WACs next release is...... - Forum.
Leviathan
2020-01-17T17:10:04Z
I know Thad Komorowski said that the forthcoming Warner Archive release is not Tex..... BUT

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2751953994882672 
Jason Todd
2020-01-17T17:22:19Z
Don’t do this to me, man... C’mon!! OUT WITH IT!!!!!!!!!
Mesterius
2020-01-17T18:05:07Z
I hate that Facebook doesn't allow linking to videos with the post date included... but for the record, that video went up on WAC's Facebook page just an hour ago, as you can see when going to their main site .

Now this is looking intriguing. :)

UserPostedImage
Mesterius
2020-01-17T18:13:58Z
Update: I played around a little and managed to find a url which includes the time of posting.

https://www.facebook.com.../posts/10158103419181563 
Thad Komorowski
2020-01-17T19:10:05Z
Well, shit. Thought it was going to be the non-Avery MGMs first (as those were the titles being worked on the most, too). Even better.
Lee B
2020-01-17T21:04:34Z
That says "volume one" below Tex's name, right? I'm having trouble making it out.

Safe to assume it'll have roughly the same number of shorts as the Popeye blu's?

Unless of course someone can actually read the back of the package. Best guesses until then.
Mesterius
2020-01-17T21:11:32Z
Originally Posted by: Lee B 

That says "volume one" below Tex's name, right? I'm having trouble making it out.

Safe to assume it'll have roughly the same number of shorts as the Popeye blu's?

Unless of course someone can actually read the back of the package. Best guesses until then.



It's not fully readable no matter which resolution you set the video to. I think it's deliberately unfocuced.
SuperMuppet64
2020-01-17T21:19:31Z
yeah it definitely says "volume 1" under the title
Mesterius
2020-01-17T21:24:10Z
Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 

yeah it definitely says "volume 1" under the title



I agree -- from how it looks, that's the only thing that feels logical. It also says something else above "Volume 1", but it's impossible to see what it is.
Lee B
2020-01-17T21:28:30Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 

yeah it definitely says "volume 1" under the title



I agree -- from how it looks, that's the only thing that feels logical. It also says something else above "Volume 1", but it's impossible to see what it is.





my money is on "Remastered Classics".
tashlinfan44
2020-01-17T22:53:49Z
Originally Posted by: Lee B 

Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 

yeah it definitely says "volume 1" under the title



I agree -- from how it looks, that's the only thing that feels logical. It also says something else above "Volume 1", but it's impossible to see what it is.





my money is on "Remastered Classics".



I’m pretty sure that it says that as well, but above the “volume 1”.

To comment on the actual release, well…this is insane! I’m betting that it’s not a chronological said, as much as it is “Best Of” kind of thing. My favorite Tex shorts are from the 40s, so I prefer it to be chronological, but I’m trying to keep my hopes down.
Mesterius
2020-01-17T23:39:36Z
Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 

Originally Posted by: Lee B 

Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 

yeah it definitely says "volume 1" under the title



I agree -- from how it looks, that's the only thing that feels logical. It also says something else above "Volume 1", but it's impossible to see what it is.



my money is on "Remastered Classics".



I’m pretty sure that it says that as well, but above the “volume 1”.

To comment on the actual release, well…this is insane! I’m betting that it’s not a chronological said, as much as it is “Best Of” kind of thing. My favorite Tex shorts are from the 40s, so I prefer it to be chronological, but I’m trying to keep my hopes down.



I really, really hope it will be chronological from the start. If WAC has learned anything from the Popeye releases, it should be that people want these things in complete and chronological collections. Especially when we're talking about something like Tex Avery's MGM cartoons (67 shorts), which would fit nicely into four discs with about the same run time as Popeye.

The rectangle with yellow type on the back looks like it may be a list of the cartoons, but of course, it's impossible to make out.

UserPostedImage
Mesterius
2020-01-17T23:50:17Z
Cartoon Brew 's news post about this says, "Warner Archive will reveal additional details about the contents of the disc(s) next week."
HeySteve
2020-01-18T01:04:49Z
Definitely will be pre-ordering this ASAP.

Just a word of caution, do not, I repeat do not, pre-order from Amazon if you want it to be delivered in a timely manner.
Leviathan
2020-01-18T01:16:57Z
Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 



To comment on the actual release, well…this is insane! I’m betting that it’s not a chronological said, as much as it is “Best Of” kind of thing. My favorite Tex shorts are from the 40s, so I prefer it to be chronological, but I’m trying to keep my hopes down.



I'm as cynical as the next guy, but I don't think that's going to be an issue. Even Porky 101, for all it's faults, was complete and in chronological order.
Mesterius
2020-01-18T01:27:38Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 



To comment on the actual release, well…this is insane! I’m betting that it’s not a chronological said, as much as it is “Best Of” kind of thing. My favorite Tex shorts are from the 40s, so I prefer it to be chronological, but I’m trying to keep my hopes down.



I'm as cynical as the next guy, but I don't think that's going to be an issue. Even Porky 101, for all it's faults, was complete and in chronological order.



"Volume 1" on the front cover also seems like a pretty strong hint in that direction. I'm certainly hoping it's the case.
nickramer
2020-01-18T04:01:49Z
Talk about a surprise. I hope there's a DVD release too. I don't have a Blu-Ray player.
Toonatic
2020-01-18T08:27:29Z
I'm sure there will.

And I'm pre-ordering both formats! 🙂
vdubdavid
2020-01-18T09:22:05Z
Wow, talk about an unexpected surprise!

I was beginning to feel apprehensive given the some of the strong opinions being expressed about why we weren't getting more information about upcoming releases. That feeling wasn't helped by the fact that the 'Porky Pig 101' situation seems to have come back into discussion of late when I'd hoped that water had gone under the bridge by now.

To see this however, I'm very excited but I have to balance that against some realizations. First, to give Tex a dedicated set (as well-deserved and long overdue as it is) means that the MGM cartoon library is still going to be divided into T&J, Tex, and 'the rest.' While I feel pretty safe in guessing all of the Tex shorts will see release and we'll eventually get the rest of the T&Js, is there going to be enough interest to sustain releases for all the Happy Harmonies, Barney Bears and other one-shots? If those shorts even get releases?

The other part is I'm now very curious about these Tex shorts will look remastered. The mainstream T&J blu-ray was great, but it was not free of the niggles that rear their ugly heads and make viewers question the decisions made during the restoration process. Have lessons been learned from the T&J Golden Collection and the Popeye discs?

I really, really hope so, because while I'm going to be purchasing this regardless as a loyal supporter of classic animation who wants more of it released, I'm also going to be bracing myself for something that I'll have to reconcile because time ran out, elements just couldn't be found, etc.

I can only hope that the stellar communication between customers and experts such as Mr. Beck and Mr. Komorowski that took place during the recent Popeye releases continues so that both sides can better understand each other.
Jason Todd
2020-01-18T10:22:23Z
Originally Posted by: vdubdavid 

Wow, talk about an unexpected surprise!

I was beginning to feel apprehensive given the some of the strong opinions being expressed about why we weren't getting more information about upcoming releases. That feeling wasn't helped by the fact that the 'Porky Pig 101' situation seems to have come back into discussion of late when I'd hoped that water had gone under the bridge by now.

To see this however, I'm very excited but I have to balance that against some realizations. First, to give Tex a dedicated set (as well-deserved and long overdue as it is) means that the MGM cartoon library is still going to be divided into T&J, Tex, and 'the rest.' While I feel pretty safe in guessing all of the Tex shorts will see release and we'll eventually get the rest of the T&Js, is there going to be enough interest to sustain releases for all the Happy Harmonies, Barney Bears and other one-shots? If those shorts even get releases?

The other part is I'm now very curious about these Tex shorts will look remastered. The mainstream T&J blu-ray was great, but it was not free of the niggles that rear their ugly heads and make viewers question the decisions made during the restoration process. Have lessons been learned from the T&J Golden Collection and the Popeye discs?

I really, really hope so, because while I'm going to be purchasing this regardless as a loyal supporter of classic animation who wants more of it released, I'm also going to be bracing myself for something that I'll have to reconcile because time ran out, elements just couldn't be found, etc.

I can only hope that the stellar communication between customers and experts such as Mr. Beck and Mr. Komorowski that took place during the recent Popeye releases continues so that both sides can better understand each other.



I, too, have had the same thought. Personally, I hope that this upcoming set won’t be plagued with faded Metrocolor prints, but considering what we know about the MGM cartoon library, I wouldn’t be surprised.