wundermild
2023-01-16T22:45:40Z
The other day in another thread, S. C. MacPeter had a link to the John E. Allen stock footage company  and pointed out that their vault copy of Disney’s “Alice Solves the Puzzle” contained some footage cut on nearly all other surviving copies (very cool discovery!). So I was digging a bit deeper into their vaults and found some other cartoon-related stuff I haven’t seen elsewhere.

I found “Alice Cans the Cannibals” (1925) in a real good quality (not counting the timecode and footage inventory number overlays).

There were a number of Aesop’s Fables cartoons I have never seen before, like “Office Help” (1925), “Scaling the Alps”, “The Fishing Fool” (both 1928), and “Snow Birds” (1929), all complete with the “2600 years ago, Aesop said” closings intact. The version of “Land o’ Cotton” (known from Thunderbean’s Aesop's Fables BR) has its original titles intact.

Also I found silent versions (with “Aesop’s Film Fables” openings) of “Aesop’s Sound Fables” talkies, with intertitles instead of dialogue: “The Jungle Fool”, “Tuning In” (both 1929), “The Iron Man” and “A Bugville Romance” (both 1930). (I know the talkies only from the old van Beuren Garage Sale DVDs.) There is another silent Fable I cannot identify that has the silent titles of “The Night Club” spliced in.

The copies of “Uncle Tom and Little Eva” (Official home movie name) and “Bugs & Books” (both sound van Beuren shorts, 1932) look very neat.
Felix the Cat: I found complete copies of “Felix Gets Left”, “Felix in the Bone Age” (both 1922), “Felix Goes Hungry” (1924, totally new to me) and “Felix Gets His Fill” (1925). Speaking of Pat Sullivan: There is a copy of “Chestnuts” (1916), too, with an additional scene compared with Tommy’s recent “Cartoon Roots: Feline Follies” BR.

There’s more: early Fleischer animation “Koko in Reverse” (Stuart print), “Fishing” and “False Alarm”. Mutt and Jeff: “Oceans of Trouble” and one more without titles from the Jefferson era, and also a Bud Fisher Mutt and Jeff from 1914. A few Frank Moser-animated IFS cartoons. Keeping up with the Joneses and Unnatural Histories. The Wonders of Radio by Ollendorff. Two stop-motion puppet movies by the Diehl brothers from Germany. And you gotta love Little Billie Bolshevik red-scaring the shit out of Uncle Sam.
S. C. MacPeter
2023-01-17T01:26:28Z
I'm glad you enjoyed the site. I had known about it for a while, but didn't really see a need to post it until I realized that thread. Like I mentioned there, this stock footage owner is rather infamous for charging anywhere from 100 to 200 hundreds per second for use of their nitrates. Nobody has ever come close to making the cut. These are all at LOC and are set to be free use someday, I think 20 years?

I'm surprised you didn't note GRANDMA STEPS OUT,  from a reissue print with a pretty poor reissue track if I'm honest. The BREMEN soundtrack is much better, as heard from Tommy's recent TCM program
Bobby Bickert
2023-01-17T19:15:52Z
Originally Posted by: wundermild 

The other day in another thread, S. C. MacPeter had a link to the John E. Allen stock footage company  and pointed out that their vault copy of Disney’s “Alice Solves the Puzzle” contained some footage cut on nearly all other surviving copies (very cool discovery!)

Years ago Tom Stathes pieced together a complete version of "Alice Solves the Puzzle" from more than one home movie print. I remember him posting about it on the now-defunct Animation History Forum and being very proud of it.

S. C. MacPeter
2023-01-17T23:08:19Z
I'll need to get that soon, as I'm sure he put it on one of his old discs. I know there are other complete materials too. I assume Julius falls off a cliff while intoxicated, gets back to himself, and runs to warn Alice about Pete