Bugs Bunny Golden Carrot Collection coming out in April - Forum.
WaltWiz1901
2020-02-07T20:43:15Z
Well, looks like we're getting an even bigger supply of double-dipped cartoons on April 14th ...

...on DVD, no less. Hard pass for me. (Seriously, why no new HD release of any kind for these shorts this year?! If you don't think perhaps your most popular character can warrant a lavish collection with (both repeated and new-to-disc) shorts in a resolution higher than 480p for his 80th anniversary, you have a serious problem...)
Jason Todd
2020-02-07T22:29:08Z
Jerry Beck was working on two new releases; one for Warner Archive (Tex Avery Blu-ray), and one for Warner Home Video.

If THIS was the release Mr. Beck was curating for Warner Home Video proper...I dunno, man. I already have all six volumes of the Golden Collection DVDs. I really hope not.
WaltWiz1901
2020-02-07T23:16:55Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

Jerry Beck was working on two new releases; one for Warner Archive (Tex Avery Blu-ray), and one for Warner Home Video.

If THIS was the release Mr. Beck was curating for Warner Home Video proper...I dunno, man. I already have all six volumes of the Golden Collection DVDs. I really hope not.

I strongly doubt this was Beck's doing...if it was, we would've seen at least a few unreleased shorts and maybe a Blu-ray release.

"...is intended for the adult collector and may not be suitable for children" my ass. Most of the so-called "adult" collectors this collection's supposedly aimed at already have all of the shorts included! Even the back cover admits that the contents were originally released as part of the Golden Collection, so what exactly is Warner trying to do here? By making this a DVD-only release and filling it up with things that *its* intended demographic already has in some way, shape, or form, are they deliberately trying to make and sell a bomb?
Kristjan
2020-02-08T17:01:57Z
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 

Well, looks like we're getting an even bigger supply of double-dipped cartoons on April 14th ...

...on DVD, no less. Hard pass for me. (Seriously, why no new HD release of any kind for these shorts this year?! If you don't think perhaps your most popular character can warrant a lavish collection with (both repeated and new-to-disc) shorts in a resolution higher than 480p for his 80th anniversary, you have a serious problem...)

You got to give it to Warner Home Video they do love their doublex2x3x4x5 dips. So In that regard, they never disappoint you.

But if you are expecting them do the right thing and release more new-to-disc cartoons they have managed or most part to let everyone down since 2008. Since then there have been some odd chooses for the most part with few exceptions. Heck even some of the golden collections DVDs had odd chooses (which I suspect was part of the reason why those sets died at 6 volumes)
Kristjan
2020-02-08T17:16:01Z

Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

I strongly doubt this was Beck's doing...if it was, we would've seen at least a few unreleased shorts and maybe a Blu-ray release.

"...is intended for the adult collector and may not be suitable for children" my ass. Most of the so-called "adult" collectors this collection's supposedly aimed at already have all of the shorts included! Even the back cover admits that the contents were originally released as part of the Golden Collection, so what exactly is Warner trying to do here? By making this a DVD-only release and filling it up with things that *its* intended demographic already has in some way, shape, or form, are they deliberately trying to make and sell a bomb?

I haven't seen a single word from Jerry Beck on social media regarding this set, so I would like to think he's not involved here but if he's then Warner Home video is wasting his time. I would have expected that The Bugs Bunny Video Guide would have contacted him if he was.

The other possibility is that at this time of writing this is the oscar weekend thus he's preoccupied with that now. SO he will not comment until sometime next week. BUt it still sounds like waste of time as I previously stated erlier in this comment.
Toonatic
2020-02-09T01:35:57Z
I give Warner an A for effort, but it's still a mess. The first half of the features only? Wouldn't be surprised if the discs are exactly the same as the GC discs.

I know it's not easy making ends meet, but sometimes you have to break some eggs to make a decent product.

To further continue my point, I've orchestrated MY OWN TAKE (I say this in caps because the following IS NOT THE REAL INFO FOR THIS SET! I REPEAT, NOT THE REAL INFO!) of how I would've done the set based on the info I've seen.

I selected 73 shorts from the 6 Golden Collection, while the 74th short is A Wild Hare and I know it wasn't on ANY of the GC (save for Bugs Bunny Superstar) but for obvious reasons, I added it to the roster:

Disc 1:
-A Wild Hare
-Tortoise Beats Hare
-The Heckling Hare
-Wabbit Twouble
-The Wabbit Who Came to Supper
-The Wacky Wabbit
-Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid
-The Hare-Brained Hypnotist
-Case of the Missing Hare
-Tortoise Wins by a Hare
-Super-Rabbit
-Wackiki Wabbit
-Falling Hare
-Little Red Riding Rabbit
-Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears
-Buckaroo Bugs
-The Old Grey Hare
-Stage Door Cartoon
-Hare Trigger
-Hare Conditioned
-Hare Tonic
-Baseball Bugs
-Hare Remover
-Hair-Raising Hare
-Acrobatty Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries
-A Greeting from Chuck Jones
-Behind the Tunes featurettes

Disc 2:
-The Big Snooze
-Rhapsody Rabbit
-A Hare Grows in Manhattan
-Rabbit Transit
-Easter Yeggs
-Slick Hare
-Gorilla My Dreams
-Buccaneer Bunny
-Bugs Bunny Rides Again
-Haredevil Hare
-My Bunny Lies Over the Sea
-High Diving Hare
-Long-Haired Hare
-The Windblown Hare
-Rabbit Hood
-Big House Bunny
-What's Up, Doc
-8 Ball Bunny
-Hillbilly Hare
-Bunker Hill Bunny
-Rabbit of Seville
-Bunny Hugged
-Rabbit Fire
-French Rarebit
-Big Top Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries
-Music-Only (and Effects) tracks

Disc 3:
-Operation Rabbit
-14 Carrot Rabbit
-Water, Water Every Hare
-Rabbit Seasoning
-Rabbit's Kin
-Forward March Hare
-Bully for Bugs
-Duck, Rabbit, Duck
-Bugs and Thugs
-Bewitched Bunny
-Devil May Hare
-Baby Buggy Bunny
-Sahara Hare
-Rabbit Rampage
-Hyde and Hare
-Bugs' Bonnets
-Broom-Stick Bunny
-Barbary Coast Bunny
-A Star is Bored
-Ali Baba Bunny
-What's Opera, Doc
-Show Biz Bugs
-Knighty Knight Bugs
-Baton Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries

Disc 4:
-The Boys from Termite Terrace
-Chuck Amuck: The Movie
-Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes All-Star 50th Anniversary
-Bugs Bunny at the Movies excerpts
-From The Bugs Bunny Show vaults
-Trailer Gallery
-Stills gallery

Disc 5:
-Bugs Bunny Superstar
-Chuck Jones: Extremes & Inbetweens

So there you'd have it; 74 shorts (all family-friendly to boot so kids can enjoy the set too), the listed extras, and the COMPLETE features, not just the first half only (and the icingon the cake is that Bugs Bunny Superstar is the reconstructed version by the Warner Archive). THAT is how you're suppose to do it!

Not to brag but, people should listen to me more often. If they did, to quote my dad, they go right to the top!
WaltWiz1901
2020-02-09T02:43:52Z
Originally Posted by: Toonatic 

I give Warner an A for effort, but it's still a mess. The first half of the features only? Wouldn't be surprised if the discs are exactly the same as the GC discs.

I know it's not easy making ends meet, but sometimes you have to break some eggs to make a decent product.

Well said, Anthony, well said. If only the major studios could follow your advice and put more effort into their home video products!
Quote:

To further continue my point, I've orchestrated MY OWN TAKE (I say this in caps because the following IS NOT THE REAL INFO FOR THIS SET! I REPEAT, NOT THE REAL INFO!) of how I would've done the set based on the info I've seen.

I selected 73 shorts from the 6 Golden Collection, while the 74th short is A Wild Hare and I know it wasn't on ANY of the GC (save for Bugs Bunny Superstar) but for obvious reasons, I added it to the roster:

Disc 1:
-A Wild Hare
-Tortoise Beats Hare
-The Heckling Hare
-Wabbit Twouble
-The Wabbit Who Came to Supper
-The Wacky Wabbit
-Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid
-The Hare-Brained Hypnotist
-Case of the Missing Hare
-Tortoise Wins by a Hare
-Super-Rabbit
-Wackiki Wabbit
-Falling Hare
-Little Red Riding Rabbit
-Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears
-Buckaroo Bugs
-The Old Grey Hare
-Stage Door Cartoon
-Hare Trigger
-Hare Conditioned
-Hare Tonic
-Baseball Bugs
-Hare Remover
-Hair-Raising Hare
-Acrobatty Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries
-A Greeting from Chuck Jones

Disc 2:
-The Big Snooze
-Rhapsody Rabbit
-A Hare Grows in Manhattan
-Rabbit Transit
-Easter Yeggs
-Slick Hare
-Gorilla My Dreams
-Buccaneer Bunny
-Bugs Bunny Rides Again
-Haredevil Hare
-My Bunny Lies Over the Sea
-High Diving Hare
-Long-Haired Hare
-The Windblown Hare
-Rabbit Hood
-Big House Bunny
-What's Up, Doc
-8 Ball Bunny
-Hillbilly Hare
-Bunker Hill Bunny
-Rabbit of Seville
-Bunny Hugged
-Rabbit Fire
-French Rarebit
-Big Top Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries

Disc 3:
-Operation Rabbit
-14 Carrot Rabbit
-Water, Water Every Hare
-Rabbit Seasoning
-Rabbit's Kin
-Forward March Hare
-Bully for Bugs
-Duck, Rabbit, Duck
-Bugs and Thugs
-Bewitched Bunny
-Devil May Hare
-Baby Buggy Bunny
-Sahara Hare
-Rabbit Rampage
-Hyde and Hare
-Bugs' Bonnets
-Broom-Stick Bunny
-Barbary Coast Bunny
-A Star is Bored
-Ali Baba Bunny
-What's Opera, Doc
-Show Biz Bugs
-Knighty Knight Bugs
-Baton Bunny
Special Features
-Audio Commentaries

Disc 4:
-The Boys from Termite Terrace
-Chuck Amuck: The Movie
-Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes All-Star 50th Anniversary
-Bugs Bunny at the Movies excerpts
-Trailer Gallery
-Stills gallery

Disc 5:
-Bugs Bunny Superstar
-Chuck Jones: Extremes & Inbetweens

So there you'd have it; 74 shorts (all family-friendly to boot so kids can enjoy the set too), the listed extras, and the COMPLETE features, not just the first half only (and the icingon the cake is that Bugs Bunny Superstar is the reconstructed version by the Warner Archive). THAT is how you're suppose to do it!

Not to brag but, people should listen to me more often. If they did, to quote my dad, they go right to the top!

Spot on!

But hey, I've done (and contributed to) tons of great home  video  ideas/blueprints , too! I'd love it if everyone paid more attention to me and followed my lead as well...
Toonatic
2020-02-09T04:10:09Z

Spot on!

But hey, I've done (and contributed to) tons of great home  video  ideas/blueprints , too! I'd love it if everyone paid more attention to me and followed my lead as well...

Thank you!

The two of us together, we can get this done. We can bring a resurgence back to physical media. 🙂
DevonB
2020-02-09T09:22:59Z
Jerry has nothing to do with the Golden Carrot Collection. Finito.
WaltWiz1901
2020-02-10T23:22:01Z
Originally Posted by: DevonB 

Jerry has nothing to do with the Golden Carrot Collection. Finito.

Well, looks like I ought to copy and paste one of my latest replies to the "Looney Tunes"/Platinum Collection thread over at Blu-ray.com...
WaltWiz1901 wrote:

Me thinks the studios should just stop trying to do prestigious, comprehensive, or definitive classic animation sets without any experts on the subject matter on hand to guide them (*cough*Universal's Rankin/Bass releases*cough*Celebrating Mickey*cough*literally every post-2014/2015 non-Warner Archive animated title as of now*cough*)...

(In a reply to the post above, I explained that if I was working at Disney when Celebrating Mickey was being prepared and, later, released exactly the way it was, I would've been upset - furious, even - that no effort was put into getting me and at least a few other historians involved and making it much more comprehensive than it really is)
Ian L.
2020-02-12T18:51:06Z
Are we absolutely certain this set is nothing but repeats? I mean, it LIKELY is, but AFAIK the full cartoon list hasn't been released yet.
Einhander
2020-02-12T21:33:22Z
Originally Posted by: Ian L. 

Are we absolutely certain this set is nothing but repeats? I mean, it LIKELY is, but AFAIK the full cartoon list hasn't been released yet.

The Special features repeats is the smoking gun here.
2020-03-09T05:37:24Z
http://www.dohtem.com/bugs/news/  is debating if Disc 5's content will be altered or not. I would also like to see a similar set for the All-Stars discs, as this concept seems pretty interesting.
WaltWiz1901
2020-03-09T20:45:44Z
Originally Posted by: AaronReturn2004 

http://www.dohtem.com/bugs/news/ is debating if Disc 5's content will be altered or not.

It won't be. Nearly every Warner repackage has, more or less, simply reused discs from previous releases with absolutely no changes whatsoever (sans the disc art).
Quote:

I would also like to see a similar set for the All-Stars discs, as this concept seems pretty interesting.

No. There are many, many more sets I'd like to see Warner (Home Video or Archive) greenlight before they begin acting like total cheapskates again, like...
- A complete Bosko set (the studio's first cartoon star shouldn't be overlooked during his 90th anniversary)
- A collection similar to the 2013 "Best of Warner Bros." Looney Tunes set, only comprised of currently unreleased or unrestored shorts
- A 80th anniversary Bugs set/disc comprised of, again, currently unreleased or unrestored shorts (Upswept Hare would definitely be one of the shorts included; it was recently restored, you know)
- Themed sets similar to 2012's Mouse Chronicles set
...or, if Warner still feels like saving some money...
- DVD versions of the 1990s WHV LaserDisc releases

Come to think of it, I find it infuriating that every now and then, the major studios will always do something to cut corners and/or go against one of the biggest media/entertainment guidelines: "give the fans (or is that people?) what they want". It isn't just Warner, either: ever since the Walt Disney Treasures line ended, Disney has singlehandedly refused to show their classic shorts the respect they deserve (the heavy DVNR on their first non-Pixar Blu-ray shorts collection's main feature was such a massive middle finger to us that I have decided not to purchase it in revolt) and rarely, if ever, puts them out on Blu-ray - while only a handful of them are readily available to stream on Disney+.
fulano7
2020-03-10T21:20:01Z

No. There are many, many more sets I'd like to see Warner (Home Video or Archive) greenlight before they begin acting like total cheapskates again, like...
- A complete Bosko set (the studio's first cartoon star shouldn't be overlooked during his 90th anniversary)
- A collection similar to the 2013 "Best of Warner Bros." Looney Tunes set, only comprised of currently unreleased or unrestored shorts
- A 80th anniversary Bugs set/disc comprised of, again, currently unreleased or unrestored shorts (Upswept Hare would definitely be one of the shorts included; it was recently restored, you know)
- Themed sets similar to 2012's Mouse Chronicles set
...or, if Warner still feels like saving some money...
- DVD versions of the 1990s WHV LaserDisc releases

Come to think of it, I find it infuriating that every now and then, the major studios will always do something to cut corners and/or go against one of the biggest media/entertainment guidelines: "give the fans (or is that people?) what they want". It isn't just Warner, either: ever since the Walt Disney Treasures line ended, Disney has singlehandedly refused to show their classic shorts the respect they deserve (the heavy DVNR on their first non-Pixar Blu-ray shorts collection's main feature was such a massive middle finger to us that I have decided not to purchase it in revolt) and rarely, if ever, puts them out on Blu-ray - while only a handful of them are readily available to stream on Disney+.

I've been watching the Popeye and Avery sets, and man... What a stellar restoration work by WAC. I wonder why they didn't do something like this since 2012. They (at Warner) had to see a lower quality release like PP101 selling well to come back to classic animation and put it in WAC. And you know what? Prices of $20, great picture and sound quality, no censorship, and the most important: good sales. Let's be real: classic animation is a vintage product, a niche market, so even if the sales are so low that you have to raise the price to the limit, making it relatively expensive (let's say, $40 for a single disc) you won't have financial losses at all - your niche customers are going to buy it anyway. The added benefit is preserving the studio legacy and history, and American history as well.

Which leads me to believe that the main reasons that Warner ceased the investment in Golden Collection and doesn't release a single LT/MM short with proper restoration in physical media since 2014 are poor marketing/business decisions, lack of will to preserve older material, and fear of PC backslash from people that buy from "family entertainment" retail shelves.

Warner still mantains the poor business decision of maintaining some IPs exclusive to the Family Entertainment branch. But the success of Popeye and Avery proves that there is a profitable niche market for classic animation and everything is about how you manage it - WAC is the right way.

I don't like the way Golden and Platinum Collections were handled as well. Take GC: they were releasing collector-oriented 4-DVD boxsets, spending a lot with restoration, and with manufacturing and distribution of those boxsets... But the latest sets had very little appeal to the general public: "Patriotic Pals"? "Most Requested Assorted Nuts and One-Shots"? "A Dash of Tashlin"? How is this going to sell well? How do you justify such massive investment to a WHV executive? The end of GC was predictable.

So I hope that LT and MM come back via WAC in more character-oriented approach, or at most a director-oriented approach. Sometimes character-oriented leads to director-oriented and vice-versa: Foghorn is McKimson, Yosemite is Freleng, Road-Runner is Chuck etc.

And I hope they try in the first place to fill the ridiculous gaps that the GC approach left behind. This is possible only if they change the business decision of keeping main characters exclusive to Family division. I would sit down, take a list of the cartoons, and compile character and director-based lists of family-frielndly things not released in GC. GC released a ton of un-PC stuff and older material, but left behind many color shorts featuring well-known characters that we have fond memories of.
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
nickramer
2020-03-11T03:24:45Z
To be fair, Beck did the disc theming before in "The Golden Age of Looney Tunes" video/ laser disc sets and MGM/UA were able to release all of the Turner owned Warner shorts sans The Censored Eleven. I guess the only down-side was that they nearly ran out of character cartoons by the final volume. It was almost all one-shots and some Sniffles shorts (with some miscellaneous stuff thrown in for good measure).
Thad Komorowski
2020-03-11T15:34:09Z
The Golden Collections were programmed according to what was available and what WB was willing to spend on restoration. (The first Golden Collection was originally a "Chuck Jones" collection; Vol. 2's Road Runner and Tweety focus.) I think they're about as good as they could be given the circumstances (though the Speedy Gonzales disc is kind of terrifying, much as I like the cartoons). And Vol. 6 isn't a good example- that was programmed that way because, "This is it."
nickramer
2020-03-11T20:06:43Z
Honestly, the Speedy Gonzales disc was done as a fan service because CN was showing the shorts the door and I thought it was a good selection of "the cream of the crop" (okay, they had one Daffy and Speedy short, which was more or less a cheater, but I let that slide. Yet, when this selection was announced all I heard from TTTP was uncalled for gripes and complaints. Jerry felt a bit hurt when I mentioned this when he was at a Columbus event.
Thad Komorowski
2020-03-11T21:32:04Z
People are allowed to not like things. Even if 15 of the same character in a row (save Bugs or Daffy) is a little much given the repetitive nature and that it's supposed to be an all-inclusive set, it still works for what it is since they were out of rotation for several years. If you don't want to watch it, there's 45 other cartoons to choose from.
Mesterius
2020-03-12T02:23:08Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Honestly, the Speedy Gonzales disc was done as a fan service because CN was showing the shorts the door and I thought it was a good selection of "the cream of the crop" (okay, they had one Daffy and Speedy short, which was more or less a cheater, but I let that slide. Yet, when this selection was announced all I heard from TTTP was uncalled for gripes and complaints. Jerry felt a bit hurt when I mentioned this when he was at a Columbus event.

What I don't get though is why you constantly feel the need to act butt-hurt on Jerry's behalf. It's not making you look good.