tashlinfan44
2021-01-11T19:38:22Z
Thanks to fellow IADer Derek S., it has been brought to my attention that a good chunk of the Woody Woodpecker cartoons are up on this YouTube channel in HD, rescanned and restored. They're all in Arabic but who cares? Lantz cartoons in HD! Go nuts!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCne3lo_nGGA0LTiMP9SBHIQ
PopKorn Kat
2021-01-11T19:53:40Z
It's also been pointed out that new sound effects have been added to these dubs. The sound mixing is leagues above North Hampton Partners' Cartoon Crazys efforts, but still...why? Hoping these sound effects won't be added to any restorations posted on the English Woody Woodpecker YouTube channel.

EDIT: I've been pointed to more uploads from the Saudi Arabia channel and...I'm not digging these colors, sorry to say. From what I've seen, the new transfers lean way too much on the red side. It reeks that pretty much every release of these cartoons has a snafu or two involved.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-11T22:09:06Z
I checked it out and made a list, here's what in HD as of now:
Woody Woodpecker (1941)
The Screwdriver (1941)
Pantry Panic (1941)
The Hollywood Matador (1942)
Ace in the Hole (1942)
The Loan Stranger (1942)
The Screwball (1943)
The Barber of Seville (1944)
The Beach Nut (1944)
Ski for two (1944)
Chew Chew Baby (1945)
Woody Dines Out (1945)
The Loose Nut (1945)
The Reckless Driver (1946)
Fair Weather Fiends (1946)
Woody the Giant Killer (1947)
Wet Blanket Policy (1948)
Wild and Woody (1948)
The Woody Woodpecker Polka (1951)
Born to Peck (1952)
Termites from Mars (1952)
Under the Counter Spy (1954)
Niagara Fools (1956)
The Bird who came to Dinner (1961)

Tell me if I missed any if I did
nickramer
2021-01-12T04:41:41Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

It's also been pointed out that new sound effects have been added to these dubs. The sound mixing is leagues above North Hampton Partners' Cartoon Crazys efforts, but still...why? Hoping these sound effects won't be added to any restorations posted on the English Woody Woodpecker YouTube channel.

Isn't it usual of foreign dubs to have added sound effects? I swore I heard some from international Looney Tunes with that effect from a long time ago on the web. Although, I might be misremembering.
Mesterius
2021-01-13T00:48:05Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Isn't it usual of foreign dubs to have added sound effects? I swore I heard some from international Looney Tunes with that effect from a long time ago on the web. Although, I might be misremembering.

No, it's not usual. Dubs are produced using so-called Music & Effects tracks -- and in most cases, those tracks are identical to the original audio versions. There can be exceptions, but they're rare.
Leviathan
2021-01-13T01:29:09Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

No, it's not usual. Dubs are produced using so-called Music & Effects tracks -- and in most cases, those tracks are identical to the original audio versions. There can be exceptions, but they're rare.

Do music-and-effects tracks even exist for the Lantz cartoons? particularly the earlier ones?
Mesterius
2021-01-13T02:14:37Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Do music-and-effects tracks even exist for the Lantz cartoons? particularly the earlier ones?

I would think so. The Woody cartoons have come out on DVD in dubbed versions here in Norway, including the 40s cartoons. I haven't watched the dubs myself, but I'd find it strange if they had gone in and added SFX.

Personally, I have also grown up with a number of classic Disney shorts from the 1930s in later dubbed versions. I have never noticed any sound differences between the dubs and the original English tracks, save of course for the voices. I think studios preserved Music and Effects tracks for their films from pretty early on (some countries/markets probably wanted dubs even back in the infancy of sound film).
Tsivc99
2021-02-19T08:08:16Z
I think they've been sitting on these for a while. That awful CGI/live action Woody movie had that same transfer of "Niagara Fools" tacked onto the very tail end of it after the credits. Another cartoon not seen on the channel "Monster of Ceremonies" was included on a Woody and Friends Halloween DVD some years back newly restored. This is the best I've ever seen these cartoons look though. So hopefully they'll release more in the future on the channel, or perhaps the English channel.
Bradskey
2021-02-27T04:29:45Z
These look great. If it weren't for the burned-in Arabic subtitles I might bother muxing the English audio tracks back in. Hopefully they show up on the English language channel. Although these same cartoons have shown up there in zoomed and cropped SD, so not getting my hopes up.