OutOfOdor
2020-12-21T18:54:40Z
Hey, there! What I've compiled here is a partial list of Terry Aesop Fables that ended up as part of the Stuart/Guaranteed package back in 1950 or thereabouts. These releases are of particular fascination to me because of the Winston Sharples stock music utilized in them, so I guess it was inevitable I try and make a partial list of these. I know these are part of that package, either because I've seen their title cards on BCDB, or because I've seen videos of them on YT. If anyone's got any others to add, let me know. (Incidentally, I'm interested in copies of the ones in this list that currently aren't on YT or some other video site, just since I'm curious as to what music they used.)
-All Star Cast (1924)
-Alley Cat (1923)
-Amateur Night at the Ark (1923)
-Animal Fair (1924)
-Baby Show (1928)
-Barnyard Artists (1928)
-Barnyard Politics (1928)
-Ball Park (1929)
-Big Hearted Fish (1927)
-Circus (1923)
-English Channel Swim (1926)
-The Farmer and His Cat (1922)
-Gold Push (1926) (labelled “Gold Rush”)
-Home Talent (1924)
-Hunting in 1950 (1926)
-In Vaudeville (1926)
-Knight Out (1926)
-Land Boom (1926)
-Lindy’s Cat (1927)
-Little Parade (1926)
-Marathon Dancers (1923)
-On the Links (1928)
-One Man Dog (1927)
-Over the Plate (1925)
-Pests (1927)
-Phoney Express (1926)
-School Days (1926)
-Tit for Tat (1927)
-Transatlantic Flight (1925)
-Trip to the Pole (1924)
-Ugly Duckling (1925)

A tip of the hat goes to Tommy Stathes for his additions.
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
Tommy Stathes
2020-12-25T20:37:23Z
Off the top of my head:

The Farmer and His Cat (1922)
Home Talent (1924)
Animal Fair (1924)
All Star Cast (1924)
Trip to the Pole (1924)
Transatlantic Flight (1925)
Over the Plate (1925)
Big Hearted Fish (1926)
English Channel Swim (1926)
In Vaudeville (1926)
Ugly Duckling (1926)
Phoney Express (1926)
School Days (1926)
Baby Show (1927)
Tit For Tat (1927)
On the Links (1928)

OutOfOdor
2020-12-26T21:58:26Z
Thanks so much, Tommy!
"Alley Cat" is one I'd personally love to see one of these days, incidentally. Sounds really weird from what I've heard about it.
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
Tommy Stathes
2020-12-27T01:57:13Z
Originally Posted by: OutOfOdor 

Thanks so much, Tommy!
"Alley Cat" is one I'd personally love to see one of these days, incidentally. Sounds really weird from what I've heard about it.

My pleasure...and I love that one! I do think I plan to include it in a new Farmer Al collection. Too many to choose from here, but that one has always stuck out to me.
OutOfOdor
2020-12-27T15:34:01Z
That would be swell.

A few things I'm wondering about these prints, incidentally:
1. I notice the copyright bylines vary wildly on these. Some of them just say "All Rights Reserved", others have the original copyright info for the short, along with a 1955 copyright for the Stuart version. I'm guessing the ones with just "All Rights Reserved" came first, and are from about 1950, although I don't know if they just released a second batch of these in 1955 or whatever.

2. Would it be right to say that the Ko-Kos were done after the Aesops were finished? I notice those have some of the same soundtracks as some of the Aesops ("Ugly Duckling's" soundtrack of Sharples cues was one of the ones that was re-used in the Ko-Kos IIRC, same with part of the one edited for "Hunting in 1950"), but they just re-used the same tracks over and over. Were there just a bunch of pre-edited compilations Guaranteed used, incidentally? I know I've heard one specific "Rag Dog" track play after a "Merry Kittens" track in both "Ugly Duckling" and "One Man Dog".
Tommy Stathes
2020-12-27T20:24:44Z
It's hard to say. I'm sure Stuart/Guaranteed custom edited some of these tracks together, and sometimes you'll hear the tracks change depending on the action in the cartoon. They may very well have simply reused some of their own recuts for multiple cartoons.
OutOfOdor
2021-01-16T20:01:16Z
Hate to "bump", but while I'm thinking about it - I think the Guaranteed/Stuart operation might have used multiple "stock" libraries in their TV prints: the Sharples stuff, stuff that may or may not be Sharples (the track that opens the Cinepix print of "Billy Goat's Whiskers" and the jazzy track at 3:11 in that same print come to mind), another library that had the longer "neutrals" used in quite a bit of Stuart Aesops (like in the opening of "Barnyard Artists" and throughout "Land Boom" and much of "Little Parade"), and I think the English Boosey and Hawkes library, now owned by Cavendish Music - I distinctly remember the Guaranteed versions of "Transatlantic Flight" and "Gold Push" on some film collector's YT channel, and the latter had a track the Content ID bot identified as being called "Galloping Hooves", composed by Richard Howgill, on one of Cavendish's old albums.

The library with the "neutrals" reminds me, by way of the sound of the orchestra, of Jack Shaindlin's stuff. I have a few "neutral" stuff in my archives that have a similar feel, but I don't think any of the cues I have were ever used by Stuart. There are a few Cinemusic albums with neutral and "children" tracks that might have at least one of these tracks, but we may never know.
OutOfOdor
2021-01-24T00:09:25Z
Originally Posted by: Tommy Stathes 

Thanks so much, Tommy!

My pleasure...and I love that one! I do think I plan to include it in a new Farmer Al collection. Too many to choose from here, but that one has always stuck out to me.

Nothing to do with new additions to the list - but I finally saw "Alley Cat" as part of a Lobster Films "Cartoon Factory" episode. The nightmare sequence where Farmer Al is persecuted by the Kitty KKK for his actions earlier is wonderful. Probably inadvertent, but gotta love how there's happy comedic stock music during the Farmer's nightmare, heh.

(I actually have that very track in my collection, so DM me if you're interested. Arrangement on my copy is subtly different, but it's identifiable enough that it's that same composition.)
mannduke
2021-02-01T10:43:42Z
Let's see if any of you can tell what's wrong with this picture.

https://drive.google.com...KKBxac/view?usp=drivesdk 
OutOfOdor
2021-02-01T14:02:39Z
Originally Posted by: mannduke 

The cartoon's title is "Hunting in 1950" when it was actually probably called "Hunting in 1926"? originally?
Tommy Stathes
2021-02-01T20:11:48Z

The cartoon's title is "Hunting in 1950" when it was actually probably called "Hunting in 1926"? originally?

Maybe it's the "re-uploaded" bit in the title. Was it pirated from elsewhere?
OutOfOdor
2021-02-01T20:49:42Z

To my knowledge, this is from a Thunderbean set called "Classics from the Van-Beuren Studio".

I know the mysterious and unscrupulous "Not an Animation Historian" account uploaded it to their channel, but it's hidden now. The person who made this upload must have downloaded the NAAH upload shortly before it got removed.
Tommy Stathes
2021-02-01T22:12:59Z

To my knowledge, this is from a Thunderbean set called "Classics from the Van-Beuren Studio".

I know the mysterious and unscrupulous "Not an Animation Historian" account uploaded it to their channel, but it's hidden now. The person who made this upload must have downloaded the NAAH upload shortly before it got removed.

That sounds about right. I really had to take NAAH to task for uploading Steve's and my restorations without any permission, and so it seems most of the pirated Cartoons On Film and Thunderbean material has now been deleted or made private after we discussed the problem and he began to understand the implications of what he was doing. If this is a copy of NAAH's unauthorized upload, then it is also technically an affront to Thunderbean.
mannduke
2021-02-02T02:18:33Z

Correct! It’s the fact that Diaz Bros. uploaded the unlisted video and called it a *reupload*. Very strange, isn’t it?
PopKorn Kat
2021-02-02T03:38:51Z
Honestly, I feel mannduke's guessing game may have been a wee bit too obscure. The last I heard about the NAAH drama was the owner of the channel taking down the pirated Thunderbean and Cartoons On Film releases, as Tommy Jose mentioned. People who are unfamiliar with NAAH and the reuploader will have no idea what you were referring to.
Tommy Stathes
2021-02-02T05:01:44Z

Correct! It’s the fact that Diaz Bros. uploaded the unlisted video and called it a *reupload*. Very strange, isn’t it?

I'm not sure what's strange about it, other than the fact that it is an unauthorized upload. Who runs that YouTube channel?
mannduke
2021-02-02T05:29:42Z

I'm not sure what's strange about it, other than the fact that it is an unauthorized upload. Who runs that YouTube channel?

Diaz Bros.  runs the channel
Tommy Stathes
2021-02-02T05:41:51Z

We know that the name of the channel is "Diaz Bros.," but I am wondering if anyone has a name for the individual person who runs that account.
Diaz Bros.  runs the channel

PopKorn Kat
2021-02-02T06:24:36Z
...and what is so special about a random person reuploading another person's rip from a Thunderbean Blu-Ray?

(In any case, such discussions are getting off-track from the thread topic, so let's veer back into familiar Fable territory, shall we?)
mannduke
2021-02-02T08:36:55Z

We know that the name of the channel is "Diaz Bros.," but I am wondering if anyone has a name for the individual person who runs that account.

Okay, okay, okay! The user who runs the Diaz Bros. channel is Jay Diaz (most of his real life videos feature his brother Matthew).