wiley207
  • wiley207
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2022-07-09T03:21:33Z
I found out today that veteran actor Larry Storch had died of natural causes during the night. He was 99 years old. Known for starring on the "F-Troop" TV series, Storch also did numerous animation voiceovers.
His most well-known cartoon voice role would have to be Phineas J. Whoopee, of "Tennssee Tuxedo and His Tales." Basing his voice off Frank Morgan, Mr. Whoopee had a vast wealth of knowledge in helping Tennessee and Chumley with how to get things to work, basic science principles and history lessons, and practical advice like simple exercising. In most cases, he had the aid of his "three-dimensional blackboard," something he'd pull out of his overstuffed closet and create drawings that come to life on the 3DBB. This was where much of the show's educational material came from, as it was created partly due to people criticizing the lack of educational content on Saturday morning television. Just like Tennessee and Chumley, I too learned quite a bit from Mr. Whoopee, and Larry Storch's voice work there helped a lot, creating a wise and jovial character kids don't mind learning from.

Because "F-Troop" was a Warner Bros. Television production, and because Mel Blanc was often getting busier and more pricier when Warner Bros. Animation re-opened in 1967 under ownership of Warner Bros.- Seven Arts, Larry Storch was often cast to do voice work for those infamous later Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts. His most infamous Looney Tunes voice role was Cool Cat, the beatnik tiger that became dated from his very debut! So of course, Larry Storch went with a stereotypical beatnik/hipster kind of voice, complete with the occasional late 50s-early 60s beat slang being spoken ("Let's split the scene!", "Groovy, man!", etc.) Storch also voiced Cool Cat's foe in the 1967-68 shorts Alex Lovy directed: Colonel Rimfire, a stereotypical British big game hunter who I thought was a little annoying at times. I remember at times Rimfire's voice reminded me a bit of a British Phineas J. Whoopee.
Storch also voiced Merlin the Magic Mouse and his sidekick Second Banana, taking over the role from Daws Butler after the characters' first short. But to be honest, Storch's Merlin and Second Banana voices were nowhere as good as Butler's. His W.C. Fields imitation was noticeably weak, and after trying unsuccessfuly to make Second Banana sound like the Elroy Jetson/Augie Doggie/Dixie voice Butler initially used for the character, Storch retooled his voice to sound like a little Scrappy Doo-esque tough guy, and they also replaced Second Banana's green bowtie with a turtleneck sweater to reflect this (particularly in "Fistic Mystic", where he's up against a Western bandit in a boxing match, with the aid of magic boxing gloves Merlin whipped up, of course).

And with this death, that means that we now have no more surviving original "Looney Tunes" and "Tennessee Tuxedo" voice actors. The end of an era...
"So cool it now, ya hear?
eutychus
2022-07-09T23:33:17Z
Originally Posted by: wiley207 

"I'm warning you, Dobbs!"

RareSox
2022-07-10T00:13:38Z
Originally Posted by: eutychus 

Originally Posted by: wiley207 

"I'm warning you, Dobbs!"