WANTED: Silent Fables - Forum.
OutOfOdor
2021-01-21T00:09:17Z
The old Paul Terry Fables have intrigued me of late, and to me, it's a shame that there aren't TOO much out there from this series, specifically those from the Stuart/Guaranteed TV package. I'm looking for more of those specifically, but it would be cool to have access to more from the Commonwealth package with the Valentino music as well, as only a few of the Commonwealth prints on YT retain them. The following shorts are the ones I'm interested in the most, as I know they're out there, and know or recall they were part of either of these packages.
-Amateur Night at the Ark (Stuart)
-China Doll (Commonwealth)
-Gold Push (Stuart)
-Knight Out (Stuart)
-Over the Plate (Stuart)
-Short Vacation (Commonwealth)
-Stars of the Circus (Commonwealth)
-Sunny Italy (Commonwealth)
-Transatlantic Flight (Stuart)
-The Wild West (Commonwealth)

But if anyone has Commonwealth or Stuart/Guaranteed copies of Aesops that aren't floating around on the 'Tube, let me know either here on in a PM. I'd love to see some new Stuart prints especially, just so I can hear what the music sounds like. The following Stuart/Guaranteed are the ones I already have access to, so don't send copies of:
-A Trip to the Pole
-Alley Cat
-Closer Than a Brother
-Hunting in 1950
-In Vaudeville
-Land Boom
-Last Ha Ha
-Little Parade
-On the Links
-One Man Dog
-Pests
-Phoney Express
-Ugly Duckling

As for Commonwealth prints with the original music:
-A Day's Outing/A Cat's Life
-Black Magic/Magic Boots
-Mouse's Bride
-Mouse's Tale/The Hero Wins
-Mysteries of the Sea/Wonders of the Deep
-Raisin and a Cake of Yeast/Chemistry Lesson
-Scrambled Eggs/Closer Than a Brother
-Venus and the Cat/All in a Day
-The White Elephant (I dunno if the music on this print was added later for a video release, though: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3a8slk )
-Window Washers

The copies with the organ music don't count.

Thanks in advance,
OOO.
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
mannduke
2021-01-21T15:41:41Z
Check Navets et bis carosse's channel; he's got some Arte Cartoon Factory episodes with some silent Fables.
OutOfOdor
2021-01-21T18:47:41Z
Thanks so much, a number of those episodes have ones I'm looking for!
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
kazblox
2021-01-21T20:06:45Z
If we're talking about the typical public, unrestored copies, I can give you some good pointers:
A Trip to the Pole (Stuart Pictures): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6IoJlOucU 
The Bear and The Bees (silent dupe of Commonwealth's sound/"The Musical Bear" release): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpYl8Jnn2YM 
In Vaudeville (Stuart Pictures): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA9Sc6yC3j0 
On the Links (Stuart Pictures): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wspLkjzg0Og 
The Faithful Pup (silent home segment, originally a sound Fable but pre-Fly's Bride, so not sure if original is actually a reissue): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S266R32nD9Q 

Note: Mouse's Tale is probably "The Hero Wins," "Magic Boots" is probably "Black Magic," and "A Cat's Life" is probably "A Day's Outing." "Sharpshooter" may be the "The Mysterious Hat." These are complete guesses, since I do not have copyright synopses with me. Gerstein, by the way, forgot to mention that "Presto Chango" is actually a reissue of "The Magician."

P.S.: Commonwealth's silent (gasp, these usually happen with the sound releases!) television release of "Cracked Ice" is actually that of "On The Ice," released in early 1925... and also in early 1928?! [Maybe a different cartoon? "A Dog's Paradise" also appears twice between late 1922 and early 1923 in my filmography listing. Not sure what happened here.] If I recall, the Commonwealth silent release of "Horses, Horses, Horses..." Recollecting my memory, that (gasp again!) may actually be "The Phoney Express," which I've seen a Stuart Pictures Fables release under the same name, with related context. Confusing. Might be just blunt confusion on my part.

I need to keep a chart in Excel somewhere...
Tommy Stathes
2021-01-21T20:16:44Z
I'd be curious to know the source of the Bear and the Bees print. That's a nice one that I haven't seen before or come across in print archiving...not unlike many of the other Commonwealths, sadly enough. I'm trying to acquire more physical prints so some restorations of the Fables can finally be done.
kazblox
2021-01-21T21:15:47Z
Originally Posted by: Tommy Stathes 

I'd be curious to know the source of the Bear and the Bees print. That's a nice one that I haven't seen before or come across in print archiving...not unlike many of the other Commonwealths, sadly enough. I'm trying to acquire more physical prints so some restorations of the Fables can finally be done.

This came from Richard Lewis Ward of the University of Southern Alabama. Unfortunately, contact seems to be scarce with him. He's ran a book on Hal Roach, including another on the Pathe company itself.
Tommy Stathes
2021-01-21T23:15:13Z
Originally Posted by: kazblox 

This came from Richard Lewis Ward of the University of Southern Alabama. Unfortunately, contact seems to be scarce with him. He's ran a book on Hal Roach, including another on the Pathe company itself.

Thanks, I'll look into it...
OutOfOdor
2021-01-22T00:22:08Z
Hey, thanks, Kaz! "In Vaudeville" is one that I've already found in the "Cartoon Factory" playlist that "mannduke" mentioned, but thanks anyway!

Incidentally, I kinda despise how the music editing on that one seems like they just slapped the score for "Parrotville Fire Department" (with one exception) over it with no correlation to what's going on on-screen and called it a day. And who even uses a kissing sound for a curtain falling down? LOL

The prints of "On the Links" and "Vaudeville" are noteworthy to me as I've never seen the specific "Guaranteed Pictures" introductory card seen on those Stuart prints before. All the others I've seen up 'til this point either have "GUARANTEED PICTURES CO INC." in all caps, or "stuart productions inc." in all-lowercase.
kazblox
2021-01-22T03:25:54Z

P.S.: "Venus and the Cat" seems to be missing from your collection? The Canada 150 Film Department seems to have a 16mm sound element stored in their archives (yet another retitle as usual):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFHf6wB0q8k 
Tommy Stathes
2021-01-22T05:04:50Z

P.S.: "Venus and the Cat" seems to be missing from your collection list? Canada 150 seems to have a 16mm sound element preserved (yet another retitle as usual):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFHf6wB0q8k 

Indeed, that's one I don't have, so I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!
Side note: always be careful when using certain terminology. "Preserved" in film lingo means to make a new high quality preservation film negative (and possibly prints) of a particular film, either in 16mm or 35mm. What this YouTuber is presenting is only a raw transfer of an archival print, and not a restoration or a preservation.
kazblox
2021-01-22T17:25:16Z

Side note: always be careful when using certain terminology. "Preserved" in film lingo means to make a new high quality preservation film negative (and possibly prints) of a particular film, either in 16mm or 35mm. What this YouTuber is presenting is only a raw transfer of an archival print, and not a restoration or a preservation.

Thanks! Meant to the word "archived"/"stored" here, not "preserved." My lingo is a bit rusty...
mannduke
2021-01-24T02:50:29Z
Originally Posted by: OutOfOdor 

"In Vaudeville" is one that I've already found in the "Cartoon Factory" playlist that "mannduke" mentioned, but thanks anyway!

Quick note that the "Cartoon Factory" playlist was made by me (check my channel)
OutOfOdor
2021-01-25T02:50:58Z
Originally Posted by: mannduke 

Originally Posted by: OutOfOdor 

"In Vaudeville" is one that I've already found in the "Cartoon Factory" playlist that "mannduke" mentioned, but thanks anyway!

Quick note that the "Cartoon Factory" playlist was made by me (check my channel)

Oh, really? That's cool.