New! Cartoon Roots: Otto Messmer's Feline Follies (Blu-ray/DVD combo) now... - Forum.
Tommy Stathes
2020-12-25T06:37:45Z
Dear Intanibasers,

It's time to tell you about a brand new surprise release in my series of Blu-ray/DVD combos that spotlight early animation, most often silent era material. Cartoon Roots: Otto Messmer's Feline Follies presents some early works from the Pat Sullivan Studios, with master animator Otto Messmer's directorial efforts on full display. There are even a couple of those notorious Chaplin cartoons in the mix!

Package art

History's most famous cat has "kept on walking" for generations: from 1919 right down to the present day! But nobody drew him like his creator drew him—and here's your chance to meet New Jersey-born cartoon genius Otto Messmer for yourself! From Messmer's rare "Charley" Chaplin cartoons to the seminal FELINE FOLLIES (1919) and even some wild, inspired cat tales all-new to home video, we're bringing you a fully-remastered HD anthology worth its weight in catnip!

Cartoons included in this collection (all directed by Otto Messmer for the Pat Sullivan Studio):

CHESTNUTS (c. 1916)
CHARLEY AT THE BEACH (1919)
CHARLEY AT THE CIRCUS (1919)
FELINE FOLLIES (1919)
FELIX MAKES GOOD (1922)
FELIX IN LOVE (1922)
FELIX WAKES UP (1922)
FELIX MINDS THE KID (1922)
FELIX TURNS THE TIDE (1922)
FELIX LENDS A HAND (1922)
FELIX FIFTY-FIFTY (1922)
FELIX WINS OUT (1923)
FELIX TRIES FOR TREASURE (1923)
FELIX REVOLTS (1923)
FELIX STRIKES IT RICH (1923)

Extras! Booklet, archival galleries, and new music by Charlie Judkins.

Have a look at the trailer here:

It even shocks *me* how clean and sharp some of these films look. While they've been given the usual basic Cartoons On Film-style stabilization and clean-up, the crispness of many of the films here is a result of starting largely with 16mm Kodascope Libraries prints that were made way back in the 1920s. These very old rental library prints were reduced directly from 35mm negatives, and not long at all after the films were originally produced. I've been trying my best to track down and obtain these kinds of prints for the past 15 years, and the search always continues for more of them.

While some of the offerings here are very rare items, a few titles in this selection have definitely circulated much over the past few decades. The catch is that they've usually only been seen by the masses in murky dupes of dupes. Not anymore.

The set is now available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R5XNPGL . Check it out, and thanks everyone! Stay tuned for even more news about another future Cartoon Roots project as well, very soon...

PopKorn Kat
2020-12-25T08:05:06Z
You had me at "Felix", Tommy! Loved your previous Cartoon Roots releases and I have high hopes for this one as well...
Tommy Stathes
2020-12-25T08:16:09Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

You had me at "Felix", Tommy! Loved your previous Cartoon Roots releases and I have high hopes for this one as well...

Many thanks!
eutychus
2020-12-25T12:02:28Z
To anyone who might be new to these releases, I cannot recommend them highly enough! Tommy puts a lot of love, care, knowledge and experience into all of these releases and each one is a must-have for any serious collection of classic animation!
Tommy Stathes
2020-12-25T18:20:59Z
Originally Posted by: eutychus 

To anyone who might be new to these releases, I cannot recommend them highly enough! Tommy puts a lot of love, care, knowledge and experience into all of these releases and each one is a must-have for any serious collection of classic animation!

I appreciate that immensely 😊
Zachary
2020-12-27T06:59:37Z
Hey Tommy:

Always good to see you drop by. Definitely plan on ordering this in the near future; I have been hesitating on ordering things until the USPS has unclogged a bit. Those early pre-Felix Sullivan Studio cartoons are certainly interesting; I have seen Messmer's The Love Affair of Ima Knut (1917) on Steve's "Cartoon Cornered" special disc (from a beat-up but crisp 35mm nitrate print), and the stylistic relationship with early Felix is noticeable. Also interesting that "Otz" Messmer apparently actually received credit on some of those (and other artists on others)...
Bradskey
2020-12-27T17:07:03Z
Looks great! Ordered.

Nice trailer BTW.
Tommy Stathes
2020-12-27T20:22:11Z
Thanks, both of you!
Jonathan Wilson
2020-12-28T00:09:58Z
Ordered too, plus the previous releases that I never got. Going to be busy viewing next month.
PopKorn Kat
2021-01-05T10:42:37Z
I just got this set yesterday, and spent most of the afternoon watching it. It's a darn well-put-together set! There's a few films here that I've never seen before, so that was a nice touch. The extras were also intriguing! I highly recommend it!
Tommy Stathes
2021-01-05T17:04:33Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

I just got this set yesterday, and spent most of the afternoon watching it. It's a darn well-put-together set! There's a few films here that I've never seen before, so that was a nice touch. The extras were also intriguing! I highly recommend it!

So glad to hear this!
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-05T23:06:41Z
Planning soon to buy most of your sets (including this one!) and fund your kickstarter!