A Question Regarding Olive Films' Betty Boop DVD/Blu-ray Sets - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jason Todd  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 2:35:56 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 14 post(s)
While I am aware that many of Fleischer's Betty Boop films had their title sequences altered directly from the original negatives and are, thus, presented that way on the official Olive Films sets, do any of the cartoons on these discs appear with their Paramount titles reinstated? I plan on picking up a copy of all four volumes, and while a set using U.M.&.M. versions of these films wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, I'd like to know what I'm getting, and I don't know who else to ask.
Thad Komorowski  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 10:11:22 PM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 25 post(s)
The only one with real original titles is "Poor Cinderella". The others are all UM&M prints... If they have the Paramount mountain, they're later fake reconstructions ("Bimbo's Initiation"). Also, the first two volumes have stretched pictures. See what I wrote five years ago: http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/thad-un-squashes-boop/
thanks 3 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 12/26/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/26/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 12/27/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:12:14 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 192 time(s) in 90 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski Go to Quoted Post
The only one with real original titles is "Poor Cinderella". The others are all UM&M prints... If they have the Paramount mountain, they're later fake reconstructions ("Bimbo's Initiation"). Also, the first two volumes have stretched pictures. See what I wrote five years ago: http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/thad-un-squashes-boop/

This makes me curious: for what and when were the titles of some of the cartoons reconstructed? I'm under the impression that Olive Films didn't do anything like that for their releases; they just scanned the raw materials in high definition.
Mark The Shark  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 8:41:10 AM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
"Snow White" (IIRC) has the Paramount opening and closing, and also has Paramount's name in the titles -- it still is likely to be a reconstruction, but if so, it's very, very close to the real thing.

What's odd is, there are certain cartoons ("Minnie The Moocher" and "Betty Boop's Crazy Inventions" are two I can name off the top of my head) where some UM&M prints had the Paramount copyright line left in (on the title screen showing the name of the cartoon), while others have UM&M's name instead.

If you see a Paramount intro logo followed by a title screen with a UM&M copyright, that is pretty obviously something cobbled together later.

Edited by user Thursday, December 27, 2018 8:42:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Mark The Shark for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 12/27/2018(UTC)
Thad Komorowski  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 9:45:58 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Sorry, I misspoke... But the Paramount logos on SNOW-WHITE are still wrong either way...
Mark The Shark  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 8:59:37 PM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

According to my notes...

UM&M logos with Paramount copyright in titles:

Betty Boop, M.D.
Betty Boop's Bamboo Isle
Betty Boop For President
Betty Boop's Birthday Party
Betty Boop's Trial
Betty Boop's Life Guard
Betty Boop's Bizzee Bee
Betty Boop's Ups And Downs
Betty Boop's Museum
Betty Boop's Big Boss
Betty Boop's Little Pal
I'll Be Glad When You're Dead...
Mother Goose Land
The Old Man Of The Mountain
I Heard
Stopping The Show
Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers
She Wronged Him Right
There's Something About A Soldier

Paramount logos, Paramount copyright notice:

Snow-White (wrong era logos used)
Poor Cinderella

Paramount logos, UM&M name in titles:

Bimbo's Initiation

All the rest have at least partially refilmed UM&M titles. (Maybe "refilmed" isn't the right word, but they reshot the title card with UM&M's copyright notice replacing Paramount's.)

"Dizzy Dishes" and "Minnie The Moocher" have fanfare audio at the beginning which is obviously not original and sounds like something recorded in contemporary times. Maybe it was a "Porky Pig 101" kind of situation and there was mute audio on the source? (Speculating.)

Edited by user Friday, December 28, 2018 9:12:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mark The Shark  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 9:09:42 PM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

This makes me curious: for what and when were the titles of some of the cartoons reconstructed? I'm under the impression that Olive Films didn't do anything like that for their releases; they just scanned the raw materials in high definition.

I can't really answer your question, but I do remember seeing one or two on AMC (when they were running them on Saturday mornings in the 1990s) which had a "UCLA Film And Television Archive" intro before the titles -- it would seem to be their doing.

Edited by user Friday, December 28, 2018 9:13:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kazblox  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 10:39:12 PM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

Was thanked: 93 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Anyone know why does 'Poor Cinderella' on the Blu-ray have a splice in the opening?
Thad Komorowski  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 4:27:13 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

The fake modern cue over Dizzy Dishes is actually the intro music for the "Birth of Betty" title card from the old laser set, weirdly carried over for the new transfer. The original 1930 cue does exist, though.
thanks 2 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
kazblox on 12/29/2018(UTC), Mark The Shark on 12/30/2018(UTC)
kazblox  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 5:21:56 AM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

Was thanked: 93 time(s) in 62 post(s)
The fake modern cue over Dizzy Dishes is actually the intro music for the "Birth of Betty" title card from the old laser set, weirdly carried over for the new transfer. The original 1930 cue does exist, though.

I'd thought the actual cue were to be silence, but knowing a cue exists, that's something....