Popeye The Sailor The 1940's Volume 3 This September!!!- Page 8 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
9 Pages«<6789>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mesterius  
#141 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2019 11:19:04 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 236 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski Go to Quoted Post
"The Hungry Goat" ending was a recreation by Barry Mills for CN's The Popeye Show. They almost didn't include it on the DVD... that's why it was originally delayed, so they could add it.

How did they manage to recreate that end title? Especially since the ending gag is unique to that particular cartoon.

Probably some earlier incarnation of After Effects or a facsimile. I do recall Mr. Mills said it exhausted a lot of resource (time/money).

If the recreated ending of "The Hungry Goat" was done in standard definition back in the early 2000s, maybe that's the reason it's one of the cartoons not included in Boomerang's HD release of the Fleischer Popeyes.
tashlinfan44  
#142 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 12:57:10 AM(UTC)
tashlinfan44

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
"The Hungry Goat" ending was a recreation by Barry Mills for CN's The Popeye Show. They almost didn't include it on the DVD... that's why it was originally delayed, so they could add it.

How did they manage to recreate that end title? Especially since the ending gag is unique to that particular cartoon.

Probably some earlier incarnation of After Effects or a facsimile. I do recall Mr. Mills said it exhausted a lot of resource (time/money).

If the recreated ending of "The Hungry Goat" was done in standard definition back in the early 2000s, maybe that's the reason it's one of the cartoons not included in Boomerang's HD release of the Fleischer Popeyes.

The Boomerang service is very odd. They don’t include some Popeyes with gun gags (like “Happy Birthdaze”, which also had the gun gag at the end cut out when Boomerang aired Popeye and was a decent channel) but they once had such racist cartoons as “The Island Fling” and “Popeye’s Pappy.” They may have not have included “The Hungry Goat” for a different reason.

I notice a slight drop in quality in “Goat” about a half a minute before the cartoon ends when I view it on the DVD, and it follows through until the cartoon ends. It starts in the last scene, where the general yells for Popeye. Perhaps this was the print that was taken from the Popeye Show. The whole cartoon may have been restored and in HD, but they may have simply put the recreated ending (and the last minute of the cartoon) on the restored copy, taken from the show,which was in SD. I could be wrong.

Edited by user Saturday, September 28, 2019 1:03:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MTGM  
#143 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 3:00:22 AM(UTC)
MTGM

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 Go to Quoted Post

The Boomerang service is very odd. They don’t include some Popeyes with gun gags (like “Happy Birthdaze”, which also had the gun gag at the end cut out when Boomerang aired Popeye and was a decent channel) but they once had such racist cartoons as “The Island Fling” and “Popeye’s Pappy.” They may have not have included “The Hungry Goat” for a different reason.

I notice a slight drop in quality in “Goat” about a half a minute before the cartoon ends when I view it on the DVD, and it follows through until the cartoon ends. It starts in the last scene, where the general yells for Popeye. Perhaps this was the print that was taken from the Popeye Show. The whole cartoon may have been restored and in HD, but they may have simply put the recreated ending (and the last minute of the cartoon) on the restored copy, taken from the show,which was in SD. I could be wrong.

The Hungry Goat and Happy Birthdaze were likely not included due to the presence of very obvious suicide gags. I assume this also explains why they use the edited PAL speedup print of Ballot Box Bunny instead of the remastered version from Volume One of the LTGC. That doesn't explain, however, how they let The Scarlet Pumpernickel slip uncut. It is very confusing how they operate.
Mesterius  
#144 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2019 6:38:05 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 236 time(s) in 120 post(s)

I think that's exactly what Thad said above: that they edited in the recreated ending of "The Hungry Goat" from The Popeye Show when releasing it on DVD. So there's probably a logical reason for the drop in quality.
Pasko  
#145 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 4:42:40 AM(UTC)
Pasko

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gnik_LJN Go to Quoted Post
Wait, if the ending title for "Me Musical Nephews" wasn't accurate, then what was supposed to happen in the ending? Was there an end-title gag?

The end title gag from Riot in Rhythm can be seen on this photo of a print from an ebay listing: http://www.cartoonresearch.com/riotrhythend.jpg

Riot was a carbon copy of 'Nephews, so the end gag would have been the same, which is supported by the jumpcut to a.a.p. titles on the B&W print.

As far as I can see, it hasn't been established firmly in this topic yet that the original ending for 'Nephews is lost forever. Warners might just not have used it for whatever reason - the original (not recreated!) opening titles are there on the DVD release.
Pasko  
#146 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 4:45:54 AM(UTC)
Pasko

Man

And before I forget, The Hungry Goat has its opening titles recreated as well. The cut-off point to the recreation is very likely the last shot of the cartoon ("Popeye, come down here!"). BTW, that's a really excellent recreation, especially for its time. That's what happens when you give the job to somebody who actually cares.
tashlinfan44  
#147 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 6:42:12 AM(UTC)
tashlinfan44

Originally Posted by: Pasko Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Gnik_LJN Go to Quoted Post
Wait, if the ending title for "Me Musical Nephews" wasn't accurate, then what was supposed to happen in the ending? Was there an end-title gag?

The end title gag from Riot in Rhythm can be seen on this photo of a print from an ebay listing: http://www.cartoonresearch.com/riotrhythend.jpg

Riot was a carbon copy of 'Nephews, so the end gag would have been the same, which is supported by the jumpcut to a.a.p. titles on the B&W print.

As far as I can see, it hasn't been established firmly in this topic yet that the original ending for 'Nephews is lost forever. Warners might just not have used it for whatever reason - the original (not recreated!) opening titles are there on the DVD release.

“Porky In Wackyland” has an end gag that wasn’t the same as “Dough for the Do-Do”’s end gag. We aren’t sure for a fact that Me Musical Nephews has an end gag that’s the same as the gag for Riot in Rhythm.

On the topic of recreated titles, I’m still having a hard time finding out which Popeye cartoon shows on the 2007-08 DVDs have fake fades and which have real fades. Anyone know where I can find a list of cartoons that had fake fades present?
Einhander  
#148 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 6:49:14 AM(UTC)
Einhander

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 15 post(s)
The possibility of seeing the original ending to "Riot in Rhythm" in the next set will be the only reason I'll ever watch that cartoon again. God....when you've seen "Me Musical Nephews", "Riot" becomes outright painful to watch because the timing is so off. The worst part about it is that Tom Johnson directed both.

Edited by user Sunday, September 29, 2019 6:50:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pasko  
#149 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 7:49:32 AM(UTC)
Pasko

Man

“Porky In Wackyland” has an end gag that wasn’t the same as “Dough for the Do-Do”’s end gag. We aren’t sure for a fact that Me Musical Nephews has an end gag that’s the same as the gag for Riot in Rhythm.

Well, the comparison doesn't stand. Warners didn't do cheaters often, while Famous was ecologically way ahead of its time back in the 1940s and 1950s - they recycled every damn thing over and over.
tashlinfan44  
#150 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 8:00:27 PM(UTC)
tashlinfan44

Well, the comparison doesn't stand. Warners didn't do cheaters often, while Famous was ecologically way ahead of its time back in the 1940s and 1950s - they recycled every damn thing over and over.

OK, I'll give that to you. I don't know why Famous was more repetitive than every other studio....maybe because of low budgets? Maybe because of Seymour Kneitel? I've never been sure about anything Famous.....that's why I'm hoping that Thad's NY Animation book comes soon enough.
Thad Komorowski  
#151 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:25:48 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 47 post(s)

OK, I'll give that to you. I don't know why Famous was more repetitive than every other studio....maybe because of low budgets? Maybe because of Seymour Kneitel? I've never been sure about anything Famous.....that's why I'm hoping that Thad's NY Animation book comes soon enough.

That's a ways away, but next episode of Cartoon Logic will delve into that very subject... Our first episode covers some of that Famous history, but since the cartoons take a real nosedive with Vol. 3, our discussion will address this with what we know...

http://cartoonlogic.libsyn.com/
tashlinfan44  
#152 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:28:41 AM(UTC)
tashlinfan44

That's a ways away, but next episode of Cartoon Logic will delve into that very subject... Our first episode covers some of that Famous history, but since the cartoons take a real nosedive with Vol. 3, our discussion will address this with what we know...

http://cartoonlogic.libsyn.com/

Since the podcast talks about the best cartoons of all time, and knowing what you like, I assume we’ll be getting into a Herman and Katnip cartoon, with extra analysis on Famous as a whole.
Ken Layton  
#153 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 12:49:40 AM(UTC)
Ken Layton

Man
United States

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 59 post(s)
In regards to the quality of Rocket To Mars. To me, it's always had a "bassy" and somewhat "muffled" soundtrack even on the AAP prints. I'm wondering if all they were able to find in the vaults were a dupe picture negative and a dupe sound negative? Perhaps the original negatives were missing or severely deteriorated?
Leviathan  
#154 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2019 10:12:46 PM(UTC)
Leviathan

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I think it has something to do with the Cinecolor. All's Fair At The Fair and Olive Oyl For President are also a bit out on the rough looking side.

The Polacolor shorts are pretty much razor sharp, even A Wolf in Sheik's Clothing, missing color record notwithstanding.
Thad Komorowski  
#155 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 11:05:55 PM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 47 post(s)
The latest Cartoon Logic discussing Popeye Vol. 3 is up...
http://cartoonlogic.libs...peye-again-a-balmy-swami
thanks 2 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 10/14/2019(UTC), Jason Todd on 10/15/2019(UTC)
Ken Layton  
#156 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:00:38 PM(UTC)
Ken Layton

Man
United States

Popeye Meets Hercules screenshots from the DVD version.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:25:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Ken Layton for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 10/24/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 10/25/2019(UTC), Lee B on 10/29/2019(UTC)
Ken Layton  
#157 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:06:04 PM(UTC)
Ken Layton

Man
United States

More screenshots of Popeye Meets Hercules.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:06:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Ken Layton for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 10/25/2019(UTC), Lee B on 10/29/2019(UTC)
Ken Layton  
#158 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:14:46 PM(UTC)
Ken Layton

Man
United States

Symphony In Spinach screenshots from the DVD version.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:26:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ken Layton  
#159 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:18:50 PM(UTC)
Ken Layton

Man
United States

More from Symphony In Spinach.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Ken Layton  
#160 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:23:13 PM(UTC)
Ken Layton

Man
United States

Here's a couple of screenshots from Olive Oyl For President from the DVD version.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:26:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified