Mesterius
2022-05-07T21:36:15Z
Originally Posted by: Einhander 

Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Yeah, that's a fan-made restoration, done precisely BECAUSE Warner has no plans of releasing their HD remaster of Casanova Cat (or Mouse Cleaning) anywhere.

Considering how terrible the colors look in most of Warner's remasters of the 1949-54 T&J shorts, cartoon981002's restoration probably even looks better than Warner's official HD version.


Weren't those restorations outsourced somewhere else? I seem to remember reading something about that.



A comment posted by Cool_Cat a few years ago over here  went into detail about the color problems. He's mainly talking about the later HBO Max MGM remasters, but it also applies to the 2012 (and onwards) Tom and Jerry HD prints:

Quote:

It's clear they didn't have budgets, so they heavily used automatic dirt removal tools, which again is linked to that weird color correction you'd see in the later WB releases... (...) As for the color correction looking like that, it's because they intentionally forced every color to be in a certain range where the automated dirt removal works without damaging too much the picture.



I'd link to the specific comment, except I can't figure out how to do that with this forum design.

And speaking of the design... off-topic, and I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I've been keeping quiet about it forever: why is the current design of this forum so terrible? It's simply counter-productive in every possible way. Many buttons are made invisible because they're in the same color as the background, and the comment layout actually makes it difficult to distinguish between quoted comments and new comments. It's a turnoff whenever I visit the forum these days, and honestly one of the reasons I don't do it much. Can we please get the old design from a few years ago back? Or at least something that works better than this?
Zachary
2022-05-08T21:45:19Z
The number at the upper-right corner of posts is also a direct link to that post, so you can right click it and choose "Copy Link Location" (or your browser's equivalent) to have a URL copied that you can use. (Make sure you surround URLs with [url]...[/url] tags or use the Create Link toolbar button whenever you're not placing them at the beginnings of new lines; the forum's parsing of plain URLs without any tags is buggy in the version this site's currently using.)

Yeah, modern YAF.NET is a comedown compared to the earlier incarnation and I ranted about it myself at the time. Such is the way it is these days with software and websites in general, where "upgrades" or UI "improvements" often actually mean things getting worse. But the earlier incarnation is of course no longer maintained by the developers, so anyone still using it would be on their own in patching or working around security vulnerabilities and compatibility issues arising thereafter, and Eutychus has enough on his plate to deal with in administering this site and in real life. And there's worse forum software and designs out there. At this point, I'm just grateful that we can still talk cartoons on a traditional independent discussion forum. The very business models of social networking platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and the like revolve around tracking users' usage habits, manipulating them into as much "engagement" as possible to maximize the data collected, and monetizing that data by selling it to advertisers. (As I've repeatedly seen it put, these companies' actual products are their users.) And most in the classic animation community, as with many tech consumers, are just fine with this abuse just to be in on what's fashionable.

One thing that would help is if people would edit quotes in their replies to only contain the post they're replying to, and/or strip out images or video embeds; huge blocks of nested quotes and needlessly-quoted images don't do readability any favors, on any forum.
Mesterius
2022-05-09T00:46:10Z
Originally Posted by: Zachary 

The number at the upper-right corner of posts is also a direct link to that post, so you can right click it and choose "Copy Link Location" (or your browser's equivalent) to have a URL copied that you can use. (Make sure you surround URLs with [url]...[/url] tags or use the Create Link toolbar button whenever you're not placing them at the beginnings of new lines; the forum's parsing of plain URLs without any tags is buggy in the version this site's currently using.).


Thanks. For some reason, clicking on the number just didn't cross my mind. I instead tried clicking on the date header for the post, and even at the '...' button, to find a comment permalink. Maybe I was distracted/tired and that's why the number didn't occur to me. But I guess I just find this design less than intuitive.

Originally Posted by: Zachary 

Yeah, modern YAF.NET is a comedown compared to the earlier incarnation and I ranted about it myself at the time. Such is the way it is these days with software and websites in general, where "upgrades" or UI "improvements" often actually mean things getting worse. But the earlier incarnation is of course no longer maintained by the developers, so anyone still using it would be on their own in patching or working around security vulnerabilities and compatibility issues arising thereafter, and Eutychus has enough on his plate to deal with in administering this site and in real life. And there's worse forum software and designs out there. At this point, I'm just grateful that we can still talk cartoons on a traditional independent discussion forum. The very business models of social networking platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and the like revolve around tracking users' usage habits, manipulating them into as much "engagement" as possible to maximize the data collected, and monetizing that data by selling it to advertisers. (As I've repeatedly seen it put, these companies' actual products are their users.) And most in the classic animation community, as with many tech consumers, are just fine with this abuse just to be in on what's fashionable.


I feel like there are so many forums out there with better designs, though... Have you considered switching software completely?

I do get that looking into switching software or adjusting the design is work, and that the administrators may not have much time for it. But still, the current design is a source of frustration for me whenever I come here.

Originally Posted by: Zachary 

One thing that would help is if people would edit quotes in their replies to only contain the post they're replying to, and/or strip out images or video embeds; huge blocks of nested quotes and needlessly-quoted images don't do readability any favors, on any forum.


For sure. But regardless of how big or small the quote is, the lines/layout separating the quote from the new comment should at least be PROPERLY LEGIBLE. Can't you at least change the border to a color and/or thickness that's more readable? The 'steps' separating the different replies are almost invisible too.

UserPostedImage

And since we're talking about color... why is THIS necessary? Buttons are rendered virtually unreadable because the text is dark blue on top of a dark blue background. Surely you can at least change THAT to something more functional?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
PopKorn Kat
2022-05-09T00:58:15Z
I'd suggest taking any further comments on the forum's design to this thread . It's not that I disagree (in fact, I do agree with some of the comments made), but rather, none of this is related to the thread's topic.

I should also mention that I only moderate the forums. I can't address anything involving what goes on "under the hood" - that's eutychus' thing.
Ian L.
  • Ian L.
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2022-05-10T13:35:07Z
So....... getting back to the topic at hand, these are worth buying then?