Toadette
2021-09-04T17:12:12Z
Originally Posted by: raginggoodfella 

How about the short, WHAT PRICE FLEADOM?, being on it? I don’t think I ever saw that cartoon uncut on local or cable tv.

That cartoon did air uncensored, actually (outside of removing the MGM logo at the very beginning for time purposes), on Boomerang's Tom and Jerry block during the final years of that channel's original branding. I can personally attest to having seen it multiple times in 2014, and I remember being surprised that the dog's attempted suicide was always intact in spite of reading that it was censored in the past (probably shows how much Boomerang was on total auto-pilot at that point).
Mesterius
2021-09-04T17:32:35Z

How about the short, WHAT PRICE FLEADOM?, being on it? I don’t think I ever saw that cartoon uncut on local or cable tv.

Are you thinking about that abrupt fade-out near the end? I'm pretty sure that's always been in the film. (Thad can probably confirm; nothing about a cut is mentioned in his MGM cartoon filmography ).

EDIT: Ah, wait... that wasn't what you meant. The quick fade-out right after the bulldog shoots just always stood out to me.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-09-04T18:38:49Z
Originally Posted by: Toadette 

That cartoon did air uncensored, actually (outside of removing the MGM logo at the very beginning for time purposes), on Boomerang's Tom and Jerry block during the final years of that channel's original branding. I can personally attest to having seen it multiple times in 2014, and I remember being surprised that the dog's attempted suicide was always intact in spite of reading that it was censored in the past (probably shows how much Boomerang was on total auto-pilot at that point).

I can vouch for that claim cause I remember seeing it uncut in that block during that year as well (along with a handful of other post-48 Avery cartoons). It always confused me whenever I'd read old internet posts about the dog's attempted suicide being edited out since I was used to seeing it uncut whenever it popped up on TV. Either way, I expect it to be one of the cartoons on volume 3.
raginggoodfella
2021-09-04T19:25:52Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Are you thinking about that abrupt fade-out near the end? I'm pretty sure that's always been in the film. (Thad can probably confirm; nothing about a cut is mentioned in his MGM cartoon filmography ).

EDIT: Ah, wait... that wasn't what you meant. The quick fade-out right after the bulldog shoots just always stood out to me.

The dog’s attempt and the fade out is what I meant.So that fade out is normal? I have seen the dog’s attempt but not always on TBS/TNT/local tv channels many many years ago. This is one of MGM Tex Avery cartoons that I never could tape off tv in an uncut form.

raginggoodfella
2021-09-05T13:11:53Z
More random questions about this collection: When will list of the cartoons on this blu ray be announced? When will reviews/still shots (and not from the WB cheerleaders) be posted? And does Amazon still delay these WB archive discs? The first 2 blu-rays I bought from Target and Walmart in spite of the WB screwups. I waited for a price drop and cancelled a Amazon pre-order on the 1st one. And will the last remaining Screwy Squirrel cartoon be on it?
Mesterius
2021-09-05T20:36:25Z

More random questions about this collection: When will list of the cartoons on this blu ray be announced? When will reviews/still shots (and not from the WB cheerleaders) be posted? And does Amazon still delay these WB archive discs? The first 2 blu-rays I bought from Target and Walmart in spite of the WB screwups. I waited for a price drop and cancelled a Amazon pre-order on the 1st one. And will the last remaining Screwy Squirrel cartoon be on it?

You're just gonna have to wait like all of us. 😉
S. C. MacPeter
2021-09-07T02:03:44Z
No more waiting! Jerry announced in a comment on his FB that he'll be announcing contents on the Cartoon Research site tomorrow!
UserPostedImage

I'm interested if it'll be in the form of another Keith Scott post on the voices behind Avery's films as I enjoyed what he did on them for the last two volumes
Mesterius
2021-09-07T07:57:26Z
Jerry has now posted about the set on Cartoon Research , including a contents list. Twenty cartoons, plus one Avery Warner Bros. cartoon also in HD, now restored with its original soundtrack. More details in the blog post.

Quote:

BLITZ WOLF
THE EARLY BIRD DOOD IT
ONE HAM’S FAMILY
HAPPY GO NUTTY
JERKY TURKEY
THE SHOOTING OF DAN McGOO
SWING SHIFT CINDERELLA
WILD AND WOLFY
NORTHWEST HOUNDED POLICE
SLAP HAPPY LION
KING SIZE CANARY
WHAT PRICE FLEADOM
LITTLE TINKER
SENOR DROOPY
COCK-A-DOODLE DOG
ROCK-A-BYE BEAR
LITTLE JOHNNY JET
BILLY BOY
DEPUTY DROOPY
CELLBOUND

and a bonus cartoon not from Tex’s MGM tenure, but from his days prior at Warner Bros., THE CRACKPOT QUAIL (with its original 1941 soundtrack).

PopKorn Kat
2021-09-07T08:04:35Z
The list of shorts has been released on Cartoon Research: https://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/some-advance-notes-on-tex-avery-screwball-classics-volume-3/ 

Jerry Beck wrote:

BLITZ WOLF
THE EARLY BIRD DOOD IT
ONE HAM’S FAMILY
HAPPY GO NUTTY
JERKY TURKEY
THE SHOOTING OF DAN McGOO
SWING SHIFT CINDERELLA
WILD AND WOLFY
NORTHWEST HOUNDED POLICE
SLAP HAPPY LION
KING SIZE CANARY
WHAT PRICE FLEADOM
LITTLE TINKER
SENOR DROOPY
COCK-A-DOODLE DOG
ROCK-A-BYE BEAR
LITTLE JOHNNY JET
BILLY BOY
DEPUTY DROOPY
CELLBOUND

and a bonus cartoon not from Tex’s MGM tenure, but from his days prior at Warner Bros., THE CRACKPOT QUAIL (with its original 1941 soundtrack).

I will say that last inclusion is a pleasant surprise I did not see coming. Overall, slightly disappointed that some more controversial shorts (five, to be exact) didn't make the cut, but like I said, their exclusion is understandable.

The included screenshots have made me more optimistic.
Toonatic
  • Toonatic
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2021-09-07T09:50:20Z
Also stated by Jerry in the article:

Will there be a volume 4? All I can say is: Hang onto your blu-ray players. George is back, and we are already compiling and restoring some things you’ll want to own – and they won’t be available from any other source."

;)
fulano7
2021-09-07T10:34:19Z
The bonus short and the volume 4 comment at the end were good surprises.

The mere suggestion of a volume 4 at the end leaves me hopeful, because if volume 3 really were to be the last, there would be no mention of a possible volume 4 at all.
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
Gnik_LJN
2021-09-07T11:28:05Z
How should I interpret that line in the Cartoon Research article? Does that mean they are using the nitrate print of Dan McGoo for this disc or not?

Quote:

I’d always hoped to get around to restoring that track for one of the Looney Tunes Golden Collections but it just never happened – However, now was the perfect time.

Quote:

We had also hoped to add a transfer of a rare nitrate release print (courtesy of animator Mark Kausler) of The Shooting of Dan McGoo, that contained gags later removed from the subsequent rerelease; We had ideas for a bonus documentary about the differences of the original titles and gags from the original 1940s release versions and the 1950s re-releases… but the whole Avery 3 project was off limits due to changes within WarnerMedia during 2021. George Feltenstein was impacted by massive company layoffs which led to his departure from the company earlier in the year. George did not know if the release would be completed and prepared as we had set forth – or not. Fortunately, George was able to return to the company last month, and amidst his other duties, has resumed his oversight of the Warner Archive Collection.

SuperMuppet64
2021-09-07T13:35:39Z
Nitrate McGoo is not on the disc
S. C. MacPeter
2021-09-07T16:16:14Z
From the sounds of it, it seems like if it sells well enough (which I’m sell it will considering how well the other two did), the nirate McGoo and remaining 5 cartoons will be released as some sorta “volume 4 bonus”. If it does happen I could see a good batch of Tex’s WB cartoons on this.

Hearing that Crackpot Quail is on it with the original track makes this worth purchasing alone, but I’m curious if the photoshopped title has been corrected or not
Toonatic
  • Toonatic
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2021-09-07T18:24:34Z
Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 

Nitrate McGoo is not on the disc

According to the Jerry in the comments section:

"All I can say is: It’s appearance on another set in the future is not out of the question."
raginggoodfella
2021-09-07T18:47:01Z
Originally Posted by: Toonatic 

Also stated by Jerry in the article:

Will there be a volume 4? All I can say is: Hang onto your blu-ray players. George is back, and we are already compiling and restoring some things you’ll want to own – and they won’t be available from any other source."

;)

Is this supposed to imply that with George back, that all of Avery’s cartoons will be released? I am happy about the hope, but the fans have been let down before. I don’t see the Avery’s un-pc cartoons being released officially by Warner’s. But other than that, I love that list of cartoons on this blu ray.
SuperMuppet64
2021-09-07T19:18:08Z
jerry's sheer confidence in a volume 4, plus apparently george being in a higher position than he was before (dont remember where i heard that, mightve been here) seems a little telling. but no counting your chickens before they hatch
S. C. MacPeter
2021-09-07T19:55:43Z
Honestly my biggest thing about Jerry's thing on a volume 4 is a chance that Lucky Ducky can use that original UK print, which would be awesome. I consider that one (and Henpecked Hoboes) Avery stables. The proposed doc on the MGM reissue changes would be nice on it too. Honestly a V4 could mean so many things but we'll wait and see
Leviathan
2021-09-08T00:07:43Z
Originally Posted by: fulano7 

The mere suggestion of a volume 4 at the end leaves me hopeful, because if volume 3 really were to be the last, there would be no mention of a possible volume 4 at all.

It's troubling still that the only missing MGM Tex cartoons are the un-PC ones. And the Cinemascope remakes.
Mesterius
2021-09-08T01:55:41Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

Originally Posted by: fulano7 

It's troubling still that the only missing MGM Tex cartoons are the un-PC ones. And the Cinemascope remakes.

All the MGM Cinemascope cartoons were restored in HD back in the 2000s, so it shouldn't cost anything to include them.