Jerry Beck on Stu's Show - 3/18/20- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
nickramer  
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 10:26:43 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 331 time(s) in 263 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leviathan Go to Quoted Post
I'd drop the series then. Not doing the shorts chronologically is 9ne thing; omitting cartoons is another.

You want to jump to conclusions now? Seriously?
thanks 1 user thanked nickramer for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 3/19/2020(UTC)
Mesterius  
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 11:06:19 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 362 time(s) in 171 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fulano7 Go to Quoted Post
I may be wrong, but Jerry has mentioned the possibility of pushing up vol. 2 to be released before North American Summer (June)?

The cartoons on Tex Avery V1 were chosen because the materials were in the best shape.

Starting to get worried about Tex and the talk of omitted cartoons. Were they really myopic enough to set themselves up for a repeat of the Tom and Jerry debacle?

I don't like to be pessimistic but today Jerry contradicted the "Nothing will be skipped" statement he did in Facebook. It looks like WB is very reluctant about the un-PC shorts. He said we should be glad of the ones we are getting.

In my POV this means it's very unlikely that we get the 2 most un-PC cartoons.

What are the two most un-PC cartoons? "Uncle Tom's Cabana" and...?

Edited by user Thursday, March 19, 2020 11:23:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

fulano7  
#23 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 12:25:07 PM(UTC)
fulano7

Man
Brazil

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
I may be wrong, but Jerry has mentioned the possibility of pushing up vol. 2 to be released before North American Summer (June)?

The cartoons on Tex Avery V1 were chosen because the materials were in the best shape.

Starting to get worried about Tex and the talk of omitted cartoons. Were they really myopic enough to set themselves up for a repeat of the Tom and Jerry debacle?

I don't like to be pessimistic but today Jerry contradicted the "Nothing will be skipped" statement he did in Facebook. It looks like WB is very reluctant about the un-PC shorts. He said we should be glad of the ones we are getting.

... Half-Pint Pigmy
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
mellongraig93  
#24 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 1:28:33 PM(UTC)
mellongraig93

Canada

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Did any of you miss the 206 minute show? Despite attempting to limit to 2 hours and later 3, fear not! It is now up on the archives right here in both audio and video versions:

https://www.stusshow.com/archives.php
Traveling Matt  
#25 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 2:53:07 PM(UTC)
Traveling Matt

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 4 post(s)

If this is accurate, I sure hope they strongly consider sales of Volume 1 and what it would mean to create another Tom and Jerry debacle. There'd be less publicity this time, but it's also a smaller, concentrated market that knows what they're getting. Or if they don't know, they'll read about it whereever they go for Volume 2 news.

Warner Archive should be above this. It's not Warner Home Video. To say nothing of the misleading comment that appears to be deliberate (either from Jerry or he was misled himself).

It would be nice to get this clarified.
thanks 4 users thanked Traveling Matt for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 3/19/2020(UTC), Jason Todd on 3/19/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 3/19/2020(UTC), fulano7 on 3/20/2020(UTC)
Mesterius  
#26 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 4:47:17 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

... Half-Pint Pigmy

Ahhh, of course.
Sinbad75  
#27 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 9:39:52 PM(UTC)
Sinbad75

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Jerry was asked a question about Barney Bear and the possibility of this series of cartoons being released on Blu-ray. He intimated that that series was not really being looked at, but that MGM has "other" great series of cartoons. Based on his hinting, and the fact that a great 42 cartoon laser disc set of Harmon-Ising/Happy Harmonies was released under both Jerry's and George Feltenstein's production supervision, I think that series (the Happy Harmonies) may very well be in the cue! Let's hope so! Dancing
thanks 2 users thanked Sinbad75 for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 3/19/2020(UTC), Jason Todd on 3/20/2020(UTC)
fulano7  
#28 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 11:11:27 PM(UTC)
fulano7

Man
Brazil

Originally Posted by: Sinbad75 Go to Quoted Post
Jerry was asked a question about Barney Bear and the possibility of this series of cartoons being released on Blu-ray. He intimated that that series was not really being looked at, but that MGM has "other" great series of cartoons. Based on his hinting, and the fact that a great 42 cartoon laser disc set of Harmon-Ising/Happy Harmonies was released under both Jerry's and George Feltenstein's production supervision, I think that series (the Happy Harmonies) may very well be in the cue! Let's hope so! Dancing

Stu called Barney Bear "boring" but it's still better than most of Famous Studios and Terrytoons from the same time. And better than Barney are the Happy Harmonies and the 1938-1944 one-shots (spiritual successors to Happy Harmonies).

Best thing about the MGM library is that it's very good and very small. All 37 Happy Harmonies fit in 2 volumes, like the 38 1938-1944 one-shots. Could include Spyke and Tyke, Good Will to Men and the 2 Chuck Jones one-shots. Barney Bear with 26 films fits in 1 or 2 volumes. The transitory Freleng/Gross/Fischinger stuff (18 shorts) fits in 1 single release. It's very easy to design and I've done it multiple times mentally... Lol
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
thanks 2 users thanked fulano7 for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 3/19/2020(UTC), Jason Todd on 3/20/2020(UTC)
fulano7  
#29 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 1:26:50 AM(UTC)
fulano7

Man
Brazil

Originally Posted by: Traveling Matt Go to Quoted Post

If this is accurate, I sure hope they strongly consider sales of Volume 1 and what it would mean to create another Tom and Jerry debacle. There'd be less publicity this time, but it's also a smaller, concentrated market that knows what they're getting. Or if they don't know, they'll read about it whereever they go for Volume 2 news.

Warner Archive should be above this. It's not Warner Home Video. To say nothing of the misleading comment that appears to be deliberate (either from Jerry or he was misled himself).

Jerry said that Happy-Go-Round was excluded in the last minute, but he didn't say explicitly. He "gave a hint" - something like "look at this list of 19 cartoons. It would be 20 - you know, there is one missing. Someone had mixed feelings about the missing cartoon; it'll be included in v2". I didn't realize he was talking about the only missing Screwy Squirrel, but Thad did.

In no moment, when questioned about politically incorrect material and the completeness of the collection, he firmly stated that if sales keep going well, we'll get all 67 cartoons. He kept saying things like "we'll do the best we can" etc. Such lack of assurance let me slightly disappointed... I was hoping to hear that if at least the sales keep going well, we can finish Avery filmography and nothing will be skipped.
Mesterius  
#30 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 5:27:56 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Sinbad75 Go to Quoted Post

Stu called Barney Bear "boring" but it's still better than most of Famous Studios and Terrytoons from the same time. And better than Barney are the Happy Harmonies and the 1938-1944 one-shots (spiritual successors to Happy Harmonies).

Best thing about the MGM library is that it's very good and very small. All 37 Happy Harmonies fit in 2 volumes, like the 38 1938-1944 one-shots. Could include Spyke and Tyke, Good Will to Men and the 2 Chuck Jones one-shots. Barney Bear with 26 films fits in 1 or 2 volumes. The transitory Freleng/Gross/Fischinger stuff (18 shorts) fits in 1 single release. It's very easy to design and I've done it multiple times mentally... Lol

Really disappointing to hear that Barney Bear is not being looked at. As you say, it would fit perfectly in one or two volumes. (But of course, even with that series there's the problem of blackface scenes in some of the films if you're going for a complete edition.)
Mesterius  
#31 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 7:34:49 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Jerry said that Happy-Go-Round was excluded in the last minute, but he didn't say explicitly. He "gave a hint" - something like "look at this list of 19 cartoons. It would be 20 - you know, there is one missing. Someone had mixed feelings about the missing cartoon; it'll be included in v2". I didn't realize he was talking about the only missing Screwy Squirrel, but Thad did.

In no moment, when questioned about politically incorrect material and the completeness of the collection, he firmly stated that if sales keep going well, we'll get all 67 cartoons. He kept saying things like "we'll do the best we can" etc. Such lack of assurance let me slightly disappointed... I was hoping to hear that if at least the sales keep going well, we can finish Avery filmography and nothing will be skipped.

Yowp had a somewhat different interpretation of Jerry's words in his blog post about the Stu's Show podcast. One of the conclusions he drew is that "Eventually, all of Tex’s MGM cartoons will be released."
Duck Dodgers  
#32 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2020 6:57:33 PM(UTC)
Duck Dodgers

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Yowp had a somewhat different interpretation of Jerry's words in his blog post about the Stu's Show podcast. One of the conclusions he drew is that "Eventually, all of Tex’s MGM cartoons will be released."

I do have the same interpretation. I guess that the 2 most unPC shorts will be scheduled for the last volume of the series.

raginggoodfella  
#33 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 4:39:44 AM(UTC)
raginggoodfella

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Since the official reason for the way they are releasing these Avery cartoons is a lie, then release all of them on next set and be done with it. Including all the Screwy Squirrel shorts except that one should have been to warning to us, that this would another T&J fiasco.

Edited by user Monday, March 23, 2020 4:40:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pasko  
#34 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 6:20:16 AM(UTC)
Pasko

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mellongraig93 Go to Quoted Post

On the other hand, Jerry showed a quick Buzzy Boop at the Concert short from 1938 on his cell phone. Let's hope it does get restored along with the other 3 ones that are possible.

Sorry, did I miss something on the forum? Was Buzzy Boop at the Concert discovered somewhere?? Great news if that's indeed the case.
Traveling Matt  
#35 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 9:44:03 AM(UTC)
Traveling Matt

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: raginggoodfella Go to Quoted Post
Since the official reason for the way they are releasing these Avery cartoons is a lie, then release all of them on next set and be done with it. Including all the Screwy Squirrel shorts except that one should have been to warning to us, that this would another T&J fiasco.

In truth this entire series could fit comfortably on one dual-layer, 50GB Blu-ray.

dbear  
#36 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 10:30:01 AM(UTC)
dbear

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 235 time(s) in 118 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pasko Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mellongraig93 Go to Quoted Post

On the other hand, Jerry showed a quick Buzzy Boop at the Concert short from 1938 on his cell phone. Let's hope it does get restored along with the other 3 ones that are possible.

Sorry, did I miss something on the forum? Was Buzzy Boop at the Concert discovered somewhere?? Great news if that's indeed the case.

Yes, a little unfortunate to see this low-key discovery buried in the "Jerry said this, no he said that" kerfuffle.

Relying off memory, supposedly a print was discovered in Gosfilmofond last year and will hopefully be preserved by ASIFA.

Which means we now know elements exist for all 4 "lost" Betty Boops which were not part of the UM&M TV package (barring the still missing soundtrack to Honest Love and True).
thanks 4 users thanked dbear for this useful post.
Toadette on 3/23/2020(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 3/23/2020(UTC), Pasko on 3/23/2020(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 3/24/2020(UTC)
Mesterius  
#37 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 5:59:58 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: raginggoodfella Go to Quoted Post

In truth this entire series could fit comfortably on one dual-layer, 50GB Blu-ray.

I don't think that's true. The 19 shorts on Volume 1 take up 37.6 GB, and we still have 46 shorts to go (or more, depending on whether they also include the Cinemascope remakes and the Droopy shorts directed by Dick Lundy and Mike Lah).
Pasko  
#38 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 8:28:03 PM(UTC)
Pasko

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dbear Go to Quoted Post

Yes, a little unfortunate to see this low-key discovery buried in the "Jerry said this, no he said that" kerfuffle.

Relying off memory, supposedly a print was discovered in Gosfilmofond last year and will hopefully be preserved by ASIFA.

Which means we now know elements exist for all 4 "lost" Betty Boops which were not part of the UM&M TV package (barring the still missing soundtrack to Honest Love and True).

Thanks for clarifying. Russia of all places!
Now, off to some missing Talkartoons and Screen Songs Applause

EDIT: I watched the stream now, Jerry showed the opening titles and the first few shots. The print appears to be in great condition. The cartoon is being restored by ASIFA at the moment. The process to get it was very complicated (it took over a year) and Jerry will give more on the story some other time.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 24, 2020 1:23:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added info