Leviathan
2021-08-06T13:55:05Z
The set Jerry talked about a couple of days ago is Woody. 25 cartoons, "newly remastered in high definition".




https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=342117 
Ian L.
2021-08-06T22:02:59Z
I never got around to buying the original DVD sets so I may have to jump on this.
Mesterius
2021-08-07T11:18:15Z
Jerry Beck posted a list of the 25 cartoons that will be included on his Cartoon Research Facebook group . As he has explained elsewhere, almost all of them are shorts that were recently restored for HD TV broadcast (and have also been released on Woody Woodpecker's official, Arabian YouTube channel). That's the reason this MOD Blu-ray exists in the first place. Sadly, Woody's first appearance in "Knock, Knock" is not included... perhaps because that's officially an Andy Panda short?

Quote:

1. Woody Woodpecker (1940)
2. The Screwdriver (1941)
3. Pantry Panic (1941)
4. The Hollywood Matador (1942)
5. Ace in the Hole (1942)
6. The Loan Stranger (1942)
7. The Screwdriver (1943) [seems to be a misspelling of "The Screwball"]
8. Ration Bored (1943)
9. The Barber of Seville (1944)
10. The Beach Nut (1944)
11. Ski For Two (1944)
12. Chew Chew Baby (1945)
13. Woody Dines Out (1945)
14. The Loose Nut (1945)
15. The Reckless Driver (1946)
16. Fair Weather Fiends (1946)
17. Woody The Giant Killer (1947)
18. Wet Blanket Policy (1948)
19. Wild and Woody (1948)
20. The Woody Woodpecker Polka (1951)
21. Born to Peck (1952)
22. Termites From Mars (1952)
23. Under the Counter Spy (1954)
24. Niagara Fools (1956)
25. The Bird Who Came To Dinner (1961)

Leviathan
2021-08-07T17:26:22Z
I believe the only one that wasn't released on DVD was the last one.

The YouTube uploads look pretty good in terms of color and lack of line erasing, so that's encouraging.
Mesterius
2021-08-07T19:18:25Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

I believe the only one that wasn't released on DVD was the last one.

The YouTube uploads look pretty good in terms of color and lack of line erasing, so that's encouraging.



Yeah, the color looks better than many of the prints on the 2007-08 DVDs.

Though, the YouTube uploads also look pretty scrubbed in term of film grain and texture. I HOPE that's YouTube compression more than it's representative of the actual prints. The "Niagara Fools" HD scan that was done for the release of the 2017 hybrid movie looks nice and grainy at least.
PopKorn Kat
2021-08-07T22:24:06Z
The color on some of those Arabic prints also varied wildly in quality. I felt that a fair amount of the shorts leaned way too much towards red, resulting in a Cinecolor-esque look.
Jason Todd
2021-08-07T22:28:50Z
I hope that they fixed the opening Universal tags, for this release.

The Arabic prints that were leaked have one generic Universal logo sequence, presumably taken from a black-and-white cartoon. That’s no restoration! That’s alteration!
Bradskey
2021-08-08T00:33:25Z
Nice. Instant purchase.
nickramer
2021-08-09T03:45:47Z
Nice. Wasn't expecting this to be MOD, though (which drops any chance of audio commentaries).
Slowly I Turn
2021-08-09T15:21:48Z
Happy to see this. I'm not one that has to always upgrade to Blu Ray for something I already own, but I think I will get this in some hope that it somehow helps other things to come to us.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-08-09T16:04:39Z
This set's been in the works for a while, there's some Woody Woodpecker show bonus features that are neat. I've been told by differencing people that the cartoons had further work on them for the set and some have said not. We'll see when it comes out September 7th. Either way, it is nice to see these cartoons without looking overly dirty or an overload of DNR
RareSox
2021-08-14T14:44:55Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Jerry Beck posted a list of the 25 cartoons that will be included on his Cartoon Research Facebook group . As he has explained elsewhere, almost all of them are shorts that were recently restored for HD TV broadcast (and have also been released on Woody Woodpecker's official, Arabian YouTube channel). That's the reason this MOD Blu-ray exists in the first place. Sadly, Woody's first appearance in "Knock, Knock" is not included... perhaps because that's officially an Andy Panda short?

Quote:

1. Woody Woodpecker (1940)
2. The Screwdriver (1941)
3. Pantry Panic (1941)
4. The Hollywood Matador (1942)
5. Ace in the Hole (1942)
6. The Loan Stranger (1942)
7. The Screwdriver (1943) [seems to be a misspelling of "The Screwball"]
8. Ration Bored (1943)
9. The Barber of Seville (1944)
10. The Beach Nut (1944)
11. Ski For Two (1944)
12. Chew Chew Baby (1945)
13. Woody Dines Out (1945)
14. The Loose Nut (1945)
15. The Reckless Driver (1946)
16. Fair Weather Fiends (1946)
17. Woody The Giant Killer (1947)
18. Wet Blanket Policy (1948)
19. Wild and Woody (1948)
20. The Woody Woodpecker Polka (1951)
21. Born to Peck (1952)
22. Termites From Mars (1952)
23. Under the Counter Spy (1954)
24. Niagara Fools (1956)
25. The Bird Who Came To Dinner (1961)



Wait... Those are just the arabian copies, isn't it? Termites from Mars seems to catch my eye though, as I never had that copy. That, The Loan Stranger, and Ace in the Hole.

I just wish they would release more restorations, but it seems okay for my liking, I guess.

I'll just wait until they hit Peacock so we can get more Lantz restorations.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-08-17T01:06:47Z
Their not hitting Peacock anytime soon, these have been around since 2019 and would’ve already been on there by now. That said, I’ve been told if this blu ray sells well it might cause more Lantz restorations. These 25 and Hypnotic Hick are the only Lantz cartoons restored to HD by Universal
RareSox
2021-08-21T19:27:50Z
Well, we might as well buy it! The Woodpecker needs his due.
PopKorn Kat
2021-09-11T01:17:06Z
Jerry Beck has posted screenshots from the set's copies of "Pantry Panic" and "The Screwdriver" and...I'm genuinely surprised. It looks like they actually went back and redid at least a few of the shorts.

UserPostedImage  Taking a very quick glance at a copy of "Pantry Panic" found on the official Arabic YouTube channel , it does appear they went back and brightened up the picture a bit. While this does have me a little more optimistic, I still wonder how the rest of the shorts were handled, especially "Wild and Woody!", which was way too red on the Arabic channel.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-09-11T17:46:14Z
Popcorn, a photo of Wild and Woody was posted on the bluray forums. While still in the warm area, it is still further aligned better
PopKorn Kat
2021-09-11T19:58:43Z
More screenshots of the set have been posted on the Blu-ray.com forums.  The transfer quality looks great, and the colors themselves seem to (mostly) be an improvement from the Classic Cartoon Collections.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-09-11T20:11:50Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

The colors themselves seem to (mostly) be an improvement from the Classic Cartoon Collections.



Improvement indeed, the color is much better compared to the DVDs.

Example here, from the DVDs of the Woody opening
UserPostedImage

Here's the image Jerry posted
UserPostedImage
Leviathan
2021-09-12T14:15:28Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

More screenshots of the set have been posted on the Blu-ray.com forums.  The transfer quality looks great, and the colors themselves seem to (mostly) be an improvement from the Classic Cartoon Collections.



The guy who posted them says there's a decent amount of grain, which you can see in the screenshots.

The YT Arabic copies looked like they had been scrubbed pretty hard, so that's a good thing.
Ian L.
2021-09-13T12:48:32Z
Still no shipping notice for me from Amazon. Hopefully soon.