The Distinction Between a Looney Tune and a Merrie Melodie - Forum.
Jason Todd
2020-01-26T12:37:01Z
As we all know, there was originally a difference between the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series: the main difference being that the Looney Tunes tended to be less song-driven than the Merrie Melodies. Throughout the 1930s, even after production on the Merrie Melodies switched to color, this remained largely true; post-1934, the main difference between the two series' was that one remained in black-and-white until 1943.

But, after 1943, there was virtually no difference between a Looney Tune and a Merrie Melodie.

How, then, did the folks at Termite Terrace decide which series any particular short would belong to?
tashlinfan44
2020-01-26T15:40:06Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

As we all know, there was originally a difference between the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series: the main difference being that the Looney Tunes tended to be less song-driven than the Merrie Melodies. Throughout the 1930s, even after production on the Merrie Melodies switched to color, this remained largely true; post-1934, the main difference between the two series' was that one remained in black-and-white until 1943.

But, after 1943, there was virtually no difference between a Looney Tune and a Merrie Melodie.

How, then, did the folks at Termite Terrace decide which series any particular short would belong to?

There was no difference after that. The cartoons were just released under any ol’ banner.
Lee B
2020-01-26T15:55:03Z
Mark Evanier mentioned this here....

https://www.newsfromme.com/iaq/iaq12/ 

The relevant part is this:

=======

Apart from that, the other main difference was that in 1934, they began to make the Merrie Melodies shorts in color, whereas the Looney Tunes series remained black-and-white until 1943. From then on, no one knew which was which…or cared. This 1975 interview with director Friz Freleng makes the point clear…

No, I never knew if a film I was making would be a Looney Tunes or a Merrie Melodie, and what the hell difference would it make, anyway?

That pretty much says it.

==========

So, sorry Jason, but it sounds like it wasn't a very big deal to the animation teams.
nickramer
2020-01-26T15:56:31Z
Originally Posted by: Lee B 

=======

Apart from that, the other main difference was that in 1934, they began to make the Merrie Melodies shorts in color, whereas the Looney Tunes series remained black-and-white until 1943. From then on, no one knew which was which…or cared. This 1975 interview with director Friz Freleng makes the point clear…

No, I never knew if a film I was making would be a Looney Tunes or a Merrie Melodie, and what the hell difference would it make, anyway?

==========

True words spoken straight from a master.
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead
2020-01-26T20:19:45Z
None of you, nor Cecil Adams, himself, with all due respect to everyone, mentioned the most important: Merire Melodies would plug some Warner Bros.musical comedy song title, rthough 1937'sa "Ain't We Got Fun" promoted the 1910s silent era classic; it wasn't even FROM any movie, as a title song, just happened to BE a Warner owned ditty.

Nor were the openings, like the rings on MM's and the various opens betyween LTS thru the WW Two years, or the size of rings between the two series, either (the Looneys had a swirl of music notes for 1938-39, then Porky in a drum,ec. when they bith got rings, Looney Tunes tyoically had fatter rings, than Melodies till 1963, when the 1962 "Now hear this": UPA/grahpc logo was introduced. 1967's "Normnan Normal", released 1/3/68, was a "Cartoon Special" with the LT/MM logo, (the same modern graphic, blue-background, deal, that, by this time, was now used on the "new title"-Korean 1930s/.40s B&W that were "color-traced" in Korea), and the pre-scandal Bill Cosby expierment"The Door" was a one off, not even a "Special" anything, despite Bill
's connection, then, to WB..(Peter Paul and Mary's Paul Stookey, by the same token, was behind the IN-HOUSE CARTOON SPECIAL Norman Normal..:))
Mesterius
2020-01-26T20:24:46Z
I heard they used flipism  to decide which films would be Merrie Melodies and which would be Looney Tunes.
Jason Todd
2020-01-26T22:05:24Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

I heard they used flipism  to decide which films would be Merrie Melodies and which would be Looney Tunes.

Fascinating. Do tell!
Mesterius
2020-01-27T06:41:07Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Fascinating. Do tell!

Sorry, I was joking. 😛 But they might as well have decided that way after 1943.
Mario500
2020-01-28T19:14:43Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Originally Posted by: Lee B 

=======

==========

True words spoken straight from a master.

I would had not used profanity in that "interview" if I were the one being interviewed.