Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Vol. 1 (Warner Archive Collection) - December...- Page 24 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
29 Pages«<2223242526>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dbear  
#461 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:25:31 PM(UTC)
dbear

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 231 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski Go to Quoted Post
the current Disney wreckstorations

....but seriously, are we going to lump every post-Treasures restoration into the same category?

(I was going to post this in the Mickey thread but since WaltWiz brought this up...). The Disney shorts restorations are somewhat inconsistent largely with cleaning cel dust and grain management. (Don’t feel qualified to say anything with regards to colour timing). The majority of the colour shorts on Celebrating Mickey do actually have varying degrees of cel dust removal but not totally as with the features. All but 2 (Boat Builders and Thru the Mirror) do have something that looks like grain but it seemes a little suspect at times (the shot before the end title on Tugboat Mickey seems more like video noise than grain, a close comparison with the Treasures DVD seems to show this as some odd attempt at hiding the crawling cel dust originally visible (?!)). I recall Mickey’s Rival looks almost identical colour-timing wise to the Treasures DVD which could mean anything honestly.

The 2 aforementioned grain-less shorts look *awful* on my HDTV. Thru the Mirror has the texture of the background smear whenever there’s a pan or character walks in front of it. Boat Builders looks really odd, looks like it may be an older DVD-era restoration honestly, the cel dust appears completely preserved but has a very odd smeary soft look to it, but not the same sort of look as the (truly awful looking) Silly Symphonies that are (were?) on US Netflix.

Interestingly when I did some very anal comparisons with the 2 post-nitrate shorts with the Treasures DVDs (Pluto’s Party and The Simple Things), there seems to be hardly any cel dust removal, if any, or obvious grain reduction once you get past the awful poorly recreated titles with fake grain. Can’t speak for the colour timing, but I saw some iPhone grabs of a 35mm IB Tech Simple Things projected and the blu-ray seems a little contrasty/darker but not drastically so.

Edited by user Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:26:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked dbear for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 12/27/2018(UTC)
Leviathan  
#462 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 8:15:21 PM(UTC)
Leviathan

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Could the two of them be stitched together to make it fully complete?
WaltWiz1901  
#463 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 11:41:29 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 91 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dbear Go to Quoted Post
(I was going to post this in the Mickey thread but since WaltWiz brought this up...) The Disney shorts restorations are somewhat inconsistent largely with cleaning cel dust and grain management. (Don’t feel qualified to say anything with regards to colour timing). The majority of the colour shorts on Celebrating Mickey do actually have varying degrees of cel dust removal but not totally as with the features. All but 2 (Boat Builders and Thru the Mirror) do have something that looks like grain but it seemes a little suspect at times (the shot before the end title on Tugboat Mickey seems more like video noise than grain, a close comparison with the Treasures DVD seems to show this as some odd attempt at hiding the crawling cel dust originally visible (?!)). I recall Mickey’s Rival looks almost identical colour-timing wise to the Treasures DVD which could mean anything honestly.

The 2 aforementioned grain-less shorts look *awful* on my HDTV. Thru the Mirror has the texture of the background smear whenever there’s a pan or character walks in front of it. Boat Builders looks really odd, looks like it may be an older DVD-era restoration honestly, the cel dust appears completely preserved but has a very odd smeary soft look to it, but not the same sort of look as the (truly awful looking) Silly Symphonies that are (were?) on US Netflix.

Interestingly when I did some very anal comparisons with the 2 post-nitrate shorts with the Treasures DVDs (Pluto’s Party and The Simple Things), there seems to be hardly any cel dust removal, if any, or obvious grain reduction once you get past the awful poorly recreated titles with fake grain. Can’t speak for the colour timing, but I saw some iPhone grabs of a 35mm IB Tech Simple Things projected and the blu-ray seems a little contrasty/darker but not drastically so.

Most immaculate description of these shorts' restorations (the Celebrating Mickey shorts, not the Popeye shorts) I've read so far

Until reading this, I had no idea that Boat Builders had virtually every speck of grain removed. I had initially thought it looked perfectly fine, with the grain intact; turns out I was semi-wrong.....

I never realized Thru the Mirror was the same smeary, de-grained transfer that was on Netflix. I thought the transfer on Celebrating was a slight improvement over that one; looks like I'll have to check again and compare it to the transfer that's on the Alice in Wonderland Blu-ray.....
PopKorn Kat  
#464 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 12:40:23 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 367 time(s) in 258 post(s)
I appreciate that you folks are passionate about your opinions on the Disney restorations, but remember that this thread is about the Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Vol. 1 and anything relating to it. If you want to discuss Disney’s restorations in more detail, please take it to a separate thread. Thank you.

Edited by user Friday, December 28, 2018 12:41:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
Lee B on 1/15/2019(UTC)
dbear  
#465 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 12:43:39 AM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 231 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Re:Mickey, keep it mind these observations were based off the iTunes release (DRM-removed the files so I could properly compare them on my PC with the Treasures DVD side-by-side). I'd be surprised if the Blu-ray transfers are different though...

Anyway, back to Popeye: I'll see if I can record the end title "For Better or Nurse" audio directly out of my projector off both the Film Office print and the "modern" print in a couple of weeks. The only caveat which is my projector never seems to exactly run at 24fps so trying to sync it to the Blu-ray will be fun :P.

Edited by user Friday, December 28, 2018 12:47:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked dbear for this useful post.
Mesterius on 12/28/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/28/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#466 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 1:53:33 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dbear Go to Quoted Post
Anyway, back to Popeye: I'll see if I can record the end title "For Better or Nurse" audio directly out of my projector off both the Film Office print and the "modern" print in a couple of weeks. The only caveat which is my projector never seems to exactly run at 24fps so trying to sync it to the Blu-ray will be fun :P.

Well, Warner Brothers still insists on encoding their Blu-rays at 23.976 fps rather than the correct film frame rate of 24 fps, sadly. (Then again, so does Thunderbean...) So you'd still have to change the BD's framerate to 24 to make it match. ;)

I really wish Blu-ray relases of vintage film material in 23.976 framerate was a thing of the past. I get that 23.976 fps is the progressive equivalent of NTSC video, but it really doesn't matter to the all-digital Blu-ray format, because Blu-rays and HDTVs can play back footage in ANY of the standard framerates – 24, 23.976, 25. So please just give us the material in the 100% authentic framerate and speed of 24 fps.

Edited by user Friday, December 28, 2018 1:54:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jason Todd  
#467 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 8:16:25 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Side note: Amazon currently still lists Warner Archive's upcoming re-release of Volumes 2 and 3 of the Fleischer Popeye sets as "currently unavailable". Did they cancel the release dates, or is this just another one of Amazon's weird glitches?
Mesterius  
#468 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2018 8:34:13 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
Side note: Amazon currently still lists Warner Archive's upcoming re-release of Volumes 2 and 3 of the Fleischer Popeye sets as "currently unavailable". Did they cancel the release dates, or is this just another one of Amazon's weird glitches?

After all the back-and-forth with "Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Volume 1" on Amazon, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about these DVDs being cancelled. I'm sure they'll come out exactly when they're scheduled to, regardless of whether Amazon has them in stock on those exact days.
thanks 2 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 12/28/2018(UTC), Jonathan Wilson on 1/9/2019(UTC)
Jason Todd  
#469 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 2:29:34 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
After all the back-and-forth with "Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Volume 1" on Amazon, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about these DVDs being cancelled. I'm sure they'll come out exactly when they're scheduled to, regardless of whether Amazon has them in stock on those exact days.

Yeah... They'll probably be available again, closer to the release dates.
kazblox  
#470 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 9:07:36 PM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 63 post(s)
As to drift the topic back to what I had said a few pages ago about recreating titles; look at the realizations of the compositing levels I had for 'Officer Duck', as it fades to the title slate. These are not exact, but very similar. Point is that compositing most of the time was not quite as linear in the days of where computers had not yet materialized; you're not going to get plausible results from doing a simple computer generated crossfade.

Even if you have keyframed exact or close compositing levels per frame, how colors may pop in and which color comes in first as per the original material may not match up with your video editor's compositing implementation.
Quote:
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, January 1, 2019 9:13:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nickramer  
#471 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 11:00:48 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 259 time(s) in 211 post(s)
Going back to topic, I got the Popeye DVD for Christmas and enjoyed every bit of it. Hopefully, if a second volume happens, it will have audio commentaries. I really miss those.
thanks 5 users thanked nickramer for this useful post.
Ken Layton on 1/2/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 1/2/2019(UTC), eutychus on 1/2/2019(UTC), Jason Todd on 1/2/2019(UTC), Lee B on 1/15/2019(UTC)
Jason Todd  
#472 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 4:40:22 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

So I looked on Amazon, and found that Warner Archive's upcoming re-release of Volumes 2 and 3 of the Fleischer Popeye sets are back up for pre-order.

https://www.amazon.com/P...RID=1GB5BPPF5M9HDDM8XQ5Q

https://www.amazon.com/P...r%3A+1941-1943%2C+Vol.+3

However, for some odd reason, the release date has been pushed to February 12th. A minor inconvenience, in my opinion, but...at least they're being made available for purchase.
Mesterius  
#473 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 12:16:24 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
So I looked on Amazon, and found that Warner Archive's upcoming re-release of Volumes 2 and 3 of the Fleischer Popeye sets are back up for pre-order.

https://www.amazon.com/P...RID=1GB5BPPF5M9HDDM8XQ5Q

https://www.amazon.com/P...r%3A+1941-1943%2C+Vol.+3

However, for some odd reason, the release date has been pushed to February 12th. A minor inconvenience, in my opinion, but...at least they're being made available for purchase.

Certainly makes more sense to release both on the same date rather than Volume 3 before Volume 2, as the original dates indicated. :P
Einhander  
#474 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 7:41:59 PM(UTC)
Einhander

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hey, check this out!

Edited by user Friday, January 18, 2019 11:57:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mario500  
#475 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 9:22:54 PM(UTC)
Mario500

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Einhander Go to Quoted Post
Hey, check this out!

Check out what?
Ken Layton  
#476 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 11:08:55 PM(UTC)
Ken Layton

Man
United States

Was thanked: 158 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mario500 Go to Quoted Post
Hey, check this out!

Check out what?

I believe it's a blu ray clip of We're On Our Way To Rio.

PopKorn Kat  
#477 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 1:20:14 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 367 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Hey, check this out!

Einhander, please don't post links, especially video links, without context. Not everyone will click on random links they find out of fear they could be screamers, shock sites, random nonsense, etc.
thanks 1 user thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
Jonathan Wilson on 1/19/2019(UTC)
Mesterius  
#478 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 1:56:00 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Ken Layton Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mario500 Go to Quoted Post
Hey, check this out!

Check out what?

I believe it's a blu ray clip of We're On Our Way To Rio.

No, it's just a DVD clip -- in 480p, and with interlacing artifacts all over it as well. How did they even achieve that when the DVD (I have to believe) is encoded progressively at 23.976 fps? Extremely clumsy.

UserPostedImage

Anyway, not watching this. I much prefer to wait for the Blu-ray in any case. (I actually don't have it yet, as I put it on my Christmas wish list but ended up not getting it... and the shipment of an order from Amazon US to Europe can take quite some time.)

It's nice that WAC is advertising the set on YouTube, and I can kind of understand that they don't want to share three whole minutes of "We're On Our Way to Rio" in full HD. But I still don't see the marketing sense in posting a clip from such a beautifully restored Blu-ray/DVD set when said clip is plagued by interlacing and combing artifacts which clearly don't need to be there.

Edited by user Saturday, January 19, 2019 2:03:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 1/19/2019(UTC)
Einhander  
#479 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 4:50:59 AM(UTC)
Einhander

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post
Hey, check this out!

Einhander, please don't post links, especially video links, without context. Not everyone will click on random links they find out of fear they could be screamers, shock sites, random nonsense, etc.

I posted the link because i was under the impression that the video would be embedded into the comment. It would appear that something has changed in that reagard.
Mesterius  
#480 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 5:28:10 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post
Hey, check this out!

I posted the link because i was under the impression that the video would be embedded into the comment. It would appear that something has changed in that reagard.

I was wondering about that too. It seems odd that the forum doesn't have an embed function for videos.