Popeye The Sailor The 1940's Volume 3 This September!!!- Page 6 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
9 Pages«<45678>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Thad Komorowski  
#101 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2019 11:38:00 PM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 47 post(s)
It seems with every volume it gets more and more taxing to actually get a copy, but after a shipping mishap, I'm looking at Vol. 3 now and things look most excellent, even if this is where the cartoons themselves take a huge nosedive.

"Tar with a Star" has the end cue from "Safari So Good". And the old footage in "Spinach Vs. Hamburgers" looks very different than those cartoons did on the first Blu-Ray, because as I said, when they did cheaters the footage was duped in from a source several generations down from the OCN.

Edited by user Friday, September 20, 2019 11:51:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
vdubdavid on 9/21/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 9/23/2019(UTC)
Leviathan  
#102 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2019 11:49:32 PM(UTC)
Leviathan

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 34 post(s)
This is the point where the ending cues become standardized fanfares and disconnected from the end of the cartoon's music score, so recreations won't be as bad.

I do have to ask what was the point of doing a search for the original cues (for Volume 2) if they weren't even going to use them.
SuperMuppet64  
#103 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 2:59:07 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leviathan Go to Quoted Post
I do have to ask what was the point of doing a search for the original cues (for Volume 2) if they weren't even going to use them.

im pretty sure thad said that they located audio but could not access them in time for the release schedule
thanks 2 users thanked SuperMuppet64 for this useful post.
Ken Layton on 9/21/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 9/23/2019(UTC)
Thad Komorowski  
#104 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 4:41:35 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post

im pretty sure thad said that they located audio but could not access them in time for the release schedule

Correct. I had located three of them overseas, but because they would have arrived and been transferred after Warner Archive wanted work wrapped, they were not used.
thanks 3 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
Ken Layton on 9/21/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 9/23/2019(UTC), Mac on 9/24/2019(UTC)
HeySteve  
#105 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 5:03:35 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 14 post(s)
It doesn’t bother me so much if the ending cue is borrowed from another cartoon if the original isn’t available. I just don’t understand how they can mess up the opening cue since they could’ve sourced it from several of the cartoons on this disc and it would’ve been the correct one. The obvious answer is that those 3 cartoons were handled by someone who simply was just assigned to work on this set, but had no knowledge about these cartoons. As annoying as it is to hear the wrong opening cue, I will live with it since I don’t think the errors will get corrected. Also, I want sales of this set to do well enough so that future volumes will get released.
thanks 4 users thanked HeySteve for this useful post.
Mesterius on 9/21/2019(UTC), Jason Todd on 9/21/2019(UTC), Thad Komorowski on 9/21/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 9/23/2019(UTC)
Mesterius  
#106 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 5:42:17 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 236 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post

Correct. I had located three of them overseas, but because they would have arrived and been transferred after Warner Archive wanted work wrapped, they were not used.

It's too bad Warner is so set in their ways when it comes to this stuff. I'm pretty sure the customer base for the set would have been happy to wait another month or two if that meant the original title music could be restored.
thanks 3 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Ken Layton on 9/21/2019(UTC), Jason Todd on 9/21/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 9/23/2019(UTC)
nickramer  
#107 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 9:48:21 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 234 post(s)
So, I'm thinking of ordering a copy tomorrow. What is the absolute best non-Amazon place to order it? So far on this thread, what I get is a mix of answers.
Thad Komorowski  
#108 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 10:52:50 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

I don't think there's any great place for ordering new Warner Archive discs any more. Barnes & Noble was my source for Vol. 2 and 3 (and The Thin Man), and I had a shipping mishap with this one (but it got rectified quickly). People seem to be having good luck with them and Wal-Mart.com. Best Buy is still sold out after the initial pre-order.

Edited by user Saturday, September 21, 2019 11:06:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jason Todd  
#109 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 4:39:33 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I ordered my copy on Oldies.com, and I waited several days after release day just to receive a shipment notification. So, at this point, I'm thinking it'll arrive in my mailbox when it does.
HeySteve  
#110 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 6:34:49 PM(UTC)
HeySteve

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 14 post(s)
It is back in stock at Best Buy as of this morning. They have the best price you’re going to get, and they ship it fast. I ordered Vol. 2 and pre-ordered Vol. 3 from them. Vol. 2 arrived in just 2 days, and the same for Vol. 3 from the time that it shipped. Of course, how fast they will arrive will likely be dependent on where you live compared to where their warehouse facility is. Regardless, they do ship their orders out fast once they are placed.

Also, once Vol. 3 was announced, I checked daily at each retailer to see when they would start taking pre-orders. Amazon initially had the price at $21.99 (full retail), but the moment Best Buy started taking orders, they listed the price at $17.99. It was about a day after that when Amazon lowered their price to match Best Buy.

I definitely recommend Best Buy. Although others may have a different opinion on which retailer is best, I think we can all agree that Amazon is the worst choice right now for WAC titles.
Kristjan  
#111 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2019 1:19:34 AM(UTC)
Kristjan

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I keep buying from WBShop because of what Jerry said; that only WBShop sales "count" when WAC is determining how well a set is selling.

I got a shipment confirmation last night. Still grateful for these because if it wasn't for the Archive, there would be no classic animation coming out at all.

It's actually annoying how things have turned out since 2008. If the DVD market hadn't crashed then I think we have about almost every MM/LT short released by now (I recall doing the calculations back then assuming 60 shorts year we did be only 2 years away from complete everything) apart from maybe those most controversial ones.
Same with MGM
and the Famous part of the Popeyes would have been done ages ago by now.
thanks 1 user thanked Kristjan for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 9/23/2019(UTC)
raginggoodfella  
#112 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2019 7:22:28 PM(UTC)
raginggoodfella

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
So, I'm thinking of ordering a copy tomorrow. What is the absolute best non-Amazon place to order it? So far on this thread, what I get is a mix of answers.

I used Walmart.com. I received the disc a day before the official release day. I did a preorder on Amazon.com but cancelled it after they sent me a “good news” e-mail that my order will ship 1 to 3 months.
Mesterius  
#113 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2019 8:24:11 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Kristjan Go to Quoted Post
I keep buying from WBShop because of what Jerry said; that only WBShop sales "count" when WAC is determining how well a set is selling.

I got a shipment confirmation last night. Still grateful for these because if it wasn't for the Archive, there would be no classic animation coming out at all.

It's actually annoying how things have turned out since 2008. If the DVD market hadn't crashed then I think we have about almost every MM/LT short released by now (I recall doing the calculations back then assuming 60 shorts year we did be only 2 years away from complete everything) apart from maybe those most controversial ones.
Same with MGM
and the Famous part of the Popeyes would have been done ages ago by now.

You mean if they had continued doing the Looney Tunes Golden Collections annually every year to this day? Wow, that's a thought.

As for MGM though, nothing has ever gotten dedicated, restored DVD or Blu-ray releases by Warner except for Tom and Jerry, and that series would have been completed long ago if not for the problems with Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat.
thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 9/23/2019(UTC)
Einhander  
#114 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2019 5:48:37 AM(UTC)
Einhander

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Speaking of Tom and Jerry on Blu-Ray....

https://imgur.com/a/8J7SQrp

It's definitely OOP at this point...I wonder what other Warner releases will bite the dust now.
Jason Todd  
#115 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2019 1:03:33 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Einhander Go to Quoted Post
Speaking of Tom and Jerry on Blu-Ray....

https://imgur.com/a/8J7SQrp

It's definitely OOP at this point...I wonder what other Warner releases will bite the dust now.

Ouch. I have the DVD version, but I was hoping to eventually get my hands on a Blu-ray copy.

Maybe, if we're lucky, the Archive will eventually reissue the Tom and Jerry Golden Collection as an MOD title, for those who missed out.
Mesterius  
#116 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2019 4:54:48 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Time for the Tom and Jerry Platinum Collection on UltraHD, I guess!
Jason Todd  
#117 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:25:37 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

#Corporategreed.
Jason Todd  
#118 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 3:46:32 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

My copy of the DVD version just arrived, today.

I now have every single Popeye cartoon, from 1933 through 1949.

Here's hoping Warner Archive starts work on the '50s films, soon. Yeah, most of them suck, but I have no doubt that they'll look amazing in restored form.
Mesterius  
#119 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 5:04:16 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post

#Corporategreed.

I'd be on board (at least theoretically, if I end up getting an UltraHD player) if they do a Volume 1 featuring the first 60 shorts in chronological order.
Jason Todd  
#120 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 5:45:55 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

I'd be on board (at least theoretically, if I end up getting an UltraHD player) if they do a Volume 1 featuring the first 60 shorts in chronological order.

Well, supposedly better elements of the films have been discovered. That said, if they do decide to do yet another Tom and Jerry collection, I really hope they, at the very least, take the ten entries that were remastered from Metrocolor reprints and restore them from Technicolor sources.

On that note, I'm quite happy with these Popeye discs, audio flubs and all. Besides, most of said issues are easily correctable.