Question about a few "Out of the Inkwell" shorts - Forum.
OutOfOdor
2020-12-31T00:39:32Z
There are a few "Out of the Inkwell" shorts I own on Ray Pointer's set that I've been wonderin' about lately. The fact that these are the only copies available to the public of these specific shorts (albeit with Ray's usual "improvements") makes me intrigued as to if there are other versions out there.

1. Do more complete versions of "Mother Gooseland" and "Needles the Boss" exist out there? Especially "Mother Gooseland", as I and a few Discord acquaintances have been wondering if the punny intertitles included in Ray's versions, specifically "This should make Ko-Ko more A-PEEL-ING!" and "I like this LICKER-ISH glue!" are part of the original version, or exclusive to Ray's "enhanced" version. Intertitles like "Jock and Jill schelp up the hill!", however, must've been part of the original, you can see some of the original intertitles for a split-second in the Ray version. Similarly, I'm wondering if a copy of "Needles the Boss" exists with the original intertitles, or if the Stuart Productions version is the only version extant. If so, I wonder what the original titles said. No doubt that Ray's stupid punny dialogue wasn't in the original ("En garde, you old sew and sew!").

2. Does a more complete version of "Baffles the Bulls" exist anywhere? The version on Ray's set is really butchered.

3. I noticed a clip of Max Fleischer being re-used a couple of times in "Ko-Ko in 1999", first when he says, "What's the matter? Can't stand the competition", and again when the girls are cleaning up. Was this in the original version?
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
Tommy Stathes
2020-12-31T02:36:41Z
All of these titles exist in 16mm form here in the Cartoons On Film archive. I can't recall what's in the original versions of all of them, and some of the later titles have had intertitles excised for TV distribution, but it's safe to say that a lot of strange edits, footage removals, and false elements were introduced to some films in the various Inkwell Images releases.
Mesterius
2020-12-31T18:21:08Z
Originally Posted by: Tommy Stathes 

All of these titles exist in 16mm form here in the Cartoons On Film archive. I can't recall what's in the original versions of all of them, and some of the later titles have had intertitles excised for TV distribution, but it's safe to say that a lot of strange edits, footage removals, and false elements were introduced to some films in the various Inkwell Images releases.

Yikes. I never bought any Inkwell releases... hearing this makes me glad I didn't.
Leviathan
2021-01-01T01:44:33Z
Inkwell Images is Ray Pointer's operation, isn't it?

You would think one of the biggest Fleischer historians would care more about accurately preserving their shorts.
Mesterius
2021-01-02T13:06:06Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

Inkwell Images is Ray Pointer's operation, isn't it?

You would think one of the biggest Fleischer historians would care more about accurately preserving their shorts.

You'd think, but then you read something like this .
Zachary
2021-01-02T21:11:16Z
Incidentally...

https://cartoonresearch....eum-1930/#comment-753509 

Remember, this is the guy who tried to register  "Toby the Pup" as a trademark for "Production and distribution of videos in the field of animation"...