PopKorn Kat
2024-01-27T22:10:38Z
I recently discovered that all copies of the 1942 Terrytoon “Eat Me Kitty Eight to the Bar” that are available on YouTube are around 4:57 long. However, for years I’ve had a 360p copy of the cartoon that I downloaded from YouTube that is 6:09 long. While I remember downloading this file circa 2010, the Flash Video file has a creation date of September 23, 2009, which I am assuming is its upload date. As you can probably tell, this copy has about a minute of additional footage at the beginning that is not present on these other copies. A lot of the more obscure cartoons I have downloaded from YouTube in the early 2010s are still up, but this copy appears to be a glaring exception.

Normally I’d be fine with publicly posting something like this, but here’s the thing: I don’t know who originally uploaded this, so I don’t know if they’d be fine with me doing so. If anyone recognizes these screenshots and can trace an archived YouTube URL, or if anyone remembers who uploaded this, please let me know! I'd like to see if they're still out there before attempting to upload this to archive.org.

vlcsnap-2024-01-27-13h56m48s009.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
 vlcsnap-2024-01-27-13h57m47s732.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
 vlcsnap-2024-01-27-13h58m18s872.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
 vlcsnap-2024-01-27-14h00m02s348.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
 vlcsnap-2024-01-27-14h01m41s233.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
S. C. MacPeter
2024-01-28T01:46:51Z
Popcorn, I unfortunately do not know who uploaded this but was able to find some old traces of people seeing it on YT, not just on TV (this is a mid 60s print from the very end of the Black and White Terrytoons being syndicated... seems they made new negs without cuts). That said, would you mind sending this to me privately? I remember reading about this footage before and have been curious to see it since this Terrytoon is a better one. Its not unusual some oddities would be on YT and then disappear. Nelson Hughes' transfer of SLEEPY HOLLER used to be on YT, but I think it was taken down since like STORK EXCHANGE, it was uploaded without permission
PopKorn Kat
2024-01-28T04:01:57Z
Originally Posted by: S. C. MacPeter 

Popcorn, I unfortunately do not know who uploaded this but was able to find some old traces of people seeing it on YT, not just on TV (this is a mid 60s print from the very end of the Black and White Terrytoons being syndicated... seems they made new negs without cuts).

Thanks for the information! Now I'm wondering if any other prints from that era are circulating...
(Also, check your PMs!)
S. C. MacPeter
2024-01-28T05:06:15Z
They were only circulating the later B/Ws with these (1936 onwards) in these prints to my knowledge. A few are on YT (BIG GAME HAUNT and MECHANICAL COW come to mind), and I know collectors have a few others. Not sure why or when footage was reinstated, or if a local station just chopped down the first minute, but I find that unlikely. I wish they did the earlier ones too as they would be insanely helpful for a variety of reasons!
Tommy Stathes
2024-01-30T01:03:26Z
IIRC, my 16mm has that title card on it as well. I remember once getting a rather big batch from that later run of prints. It's fun comparing the various TV versions of the B&W Terrytoons.
PopKorn Kat
2024-02-23T02:37:41Z
Since I've asked other individuals and haven't found an answer, I've decided to put this rare copy up on archive.org  for preservation's sake!

I'm not sure if FLV files automatically convert to H.264 ones on the Internet Archive, so if you want to watch it you'll have to download it.
Mejo
2024-02-23T18:23:04Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

I'm not sure if FLV files automatically convert to H.264 ones on the Internet Archive, so if you want to watch it you'll have to download it.

It appears to work for me fine.

Originally Posted by: S. C. MacPeter 

They were only circulating the later B/Ws with these (1936 onwards) in these prints to my knowledge. A few are on YT (BIG GAME HAUNT and MECHANICAL COW come to mind), and I know collectors have a few others.

It appears that those titles were actually first used on the B/W shorts that were aired as part of Mighty Mouse Playhouse. Cross checking some of the available prints with that title card layout with some old Newspaper listings show that almost all of them aired on that series at one point or another. I believe after that, they were used on the Half-Hour version of Deputy Dawg (alongside most of the Gandy Goose shorts and some of the B/W shorts that were apart of Farmer Alfalfa and His Terrytoons Pals). Again though, this is just speculation.