saljarena
2021-04-14T15:43:52Z
Greetings All,

I am a new registrant and was thrilled to find this website!!!

I am reaching out for assistance in identifying a piece of 'stock' music that has been frustratingly locked in my memory for many years. I have vivid memories as a child in the early 1960’s watching ‘Farmer Alfalfa’ cartoons, which immediately followed the daily TV ‘Please Stand By’ test pattern screen, our National Anthem, the Morning Prayer and The Modern Farmer line-up beginning at about 6am each morning. As you all know, they were a selection of silent cartoons crafted by Paul Terry in the late 1920’s and early 1930’s starring old Farmer Alfalfa (AKA: Farmer Gray) along with a variety of supporting animal characters (lots of cats and mice). Very entertaining for a child back in the day. Evidently, the local New York station who ran the cartoons (either WPIX 11 or WNEW 5) compiled pieces of 'stock' music to accompany these precious animations.

Having an ear for music as far back as I can remember, I retained portions of the background melodies and for years have been trying to identify them, so I can relive those wonderful times. Several years ago, I even reached out to the local TV stations, WPIX and WNEW to see if they had any record of the playlists for the cartoons but unfortunately, they did not and they told me they likely just pieced together 'stock' musical segments at the time to run with the cartoon. I was so very disappointed.

Just recently I did completed some research and fortunately discovered the composer, Roger Roger. To my absolute delight, I was able to find and listen to several of those great tunes on YouTube. One of my fondest and most complete memories was the tune: 'Whimsical Tale'. I almost broke down and cried when I heard it after all these years... just as I had remembered it!

I am a self-taught, amateur musician who enjoys playing the piano by ear and fortunately as a result, I can play portions of the music as best as I can remember them, but I would absolutely love to capture the original and complete orchestral rendition of them to hear them again, if at all possible. I’ve also tried to run my recorded snippets through music recognition apps such as Shazam, SoundHound and Musixmatch, but without much success, except for a piece that was identified as ‘Sellenger’s Round’ which I remember as a background on some silent cartoon segments however I am still searching for the orchestral version of that tune as I had remembered it. It must be somewhere out there though, because I have it burned in my memory.

I realize that this is a long shot but there is one particular tune that I have recorded as an .avi file and would absolutely love it if I could send it to someone and they can identify it. I would be so grateful if someone could even just point me towards a limited path of composer or composition possibilities to research. Please let me know how I can attach a file and send it along to someone for identification. Thank you so very much for any help you can provide in this crazy personal endeavour... before I leave this earth!

Sincerely, Sal
OutOfOdor
2021-04-17T18:27:08Z
Hey, I'd love to be able to hear whatever track you're wondering about. I'm sure if you just upload it to a storage service like Google Drive, you shouldn't have any problems sharing it.
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)