mellongraig93
a year ago
You're getting two shows in a row with Jerry Beck! Here's the description for the first part:

"Jerry's annual visit now comprises two back-to-back programs! In this first edition, we'll have the latest cartoon news in feature films (including the Oscar nominations), print media, and home video, plus reviews of both theatrical and streaming movies. Jerry will also tell some entertaining tales of his work on both "The Baby Huey Show" and "Totally Tuned In" during the 1990s that led to some very interesting "fringe benefits". Plus we'll read your e-mails!"

https://stusshow.com/ 

So, if you've got any questions/comments for either part 1 or 2 (with part 2 airing on March 22), I'd advise you to send the e-mails in (if you're not a VIP) by March 3 (since the recording will likely take place on March 4), but not an e-mail on when something is coming out.
Leviathan
a year ago
It Collector's Choice is worth anything to cartoon fans at all, it ought to be at least teased here.
S. C. MacPeter
a year ago
May be just a little too early but I do expect or at least hope for a tease at it. Jerry seems to of been involved in some capacity, so I still think it will be worth getting
Leviathan
a year ago
It comes out at the end of May. March 8th gives them less than three months to put out a press release and get retailer pre-orders in.

= If this Collector's Choice set is something that collectors would truly find appealing, it can't just be the usual "stuff is happening" BS non-answer.
mellongraig93
a year ago
This just in - the second show which involves the Cartoon Corner expanded edition, is now going to be the first show, with the first show now the second show. Those who are VIPs there's no change to the recording schedule and both shows will be recorded on the same day, but Stu will explain why it was changed. For the general public, you'll have to wait until Wednesday to find out why.

Here's the revised description:

"Jerry's annual visit now comprises two back-to-back programs! In this first edition, we have a very special treat in store for you - a full program devoted to classic cartoons from the 1920s through the 1950s in a special expanded version of "Jerry Beck's Cartoon Corner"! Jerry will provide commentary on 12 complete cartoons covering the days of the early talkies right up to when they started running on television. We'll have a special segment on the Van Buren studio, a screening of a recently discovered and restored Betty Boop cartoon, plus sing-a-longs, Terrytoons, and much more! Please join us for what will be a very entertaining program!"

For the general public the deadline to submit e-mails came and went but the VIPs can still send e-mails during the recording session.
Tommy Stathes
a year ago
I am looking forward to this week's installment.
Leviathan
a year ago
Given that the "news" show is the one being pushed back on the end of the month, I think it's more likely that Collector's Choice will have been announced by then and it will be covered.

Superman HAS to be covered. That's already been officially announced and dated for release.

I imagine whatever WAC has cooking (whether it be Popeye, Tex Avery or whatever) will also be at least hinted at.
mellongraig93
a year ago
Here's the link to watch the first part of the two parter with Jerry Beck - this lasts just over three hours.

https://player.viloud.tv/embed/channel/a0a676e18cd317f88d9338a44b024195?fbclid=IwAR1VqoBGSCLQkCEa4anUYeiP185anxH1i2y5gvP4IA4yvnglsAcpnKZZkOw 
mellongraig93
a year ago
Here's what happened - as some of you know Pine Mountain Club experienced its worst blizzard in 51 years with over five feet of snow, causing the high speed internet to go down (and some people are still without power). Because of that, Stu decided to record the second show with his backup internet connection (all cartoon show) with Jerry Beck first, with the news show airing on March 22 once the high speed internet connection is restored.
mellongraig93
a year ago
Speaking of the March 22 news show, here we go for real this time...

"Animation author/historian JERRY BECK returns for his second program this month, and this time, we'll discuss the latest news in features (including an Oscar/ASIFA awards recap), print media, streaming (featuring a discussion on HBO Max and Disney+ removing a massive amount of titles), and home video (with an update on the "Linus the Lionhearted" DVD release and the Disney 100 series). Jerry will also review "Strange World" (Disney+), and we'll take a look at some upcoming feature films that will be released to theaters later this year. All this, plus we'll read your e-mails!"

I already sent my questions in before Stu announced that the show scheduled for March 8 would be changed to March 22.
S. C. MacPeter
a year ago
Probably discussion on the Superman bluray and possibly on Collector's Choice. Still may be just a little bit early as it was with Tex Volume 3, I recall it being announced mere days after Stu's Show. Considering there hasn't been official disclosure on it yet, it may be the case here
a year ago
I just hope new Popeyes will be coming out soon. The new announcement of the Superman blu ray gives me hope.
Leviathan
a year ago
Has Jerry even said anything about the Superman set? It's been officially announced, with a full press release.

If this is a classic cartoon set involving new restorations of 4K scans, surely he'd at least be aware of its existence.

Re: Collector's Choice. This is a mainline WHV joint instead of a WAC joint. Those get announced months in advance and have press releases and retailer pre-orders attached to them, so stealth announcements like WAC releases can't be done.

Superman was announced over two months before release, so I imagine the same will be the case with Collector's Choice.
nickramer
a year ago
For those that want to know, here's all the shorts that were shown on this week's Stu's Show:

Summertime (Van Burean, 1929)

Little Red Riding Hood (Van Burean, 1931)

Pencil Mania (Van Burean, 1932)

The Merry Kittens (Van Burean, 1935)

The Band Master (Lantz, 1931)

Buzzy Boop at the Concert (Fleschers, 1938)

Pickled Puss (Columbia, 1948)

The Ski's the Limit (Famous, 1949)

Happy Holland (Terrytoons, 1952)

Squirrel Crazy (Terrytoons, 1951)

Freeloading Feline (Lantz, 1960)

Swab the Duck (Famous, 1956)

In addition, Stu showed some trailers for cartoon matinees (including two from MGM) and the closing to "The Linus the Lionhearted Show" at the end.
Ian L.
a year ago
This was one of their better shows. I got to watch a ton of cartoons I'd never seen before, and Jerry was very knowledgeable about the studios so it was like taking a class. Enjoyed the story about working with animation fans in Russia on finding Betty Boop at the Concert.

Stu kept apologizing for the spotty internet, but honestly? Considering they were working with back-up internet and Zoom calls are always spotty anyway, it was a lot better than I was expecting.
nickramer
a year ago
A nice show, although, I noticed that most of the shorts shown were ones recently talked about on Cartoon Research.
Steve Stanchfield
a year ago
I help out by lending some of the stuff we've scanned. Things have been so busy in more recent times. I hope to start to be able to be a little more involved this next year (and here too!)
Zachary
a year ago
It's always nice to have you drop in here, Steve.
Leviathan
a year ago
No animation for the Warner Archive in April.

Man, if Collector's Choice isn't formally announced by Wednesday, even if it is, there's gonna be little to no point in listening next week.
S. C. MacPeter
a year ago
A casual reminder that we weren’t even supposed to know it exists at the current moment, WB hasn’t made mention of it yet in any way, and if Jerry can’t address it on Wednesday it’s because of an NDA. We will probably learn more about it in April if it isn’t discussed on the next show

Quick Reply

© 2024 - YetAnotherForum.NET