Popeye The Sailor The 1940's Volume 3 This September!!!- Page 4 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
8 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Leviathan  
#61 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:15:36 AM(UTC)
Leviathan

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Balmi Swami is weird, since it was one of the cartoons to have been restored for The Popeye show.

Cartoon Network could find the original soundtrack in 2003, but WAC couldnt now?

Edited by user Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:25:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pasko  
#62 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:31:33 AM(UTC)
Pasko

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If I remember correctly, Balmy Swami's cue was only recreated for that show.

As for the errors, they multiply with each release and again show that nobody checks these things. A different intro - starting on a black screen - after 10 cartoons would have been noticed by anyone. The repeated Abusement Park cue is now even more ridiculous as 'President's is chronologically more appropriate.
Leviathan  
#63 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2019 11:46:12 PM(UTC)
Leviathan

United States

So, does that mean Tar With a Star has it's original closing cue, at least?
HeySteve  
#64 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 12:45:15 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leviathan Go to Quoted Post

It sounded like the real thing to me. If it was borrowed from another cartoon, I did not recognize which one. But, at this point it seems WAC’s strategy is if the original music cues (intro and/or close) aren’t available, they will just borrow them from “Abusement Park”.
Mesterius  
#65 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 5:07:41 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 236 time(s) in 120 post(s)
I really hope this increase in audio errors will not be a trend in WAC's future cartoon releases. Maybe they should take just a little more time between each volume to make sure they get this stuff right? It's great that the sales are going so well they can come out faster, but at the same time, one volume every six months or so would be preferable if it meant they make sure the cartoons actually have the correct title music.
Duck Dodgers  
#66 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 2:56:25 PM(UTC)
Duck Dodgers

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HeySteve Go to Quoted Post

It sounded like the real thing to me. If it was borrowed from another cartoon, I did not recognize which one. But, at this point it seems WAC’s strategy is if the original music cues (intro and/or close) aren’t available, they will just borrow them from “Abusement Park”.

We are lucky they did not use "Porky's Tire Trouble" :))
thanks 1 user thanked Duck Dodgers for this useful post.
Thad Komorowski on 9/16/2019(UTC)
Mesterius  
#67 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 9:10:53 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Duck Dodgers Go to Quoted Post

We are lucky they did not use "Porky's Tire Trouble" :))

Yeah, but the tendency to borrow opening music from one specific cartoon has some disturbing similarities (despite the vastly better quality standards of the Popeye releases).
Leviathan  
#68 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 9:41:38 PM(UTC)
Leviathan

United States

Yeah, it's just a tad disheartening that WAC hasn't fully learned their lesson from Porky 101, though at least this time the picture quality is faultless.

This shouldn't be a trend if WAC keeps going back to the negatives, since those have suffered far less damage than the Popeyes did under a.a.p.

Edited by user Monday, September 16, 2019 9:42:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mesterius  
#69 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 11:35:41 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Yeah, it's just a tad disheartening that WAC hasn't fully learned their lesson from Porky 101, though at least this time the picture quality is faultless.

This shouldn't be a trend if WAC keeps going back to the negatives, since those have suffered far less damage than the Popeyes did under a.a.p.

I'm still surprised errors like these are happening at all. I thought Jerry was working closely with George Feltenstein on details like title music.
Leviathan  
#70 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:43:45 AM(UTC)
Leviathan

United States

While annoying, it's better than the alternative. At least the cartoons are actually coming out.
Mesterius  
#71 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:31:22 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

While annoying, it's better than the alternative. At least the cartoons are actually coming out.

They are, but it's still disappointing. And I REALLY hope quality control will be much better if Tex Avery from WAC ever happens. In that case, since it's MGM cartoons, it's also important to choose the best CRI negatives to transfer from (which didn't happen with ten of the films on the first Tom and Jerry Golden Collection set).
nickramer  
#72 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:50:16 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 229 post(s)
They had some minor trouble with the opening and closing for the Fleischer Popeye cartoons if I recall and people gave an overly big fat hairy deal of it.
HeySteve  
#73 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:06:50 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
They had some minor trouble with the opening and closing for the Fleischer Popeye cartoons if I recall and people gave an overly big fat hairy deal of it.

That was Vol. 2 of the Fleischer shorts where some cartoons had truncated openings. While it is annoying, I do agree that this is better than not getting these cartoons at all on an official release.
Einhander  
#74 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:29:20 AM(UTC)
Einhander

United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Was there any kind of overt backlash when the Fleischer/Famous Superman cartoons had incorrect opening and ending cues for a bunch of them in the Warner set?
Ken Layton  
#75 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:07:01 AM(UTC)
Ken Layton

Man
United States

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Got my notice that my copy has just shipped. :)
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Layton for this useful post.
Lee B on 9/18/2019(UTC)
Lee B  
#76 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 4:22:08 AM(UTC)
Lee B

United States

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ken Layton Go to Quoted Post

Just to keep pace with Ken, I'll mention that both my Blu and DVD from WB Shop arrived today. I don't remember the previous volumes arriving in the mail on the release date like this. Maybe they're trying to be a little more competitive with the other online retailers who ship early.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:24:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: removed reference to damaged item that wasn't actually damaged.

ToonStar95  
#77 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:21:24 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Mine hasn't shipped yet. The current Amazon listings says it's the #1-selling new release in animation, and that it "usually ships within 1 to 3 months".
HeySteve  
#78 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:31:29 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

Originally Posted by: Lee B Go to Quoted Post

Just to keep pace with Ken, I'll mention that both my Blu and DVD from WB Shop arrived today. I don't remember the previous volumes arriving in the mail on the release date like this. Maybe they're trying to be a little more competitive with the other online retailers who ship early.

Both my Jetsons a few days ago and Popeye Vol. 3 today had slightly cracked cases...so much for bubble mailers.

I ordered from Best Buy and my copy arrived a few days early. It was shipped in a thick cardboard envelope with no bubble wrap. My copy arrived with a few cracks at the top of the case on both the front and the back. I guess that is what you get for placing an order while they were offering free shipping. At least no damage was done to the disc itself, so overall not that big of a deal.
HeySteve  
#79 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:38:07 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 Go to Quoted Post
Mine hasn't shipped yet. The current Amazon listings says it's the #1-selling new release in animation, and that it "usually ships within 1 to 3 months".

The exact same thing happened with Vol. 2 and I am not surprised it happened again. There has been a consistent pattern where Amazon (supposedly) does not have stock of new releases from WAC. That is why I did not go through Amazon to order Vol. 3, and why I will not use them to pre-order anything going forward.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:40:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lee B  
#80 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:23:05 AM(UTC)
Lee B

United States

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lee B Go to Quoted Post

Both my Jetsons a few days ago and Popeye Vol. 3 today had slightly cracked cases...so much for bubble mailers.

I ordered from Best Buy and my copy arrived a few days early. It was shipped in a thick cardboard envelope with no bubble wrap. My copy arrived with a few cracks at the top of the case on both the front and the back. I guess that is what you get for placing an order while they were offering free shipping. At least no damage was done to the disc itself, so overall not that big of a deal.

I'm a jackass. My Popeye Volume 3 was fine after all...what appeared to be a crack in the case was a thick imperfection in the outer shrink wrap. (Jetsons was cracked tho.)

But I'm with you...if the discs themselves aren't damaged and the case is still sort of okay, I live with it.