WACs next release is......- Page 10 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
13 Pages«<89101112>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jason Todd  
#181 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 1:37:49 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I just pre-ordered my copy. I can hardly wait!!!!!
ToonStar95  
#182 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:21:44 PM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I ordered it from Amazon and it's gonna be here til March.
cartoon981002  
#183 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 2:26:14 PM(UTC)
cartoon981002

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I ordered my copy from DeepDiscount and they shipped it today, so I'll receive it in a very few days!
thanks 1 user thanked cartoon981002 for this useful post.
Ken Layton on 2/13/2020(UTC)
Jason Todd  
#184 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 8:41:59 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Just received a shipment notification for my copy! Woot!!!!
Duck Dodgers  
#185 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 4:58:30 PM(UTC)
Duck Dodgers

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I've ordered mine on Ebay, Amazon is incredibly slow with Warner Archive releases from 2 years or so......I should have to get it next week.

Meanwhile,another review:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com...ics_volume_1_blu-ray.htm
thanks 2 users thanked Duck Dodgers for this useful post.
Ken Layton on 2/15/2020(UTC), Jason Todd on 2/15/2020(UTC)
Mesterius  
#186 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 4:06:43 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 366 time(s) in 173 post(s)
Listened to WAC's Tex Avery podcast with Jerry Beck. Pretty entertaining, but some weird factual errors from George Feltenstein popped up:

--George says that, in addition to some cartoons being edited, the "Compleat Tex Avery" LaserDisc set had DVNR on many of the films. From what I've both seen of the LaserDisc myself and read about it, not a single cartoon on that set have DVNR. The DVNR was added to a number of the Avery films for TV broadcast at some point later in the 90s.

--George mentions the French Tex Avery DVD set, and correctly says that many of the films on there have DVNR. But then he goes on to say that Warner France licensed and included the Walter Lantz cartoon "Crazy Mixed-Up Pup" from Universal on the set. This is nonsense. I have the French DVD box myself, and can verify that it's not on there. Even weirder, this is NOT the first time I've seen someone on the internet claim that "Crazy Mixed-Up Pup" was included on the French Avery DVD set. Where on earth did this rumor start? Why would someone think that Warner France would pay Universal for a one-time licencing of one of their films, or for that matter that Universal would say yes?
thanks 3 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 2/15/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 2/15/2020(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 2/15/2020(UTC)
nickramer  
#187 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 11:12:31 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 331 time(s) in 263 post(s)
Well, Universal did some license with Good Times Entertainment in the mid '90s where they strangely re-release "Woody Woodpecker and Friends" as a two-tape set with four shorts on each tape.

Also, at the time of the French "Tex Avery" set, Columbia House release a series of "The Woody Woodpecker Show" video and DVDs that Jerry had a hand in.

And very recently, Universal has license old films to Criterion, Flicker Alley, Kino, and I think Shout! Factory.

Edited by user Saturday, February 15, 2020 11:13:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Duck Dodgers  
#188 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 5:26:12 PM(UTC)
Duck Dodgers

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
Listened to WAC's Tex Avery podcast with Jerry Beck. Pretty entertaining, but some weird factual errors from George Feltenstein popped up:

--George says that, in addition to some cartoons being edited, the "Compleat Tex Avery" LaserDisc set had DVNR on many of the films. From what I've both seen of the LaserDisc myself and read about it, not a single cartoon on that set have DVNR. The DVNR was added to a number of the Avery films for TV broadcast at some point later in the 90s.

--George mentions the French Tex Avery DVD set, and correctly says that many of the films on there have DVNR. But then he goes on to say that Warner France licensed and included the Walter Lantz cartoon "Crazy Mixed-Up Pup" from Universal on the set. This is nonsense. I have the French DVD box myself, and can verify that it's not on there. Even weirder, this is NOT the first time I've seen someone on the internet claim that "Crazy Mixed-Up Pup" was included on the French Avery DVD set. Where on earth did this rumor start? Why would someone think that Warner France would pay Universal for a one-time licencing of one of their films, or for that matter that Universal would say yes?

The laserdisc set is very good, it includes several good looking copies of the shorts. Absolutely no DVNR in it and I've watched them shorts multiple times. "Garden Gopher" and "Droopy's Good Deed" are edited. "Uncle Tom's Cabana" is in there.

Mesterius  
#189 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 7:18:45 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
Well, Universal did some license with Good Times Entertainment in the mid '90s where they strangely re-release "Woody Woodpecker and Friends" as a two-tape set with four shorts on each tape.

Also, at the time of the French "Tex Avery" set, Columbia House release a series of "The Woody Woodpecker Show" video and DVDs that Jerry had a hand in.

And very recently, Universal has license old films to Criterion, Flicker Alley, Kino, and I think Shout! Factory.

Still no connection to Warner Bros. though. And there's a huge difference between licencing your films to be released on home video by a distributor, and licencing one of your films to be released TOGETHER with a collection of films made/owned by another company.
Slowly I Turn  
#190 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 3:40:14 AM(UTC)
Slowly I Turn

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Some notes I made from the podcast I thought might be of interest (I'm not quoting so feel free to correct me if you think I swung and missed)

Several volumes are planned, depending on sales. To me, several would have to be at least three. He did not promise all will get released.

It is not chronological because they are still hoping for better material for some of the cartoons.

Jerry Beck had final sign off. This would not have gone to press until he did.

"Original cell anomilies" were not corrected as they want them to appear as close to how they were originally shown so there are a few specks and a few incidences of cloudiness (he made this sound like it was very, very, few).

George was surprised at the feedback requesting a DVD version. George said he thought most had moved on from DVD as blu ray players are so inexpensive now. However, due to the feedback he said they are going to put out a DVD. Expect the timing of the DVD release to coincide with the second blu ray volume (if there is one). He did not say when that would be.

George indicated he has many plans for animation blu ray releases including some that would surprise us. Of course it all depends on sales. Seems like George is as big a friend to our community as Jerry is. Here's to hoping he remains in a position to make these releases happen.

thanks 5 users thanked Slowly I Turn for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 2/16/2020(UTC), Jason Todd on 2/16/2020(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 2/16/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 2/17/2020(UTC), Toonatic on 2/29/2020(UTC)
Mesterius  
#191 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 4:19:11 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Slowly I Turn Go to Quoted Post
Jerry Beck had final sign off. This would not have gone to press until he did.

Still, you wish Jerry would have caught the distorted audio on Daredevil Droopy then.
raginggoodfella  
#192 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 8:10:29 AM(UTC)
raginggoodfella

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If Jerry has the final say, then who decides what titles are included on the blu-ray? I know the release of these cartoons are supposedly based on the best elements available, blah, blah...but I still believe that at least 2 most un-pc Tex Avery shorts will have the same fate as the Tom and Jerry cartoons. And more cartoons can fit on a blu-ray.

Edited by user Sunday, February 16, 2020 8:11:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Shorter

Tsivc99  
#193 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 11:56:37 AM(UTC)
Tsivc99

United States

Can't wait for this set. Love the Tex Avery cartoons.
Mesterius  
#194 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 12:05:45 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

George was surprised at the feedback requesting a DVD version. George said he thought most had moved on from DVD as blu ray players are so inexpensive now. However, due to the feedback he said they are going to put out a DVD. Expect the timing of the DVD release to coincide with the second blu ray volume (if there is one). He did not say when that would be.

I was wondering about that too. Does this mean that the DVD versions of the three Popeye color sets sold very, very poorly? 'Cause I'm trying to figure out the logic behind all the Popeye Blu-rays getting parallell DVD editions, but not Tex Avery.
Mesterius  
#195 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 12:40:36 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: raginggoodfella Go to Quoted Post
If Jerry has the final say, then who decides what titles are included on the blu-ray? I know the release of these cartoons are supposedly based on the best elements available, blah, blah...but I still believe that at least 2 most un-pc Tex Avery shorts will have the same fate as the Tom and Jerry cartoons. And more cartoons can fit on a blu-ray.

Jerry obviously doesn't have final (or only) say about the selection of the cartoons. What George was saying was that he had final say on the video and audio quality being good enough to produce the set.
Traveling Matt  
#196 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 1:23:01 AM(UTC)
Traveling Matt

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I was wondering about that too. Does this mean that the DVD versions of the three Popeye color sets sold very, very poorly? 'Cause I'm trying to figure out the logic behind all the Popeye Blu-rays getting parallell DVD editions, but not Tex Avery.

Pretty much all the proper restorations done thru WAC are Blu-ray only, including animation like Jonny Quest and the Jetsons. Maybe Warner was obligated to do DVDs for Popeye through their arrangement with King Features?

It's interesting Tex has such a demand for DVD but apparently Quest and Jetsons didn't.

Originally Posted by: raginggoodfella Go to Quoted Post

Jerry obviously doesn't have final (or only) say about the selection of the cartoons. What George was saying was that he had final say on the video and audio quality being good enough to produce the set.

Exactly. I really don't think we need to be concerned about political correctness on this series. Tom and Jerry have the issues they do because they're Tom and Jerry, not because they're Warner-controlled. They have a particular mainstream value to Warner and are an exception because of this. Plus they're released through WHV, not WAC.

If Popeye and this first Tex volume are uncut, the rest of Avery should be uncut too.
Mesterius  
#197 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 3:08:03 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Traveling Matt Go to Quoted Post

Pretty much all the proper restorations done thru WAC are Blu-ray only, including animation like Jonny Quest and the Jetsons. Maybe Warner was obligated to do DVDs for Popeye through their arrangement with King Features?

It's interesting Tex has such a demand for DVD but apparently Quest and Jetsons didn't.

Those comparisons don't make sense, because both Quest and Jetsons have had complete DVD releases in the U.S. before. Tex Avery hasn't had ANY devoted DVD releases except the Droopy set. No wonder a lot of DVD-only consumers are asking.

(And I can't imagine KFS specifically demanded that the Popeyes be both Blu-ray and DVD.)

Traveling Matt  
#198 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 3:35:12 AM(UTC)
Traveling Matt

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Those comparisons don't make sense, because both Quest and Jetsons have had complete DVD releases in the U.S. before. Tex Avery hasn't had ANY devoted DVD releases except the Droopy set. No wonder a lot of DVD-only consumers are asking.

That's true, but consumers have demanded DVD editions of many BDs over the years, even if there have been earlier DVDs. Sometimes even if there have been multiple editions on DVD. I can't explain it.

But you may have answered the question. It might be because there were no earlier Tex DVDs.
Thad Komorowski  
#199 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 3:50:45 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Was thanked: 321 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Sunday delivery via Wal-Mart.com and FedEx here. Clean bill of health... Cartoons all look and sound fine for the most part, and all are indeed uncensored. Wags to Riches has a slightly distorted track, too, though (but nowhere near as obvious as Daredevil Droopy).

Edited by user Monday, February 17, 2020 4:38:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 10 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
Mesterius on 2/17/2020(UTC), Jason Todd on 2/17/2020(UTC), eutychus on 2/17/2020(UTC), vdubdavid on 2/17/2020(UTC), becksworth on 2/17/2020(UTC), raginggoodfella on 2/17/2020(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 2/17/2020(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 2/17/2020(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 2/17/2020(UTC), Lynn on 2/17/2020(UTC)
raginggoodfella  
#200 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 6:51:44 AM(UTC)
raginggoodfella

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski Go to Quoted Post
Sunday delivery via Wal-Mart.com and FedEx here. Clean bill of health... Cartoons all look and sound fine for the most part, and all are indeed uncensored. Wags to Riches has a slightly distorted track, too, though (but nowhere near as obvious as Daredevil Droopy).

So that you tube clip is an accurate sound representation on D.D.? And do you recommend fans to buy this? My copy should arrive by Wed.

Edited by user Monday, February 17, 2020 6:57:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Rewording