!!!!!!!!!
Mesterius  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 1:05:07 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 365 time(s) in 173 post(s)
I hate that Facebook doesn't allow linking to videos with the post date included... but for the record, that video went up on WAC's Facebook page just an hour ago, as you can see when going to their main site.

Now this is looking intriguing. :)

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 1/18/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 1/18/2020(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 1/18/2020(UTC), Toonatic on 1/18/2020(UTC)
Mesterius  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 1:13:58 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Update: I played around a little and managed to find a url which includes the time of posting.

https://www.facebook.com.../posts/10158103419181563
Thad Komorowski  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 2:10:05 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Was thanked: 316 time(s) in 70 post(s)
Well, shit. Thought it was going to be the non-Avery MGMs first (as those were the titles being worked on the most, too). Even better.
thanks 8 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 1/18/2020(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 1/18/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 1/18/2020(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 1/18/2020(UTC), tashlinfan44 on 1/18/2020(UTC), PorkyPigfan90 on 1/18/2020(UTC), Ken Layton on 1/18/2020(UTC), vdubdavid on 1/18/2020(UTC)
Lee B  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:04:34 AM(UTC)
Lee B

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 33 post(s)
That says "volume one" below Tex's name, right? I'm having trouble making it out.

Safe to assume it'll have roughly the same number of shorts as the Popeye blu's?

Unless of course someone can actually read the back of the package. Best guesses until then.
Mesterius  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:11:32 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Lee B Go to Quoted Post
That says "volume one" below Tex's name, right? I'm having trouble making it out.

Safe to assume it'll have roughly the same number of shorts as the Popeye blu's?

Unless of course someone can actually read the back of the package. Best guesses until then.

It's not fully readable no matter which resolution you set the video to. I think it's deliberately unfocuced.
SuperMuppet64  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:19:31 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 34 post(s)
yeah it definitely says "volume 1" under the title
Mesterius  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:24:10 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post

I agree -- from how it looks, that's the only thing that feels logical. It also says something else above "Volume 1", but it's impossible to see what it is.
Lee B  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:28:30 AM(UTC)
Lee B

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

I agree -- from how it looks, that's the only thing that feels logical. It also says something else above "Volume 1", but it's impossible to see what it is.

my money is on "Remastered Classics".
tashlinfan44  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 5:53:49 AM(UTC)
tashlinfan44

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)

I’m pretty sure that it says that as well, but above the “volume 1”.

To comment on the actual release, well…this is insane! I’m betting that it’s not a chronological said, as much as it is “Best Of” kind of thing. My favorite Tex shorts are from the 40s, so I prefer it to be chronological, but I’m trying to keep my hopes down.

Edited by user Saturday, January 18, 2020 5:55:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mesterius  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 6:39:36 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 Go to Quoted Post

I’m pretty sure that it says that as well, but above the “volume 1”.

To comment on the actual release, well…this is insane! I’m betting that it’s not a chronological said, as much as it is “Best Of” kind of thing. My favorite Tex shorts are from the 40s, so I prefer it to be chronological, but I’m trying to keep my hopes down.

I really, really hope it will be chronological from the start. If WAC has learned anything from the Popeye releases, it should be that people want these things in complete and chronological collections. Especially when we're talking about something like Tex Avery's MGM cartoons (67 shorts), which would fit nicely into four discs with about the same run time as Popeye.

The rectangle with yellow type on the back looks like it may be a list of the cartoons, but of course, it's impossible to make out.

UserPostedImage
Mesterius  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 6:50:17 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Cartoon Brew's news post about this says, "Warner Archive will reveal additional details about the contents of the disc(s) next week."
HeySteve  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 8:04:49 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Definitely will be pre-ordering this ASAP.

Just a word of caution, do not, I repeat do not, pre-order from Amazon if you want it to be delivered in a timely manner.
thanks 1 user thanked HeySteve for this useful post.
Ken Layton on 1/18/2020(UTC)
Leviathan  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 8:16:57 AM(UTC)
Leviathan

United States

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 43 post(s)

I'm as cynical as the next guy, but I don't think that's going to be an issue. Even Porky 101, for all it's faults, was complete and in chronological order.
Mesterius  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 8:27:38 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Leviathan Go to Quoted Post

I'm as cynical as the next guy, but I don't think that's going to be an issue. Even Porky 101, for all it's faults, was complete and in chronological order.

"Volume 1" on the front cover also seems like a pretty strong hint in that direction. I'm certainly hoping it's the case.
nickramer  
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 11:01:49 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 331 time(s) in 263 post(s)
Talk about a surprise. I hope there's a DVD release too. I don't have a Blu-Ray player.
thanks 3 users thanked nickramer for this useful post.
Ken Layton on 1/18/2020(UTC), Jonathan Wilson on 1/19/2020(UTC), Toonatic on 1/20/2020(UTC)
Toonatic  
#18 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:27:29 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 272 time(s) in 190 post(s)
I'm sure there will.

And I'm pre-ordering both formats! :)
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
Jonathan Wilson on 1/19/2020(UTC)
vdubdavid  
#19 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:22:05 PM(UTC)
vdubdavid

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Wow, talk about an unexpected surprise!

I was beginning to feel apprehensive given the some of the strong opinions being expressed about why we weren't getting more information about upcoming releases. That feeling wasn't helped by the fact that the 'Porky Pig 101' situation seems to have come back into discussion of late when I'd hoped that water had gone under the bridge by now.

To see this however, I'm very excited but I have to balance that against some realizations. First, to give Tex a dedicated set (as well-deserved and long overdue as it is) means that the MGM cartoon library is still going to be divided into T&J, Tex, and 'the rest.' While I feel pretty safe in guessing all of the Tex shorts will see release and we'll eventually get the rest of the T&Js, is there going to be enough interest to sustain releases for all the Happy Harmonies, Barney Bears and other one-shots? If those shorts even get releases?

The other part is I'm now very curious about these Tex shorts will look remastered. The mainstream T&J blu-ray was great, but it was not free of the niggles that rear their ugly heads and make viewers question the decisions made during the restoration process. Have lessons been learned from the T&J Golden Collection and the Popeye discs?

I really, really hope so, because while I'm going to be purchasing this regardless as a loyal supporter of classic animation who wants more of it released, I'm also going to be bracing myself for something that I'll have to reconcile because time ran out, elements just couldn't be found, etc.

I can only hope that the stellar communication between customers and experts such as Mr. Beck and Mr. Komorowski that took place during the recent Popeye releases continues so that both sides can better understand each other.

Edited by user Saturday, January 18, 2020 4:22:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked vdubdavid for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 1/18/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 1/18/2020(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 1/19/2020(UTC)
Jason Todd  
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 5:22:23 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: vdubdavid Go to Quoted Post
Wow, talk about an unexpected surprise!

I was beginning to feel apprehensive given the some of the strong opinions being expressed about why we weren't getting more information about upcoming releases. That feeling wasn't helped by the fact that the 'Porky Pig 101' situation seems to have come back into discussion of late when I'd hoped that water had gone under the bridge by now.

To see this however, I'm very excited but I have to balance that against some realizations. First, to give Tex a dedicated set (as well-deserved and long overdue as it is) means that the MGM cartoon library is still going to be divided into T&J, Tex, and 'the rest.' While I feel pretty safe in guessing all of the Tex shorts will see release and we'll eventually get the rest of the T&Js, is there going to be enough interest to sustain releases for all the Happy Harmonies, Barney Bears and other one-shots? If those shorts even get releases?

The other part is I'm now very curious about these Tex shorts will look remastered. The mainstream T&J blu-ray was great, but it was not free of the niggles that rear their ugly heads and make viewers question the decisions made during the restoration process. Have lessons been learned from the T&J Golden Collection and the Popeye discs?

I really, really hope so, because while I'm going to be purchasing this regardless as a loyal supporter of classic animation who wants more of it released, I'm also going to be bracing myself for something that I'll have to reconcile because time ran out, elements just couldn't be found, etc.

I can only hope that the stellar communication between customers and experts such as Mr. Beck and Mr. Komorowski that took place during the recent Popeye releases continues so that both sides can better understand each other.

I, too, have had the same thought. Personally, I hope that this upcoming set won’t be plagued with faded Metrocolor prints, but considering what we know about the MGM cartoon library, I wouldn’t be surprised.