S. C. MacPeter
2024-02-20T15:16:55Z
Originally Posted by: DudleyDud 

I read on THE BRAY ANIMATION PROJECT that you and your colleagues own all the Krazy Kat cartoons from the Bray era. Do you plan to publish them one day on the Internet or on DVD?

Not to speak over Tommy but to save time for him, I did talk to him a little after I had gotten access to the two films mentioned. Not in the works yet but definitely in due time, potentially including some of the films I’ve discussed. Since my post on the 8mm cutdown, I’ve made a few more discoveries but don’t want to discuss them further for a variety of reasons, but thankfully I have a few other cartoons worth discussing on other threads, including a Bray Krazy

(Believe me, I do think its unfair that I can’t share what I have with everyone, but I do believe that the films I discuss will eventually become available)
Tommy Stathes
2024-02-21T01:41:18Z
Originally Posted by: DudleyDud 

Originally Posted by: Tommy Stathes 

I have to agree with you, and for the simple reason that I feel B.C.'s statement is misleading, or not really thought through. All along, Hearst/IFS/Bray were making joint arrangements for their multiple potential cash cows and probably regardless of what anyone else was doing. Krazy was already a famous property—new decisions to animate the character again in 1919/1920 (first Bray release is January '20) likely would not really have been predicated so much on the early success of a still brand new Master Tom-turned-Felix. It would be fairer to say that Terry (and later Disney, especially through Winkler's urging) were doing more to directly capitalize on Felix's success by strongly emulating Felix with their own cute & clever cats in 1921-1922 and beyond.

I read on THE BRAY ANIMATION PROJECT that you and your colleagues own all the Krazy Kat cartoons from the Bray era. Do you plan to publish them one day on the Internet or on DVD?

Home video is definitely one of several goals for those and lots of other Brays as well. Many of the Bray Krazys only survive in abridged prints. I hope complete versions of more of them will turn up in the future...

S. C. MacPeter
2024-02-21T04:10:52Z
Were Bray Magazine reissues abridged besides the different title cards? I have THE CHINESE HONEYMOON on DVD from one and it seemed to run complete, although it ran a little shorter compared to some others (I've noticed ones that run complete, such as GREAT CHEESE ROBBERY and BEST MOUSE LOSES are about three and a half minutes, while this one is roughly 45 seconds shorter). Others I've watched seem to run even shorter too, although these were in later 8mm bootlegs where the bootleggers may of snipped footage.

The cartoon itself isn't very interesting sadly. Feels like they took a recent continuity in Herriman's strip and expanded it a little, which makes the overall story read flat and dull as it feels like little "happenings" without real gags occurring. It also has the racist element which doesn't win me over either

Quick description: Ignatz wants to get married when he has the dough. Krazy thinks its to them and imagines being his bride. They watch birds pay into a pay phone that isn't working, Ignatz empties it out and finds it full of yen (hole in the middle). He has Krazy sit at the back of a ship while he buys a Chinese bride off an opium smoking duck (both very terribly stereotyped). They take off, revealing Krazy to just be sitting on a landing dock, leaving the Kat behind. Krazy imagines them with a large family and blushes, as Ignatz throws a brick from the distance
Mejo
2024-02-21T05:57:41Z
I do think that more research is needed into the amount of Krazy Kat's produced in the silent era (most notably IFS). Thanks to the John E. Allen stock footage website, a previously unknown Krazy Kat titled Krazy Kat's Bathing Suit was recently discovered.

A bit off topic but what Dinky Doodle and what early Terrytoon that wasn't included CBS's TV Package did you get to see alongside the 2 Winkler Krazy Kat's, S. C.?