Mac
  • Mac
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2021-08-13T18:17:54Z
Has anyone caught the new Goofy cartoons on Disney Plus yet? I'd love to know what you think. So far all I've seen is this clip:

Am I missing something here? From what I can tell, this 2 minutes is actually a full cartoon in a series of three very short cartoons. Seems to be top talent on a tight budget – directed by Eric Goldberg, but with simple-as-possible backgrounds and music samples taken from vintage cartoons (handily listed in the credits).

It feels like these should have been an online thing and released over a year ago when Disney was releasing the "At Home with Olaf" Frozen shorts. Seems very late to be topical with the stay-at-home stuff.
nickramer
2021-08-13T19:40:44Z
Well, they don't exactly have an actual traditional animation unit right now.
Toadette
2021-08-13T21:22:46Z
While I do think it's a little disappointing to find that these are basically mini-mini-shorts, at the same time it's very nice to see Eric Goldberg and his team getting to do their thing - the character animation obviously has much more verve and life to it than a lot of the new Looney Tunes shorts, aha, and you can tell this small team tried making the most of their limited resources.

According to Goldberg , last autumn he tried several other ideas that would be fun for hand-drawn, and this was basically the only one the studio heads really liked. In the end, it took this (literally) homely skeleton crew almost nine months  just to complete these apparently 6 minutes - it's unfortunate, but at this point anything new with these characters that actually has Goldberg and others of his caliber involved is a pleasant surprise...
PopKorn Kat
2021-08-14T00:56:47Z
I just finished watching the shorts - just around four minutes of content! I am glad we got these bread crumbs of content, since what is here is funny and gorgeously animated.
nickramer
2021-08-14T03:05:59Z
Originally Posted by: Toadette 

While I do think it's a little disappointing to find that these are basically mini-mini-shorts, at the same time it's very nice to see Eric Goldberg and his team getting to do their thing - the character animation obviously has much more verve and life to it than a lot of the new Looney Tunes shorts, aha, and you can tell this small team tried making the most of their limited resources.

Yeah and that's because a lot of the new Looney Tunes were either animated overseas or done in Flash (or Animate! or whatever it is called these days).
Mac
  • Mac
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2021-08-16T17:02:32Z
Thanks, everyone. I've caught up with these now and agree with everyone here. Nice to get these little morsels with fluid hand-drawn animation and the classic version of Goofy back. I really like the community spirit involved with the making of these cartoons in people's homes too.
Arikel88
2021-09-19T05:33:34Z
Traditional animation is hard thank God for computers.