Kino/MGM announces The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection- Page 4 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TibbyH  
#61 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 11:56:59 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bort Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
A rather nice surprise there. And no costly disc replacement service required.

The theatrical version of "Pink Outs" on Volume 3 is unrestored (there are lots of lines and other noise on the image), so it doesn't look as nice as the other cartoons, but that might actually be a good thing...

I'm watching the other cartoons on the disc now and I noticed that Kino Lorber's excessive use of automatic DNR has ruined "The Pink Quarterback". In that cartoon, Pink's co-star is a quarter (as in, the coin), but Kino's software thinks the coin is noise and erased it from a bunch of frames! The old MGM DVDs are fine.

The same issue exists in the DePatie-Freleng Collection sets. The Blue Racer short "Yokahama Mama" has the same problem as featured in Pink Quarterback.

I still think Greg Ford and his team did an excellent job remastering these otherwise forgotten and unloved cartoons, but the DNR thing is a drawback. I really don't wanna seem defensive, but I cannot stress how much better these Blu-rays are than the unrestored laugh track heavy MGM DVDs (even with the DVR problem, which mind you is an issue).

Edited by user Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:06:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mesterius  
#62 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:42:25 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 202 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TibbyH Go to Quoted Post

The theatrical version of "Pink Outs" on Volume 3 is unrestored (there are lots of lines and other noise on the image), so it doesn't look as nice as the other cartoons, but that might actually be a good thing...

I'm watching the other cartoons on the disc now and I noticed that Kino Lorber's excessive use of automatic DNR has ruined "The Pink Quarterback". In that cartoon, Pink's co-star is a quarter (as in, the coin), but Kino's software thinks the coin is noise and erased it from a bunch of frames! The old MGM DVDs are fine.

The same issue exists in the DePatie-Freleng Collection sets. The Blue Racer short "Yokahama Mama" has the same problem as featured in Pink Quarterback.

I still think Greg Ford and his team did an excellent job remastering these otherwise forgotten and unloved cartoons, but the DNR thing is a drawback. I really don't wanna seem defensive, but I cannot stress how much better these Blu-rays are than the unrestored laugh track heavy MGM DVDs (even with the DVR problem, which mind you is an issue).

Well, damn... I looked at bort's comparison just now, and that looks absolutely terrible.

DVD

Blu-ray

One of my favorite Panther toons ruined by DNR. Maybe not buy that volume then...

But why are they using DNR on auto-pilot to begin with? If they use it at all, they need to go back in and turn it off where it's actually doing damage instead of cleaning up.
TibbyH  
#63 Posted : Sunday, December 9, 2018 11:44:48 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

Hello everyone! So I've been going through the first two volumes of the Kino Pink Panther sets and the goods news is they do not suffer from the DNR issues plagued by Volume 3.

There's a lot of great positive additions no one has mentioned yet like the fact all cartoons have their original title themes and don't have problems the MGM DVD had. So cartoons like "We Give Pink Stamps" and "The Pink Blueprint" sound like they did on their original theatrical release. Or even the fact that Super Pink has its original sound design intact and doesn't replace gun shots like in the MGM disc.

It confuses me why Volume 3 in particular seems to have extremely bad video noise issues. Previous sets had their slight hindrances, but this was something else. I can only hope Volume 4 doesn't share the same issue (fingers crossed the Pink Streaker titles will be intact)
thanks 1 user thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
Toonatic on 12/10/2018(UTC)
TibbyH  
#64 Posted : Sunday, December 9, 2018 11:59:30 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

The print for "Pink Outs" used in Volume 2 was in pretty poor shape with the screen almost completely covered in film scratches. Are you sure it's not just the same print reused for Volume 3 because it has all the issues you bring up.

Edited by user Sunday, December 9, 2018 12:01:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Toonatic  
#65 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 4:40:29 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 240 time(s) in 171 post(s)
It confuses me why Volume 3 in particular seems to have extremely bad video noise issues. Previous sets had their slight hindrances, but this was something else. I can only hope Volume 4 doesn't share the same issue (fingers crossed the Pink Streaker titles will be intact)

*ahem*
http://www.intanibase.co...oon-Collection#post24994 ;)

But yeah, maybe we should tell Kino or someone to easy up on the DNR or don't use any at all?
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
TibbyH on 12/10/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#66 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:13:20 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

I got The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Volume 4 today and OMG Pink Streaker looks beautiful! No longer a 70's TV print, but with its original titles (although sourced from what appears to be a low-quality VHS/Youtube upload, BUT better than nothing!) and natural colors! Simply gorgeous. ^_^

No DNR problems (like Volume 3 unfortunately) as far as I can tell.

And you can tell your friends on this day that all the Pink Panther cartoons are at long last 100% laugh-track free on DVD and Blu-ray!!!

Edited by user Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:11:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
eutychus on 1/16/2019(UTC)
Mark The Shark  
#67 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:01:10 AM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
I got The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Volume 4 today and OMG Pink Streaker looks beautiful! No longer a 70's TV print, but with its original titles (although source from what appears to be a loq-quality VHS/Youtube upload, BUT better than nothing!) and natural colors! Simply gorgeous. ^_^

No DNR problems (like Volume 3 unfortunately) as far as I can tell.

And you can tell your friends on this day that all the Pink Panther cartoons are at long last 100% laugh-track free on DVD and Blu-ray!!!

That's interesting. "Pink Streaker" has original titles when it runs on the Pink Panther TV show. Looks fine there.

Mesterius  
#68 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:48:54 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

I got The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Volume 4 today and OMG Pink Streaker looks beautiful! No longer a 70's TV print, but with its original titles (although sourced from what appears to be a low-quality VHS/Youtube upload, BUT better than nothing!) and natural colors! Simply gorgeous. ^_^

I'm confused by this... you say the titles for PINK STREAKER look like they're sourced from a low-quality VHS or even a "YouTube upload"?? How can that be the case? Aren't these original titles preserved on film masters?
thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 1/17/2019(UTC)
Mesterius  
#69 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 12:51:33 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

I'm confused by this... you say the titles for PINK STREAKER look like they're sourced from a low-quality VHS or even a "YouTube upload"?? How can that be the case? Aren't these original titles preserved on film masters?

Adding to this, could anyone who has the set (Blu-ray or DVD) upload some screenshots of the titles?
PopKorn Kat on 1/18/2019(UTC)
Toonatic  
#70 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2019 2:36:19 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Amazon has the Blu-ray edition of The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Volume 5 up for pre-order (DVD edition not up yet)!:

https://www.amazon.com/P...n-Blu-ray/dp/B07NBC89K1/

And here are the extras!:

-NEW Audio commentaries for selected films, by author Mark Arnold, historian Jerry Beck, filmmaker Greg Ford and cartoon writer William Hohauser

-Think Pink - How to Draw Pink Panther with Art Leonardi (4:14)

-Animated Main Titles For All 8 Blake Edward Pink Panther Films (9:00)

Kind of weird how Kino manage to get the clearence from Shout! to include the main titles for the first 6 Edwards films, but then again, they are owned by MGM so...

It's going to be interesting to see if they'll used the Blu-ray transfers for those which they probably will.

And if you like to know, there will be a total of 23 shorts in this release:

https://forum.blu-ray.co...3300&postcount=28119

And for those like me who are wondering about the 3 TV specials (4 if you count A Very Pink Christmas), Mark Arnold had this to say via a comment on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com...ment_id=1300903536729626

"I am trying to get the three Pink Panther specials released, too, but I don't think it will happen. At least, not right now."
Mesterius  
#71 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:51:34 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Thanks for the info, Toonatic.

And for those like me who are wondering about the 3 TV specials (4 if you count A Very Pink Christmas), Mark Arnold had this to say via a comment on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com...ment_id=1300903536729626

"I am trying to get the three Pink Panther specials released, too, but I don't think it will happen. At least, not right now."

I don't think anyone counts the 2011 special A Very Pink Christmas along with the classic Depatie-Freleng stuff. I certainly have no need to get it released together with the D-F productions.
Mesterius  
#72 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 2:29:24 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

-Animated Main Titles For All 8 Blake Edward Pink Panther Films (9:00)

Kind of weird how Kino manage to get the clearence from Shout! to include the main titles for the first 6 Edwards films, but then again, they are owned by MGM so...

The Return of the Pink Panther (1975) isn't, though? As far as I know, it's still owned by United Artists. That was always the problem with that specific film, until Shout! Factory was smart enough to license it separately from the MGM-owned films to make a complete set with all the Edwards/Sellers movies.
Toonatic  
#73 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:47:19 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

United Artists is owned by MGM, has been since 1981. Return however had it's rights problems since day one. At the time United Artists was not interested in doing another Pink Panther film, but Edwards and ITC were so ITC would finance the film while United Artists agreed to handled distribution in return for world distribution and a share of the profits. Because of this, UA would own the copyright to the film and while ITC handled distribution after (ironically Fox had a home video deal with both United Artists AND ITC in the 80's making them at the time the only studio that release all the films under one roof). Years went on and in 2006 Universal/Focus Features acquired home video rights, then in 2008 MGM reacquired theatrical, streaming, and TV rights. It wasn't until 2015 when MGM manage to acquire the home video rights from ITV, bringing Return of The Pink Panther finally home to MGM 40 years after its release (although ITV still owns international ownership with Universal handling home distribution and for whatever reason according to the Shout! releases, my guess is that Universal is still distributing the film on home video in the States under MGM's behalf. :/ ).

I don't think anyone counts the 2011 special A Very Pink Christmas along with the classic Depatie-Freleng stuff. I certainly have no need to get it released together with the D-F productions.

Point taken. Though for the sake of completeness, I think it can work as a bonus feature/special.

Edited by user Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:55:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TibbyH  
#74 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:36:00 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

For those interested, Blu-ray.com posted their review of Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol 4.
thanks 1 user thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
Mesterius on 2/12/2019(UTC)
Mesterius  
#75 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:17:08 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

For those interested, Blu-ray.com posted their review of Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol 4.

Thanks! I'm noticing the review has the following to say about the titles for PINK STREAKER (under "Video Quality")...

Quote:
The main titles on "Pink Streaker" are taken from the DVD release.

The way I'm reading this, the main titles are upscaled SD whereas the rest is true HD. Is that what the deal with this is? That makes a bit more sense to me than the the earlier comment about the titles looking like they came from a VHS or a YouTube upload (it would be very strange if that was the case). Still, would be interesting to see a screenshot or two of these titles.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:19:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TibbyH on 2/13/2019(UTC)
Toonatic  
#76 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2019 2:35:14 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Quote:

The way I'm reading this, the main titles are upscaled SD whereas the rest is true HD. Is that what the deal with this is? That makes a bit more sense to me than the the earlier comment about the titles looking like they came from a VHS or a YouTube upload (it would be very strange if that was the case). Still, would be interesting to see a screenshot or two of these titles.

Yes, that's the deal. Better that than TV titles, you got to admit that and the colors look more natural.
Mesterius  
#77 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2019 4:51:30 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Quote:

Yes, that's the deal. Better that than TV titles, you got to admit that and the colors look more natural.

Right; but in that case, "DVD quality" would be a better way to describe it than "VHS/YouTube" quality. ;) So the titles are literally taken from the earlier US DVD release of the Panther toons?