Tex Avery Volume 2 announced!!!!- Page 7 - Forum.
Gilition
2021-01-07T18:27:24Z
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski 

The Photoshop titles need to stop though. It's a miscommunication/mandate that is literally just designed to piss everyone off when the actual cartoons often look stunning.

At least with the Avery set, it's more manageable and could easily be fixed with a simple crop. It's not like the Warner cartoons where they fuck the timing, letters, etc.
Gilition
2021-01-07T18:37:21Z
Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 

Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

We’re veering towards the topic of general WB restorations, as opposed to this set specifically. There’s another thread if you want to talk about WB restorations specifically.

Sorry ‘bout that. Getting back on topic...

I wonder why some of the weaker elements on cartoons were used as opposed to the elements that were used to make broadcast masters at the end of the century. I know it’s a stretch to assume these elements are still existing and available, but given the fact that a print that was used to sell to collectors in the 1980s is still around (and used for a cartoon on the set), I think it is safe to say that they would have some of those original elements used to make broadcast masters which would be, in the end, superior to what we see on this set.

They clearly seem to exist. The Turner one's were scanned in mid-90's around the time when the laserdisc released (which that mostly uses better transfers than turner) and judging by how cartoons like Dumb Hounded and Bad Luck Blacky look, it's clear those still exist. It's probably a case of bad color correction. Some of the post 1952 cartoons (the ones that supposedly were not burned down) still look worse compared to Turner like Homesteader Droopy and The Flea Circus.
Mesterius
2021-01-07T21:43:44Z
Originally Posted by: Gilition 

It's probably a case of bad color correction. Some of the post 1952 cartoons (the ones that supposedly were not burned down) still look worse compared to Turner like Homesteader Droopy and The Flea Circus.

I would say that probably comes from the auto cleanup software which flattens the color palette that others have mentioned here before. Sad to hear those titles look bad, since none of the cartoons on Avery Volume 1 were restored that way.
tashlinfan44
2021-01-07T21:52:56Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

It's probably a case of bad color correction. Some of the post 1952 cartoons (the ones that supposedly were not burned down) still look worse compared to Turner like Homesteader Droopy and The Flea Circus.

I would say that probably comes from the auto cleanup software which flattens the color palette that others have mentioned here before. Sad to hear those titles look bad, since none of the cartoons on Avery Volume 1 were restored that way.

What’s funny is – and forgive me if this was brought up before, I’m not too sure – none of the Looney Tunes that were restored for HBO Max have that flattened color palette. Now something is definitely off. Are these the same two teams working on restoring these cartoons? I don’t think so. Because the majority (if not, all) of the Looney Tunes on HBO Max, despite their Photoshopped titles/lack of grain, have gorgeous and eyepopping colors, nothing like some of the cartoons on this Blu-ray have. So what’s up?
Mesterius
2021-01-07T22:00:34Z

What’s funny is – and forgive me if this was brought up before, I’m not too sure – none of the Looney Tunes that were restored for HBO Max have that flattened color palette. Now something is definitely off. Are these the same two teams working on restoring these cartoons? I don’t think so. Because the majority (if not, all) of the Looney Tunes on HBO Max, despite their Photoshopped titles/lack of grain, have gorgeous and eyepopping colors, nothing like some of the cartoons on this Blu-ray have. So what’s up?

That's what I would like to know too. The colors on the restored Looney Tunes do indeed look much better. Though, according to MTGM, more than just MGM remasters have been affected by this color flattening over the years:

Originally Posted by: MTGM 

One of the many annoyments regarding how people react to the criticism directed at Avery Vol. 2 is how they say, "But of course the colors don't always look good, the original nitrates were lost in a fire!" That has NOTHING to do with why the colors look bad in a number of cartoons on the new Tex Avery set. Rather, it has everything to do with Warner doing a sloppy job and not seeking out the best existing prints before restoring.

That argument especially falls apart once you remember that these similar color issues affected several cartoons on the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, the Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles Collection, Tom and Jerry: The Gene Deitch Collection, and the Green Eggs and Ham and Other Stories Blu-ray. Tex 2 is likely another instance of similar color-flattening practices being employed (evidenced by a lot of the old Turner transfers having better color accuracy than these recent restorations).

I actually don't remember any of the LTPM or Mouse Chronicles restorations looking off color-wise, but I do recall the Gene Deitch T&Js looking rather dark.
nickramer
2021-01-08T04:31:58Z
A little late to mentioned this, but here's the Blu-Ray.com Review: https://www.blu-ray.com/...2-Blu-ray/273597/#Review 
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-08T12:48:00Z

I think this new team has potential, this just need to be guided better, and told NOT to use photoshopped titles. The pure look of the shorts is very good
Mesterius
2021-01-08T13:31:05Z
Originally Posted by: S. C. MacPeter 

I think this new team has potential, this just need to be guided better, and told NOT to use photoshopped titles. The pure look of the shorts is very good

It's just silly when you already have a team with a much better track record. Remember, Jerry said on Stu's Show that they sent the HBO Max restorations back to that team several times -- and still, what's on the set was the best they could do. Hire the old team back instead.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-08T17:26:11Z
Only 2 titles had Photoshopped titles far as I remember from my watch. It was probably worse when Jerry first got it in June
Mesterius
2021-01-08T17:48:43Z

Only 2 titles had Photoshopped titles far as I remember from my watch. It was probably worse when Jerry first got it in June

...uh, I think 3. But regardless, photoshopped titles are far from the only problem with Volume 2. Haven't you been reading this thread?
tashlinfan44
2021-01-08T19:08:42Z

...uh, I think 3. But regardless, photoshopped titles are far from the only problem with Volume 2. Haven't you been reading this thread?

Photoshopped titles are one thing, but fake fades are another, which this set is littered with. Surprised no one's mentioned these yet. The cartoons on this set that have fake fades, but NOT Photoshopped titles, are:

Car of Tomorrow
Field and Scream
First Bad Man

This isn't as bad as some other things on this set (DNR, anyone?) but still mildly irritating.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-09T01:56:12Z

Is it too bad that I've lost care for those reasons? I only pointed out the photoshopped titles because people made it sound more common then from my viewing
Mesterius
2021-01-09T13:55:48Z

Is it too bad that I've lost care for those reasons? I only pointed out the photoshopped titles because people made it sound more common then from my viewing

Up to you whether it's 'too bad', but you certainly have a very different viewpoint on this than many others in this thread. From my perspective, the recreated titles are the LEAST of this set's problems. The DVNR and the bad-looking color on several of the cartoons are much worse issues. Not to mention the sound problems.
Leviathan
2021-01-11T18:52:14Z
So, this was posted to the WAC's Facebook page.

UserPostedImage

So, it looks like, in spite of EVERYTHING, Volume 2 sold well enough for a Volume 3.
PopKorn Kat
2021-01-11T19:39:34Z
I doubt it, but I'm hoping they got the original crew back for a Volume 3. That, or I'm hoping it's in the really early planning stages where they're just jotting down ideas.
tashlinfan44
2021-01-11T19:49:49Z

early planning stages where they're just jotting down ideas.

I bet that's where they are. After all, we were told that they weren't going to release any more until the old standards could be met again.
Leviathan
2021-01-11T20:16:13Z
The point of bringing it up is that we're not at the point we were after Porky 101. Volume 2 sold well enough that Volume 3 is on the table.
Gilition
2021-01-11T21:07:49Z
Even if Volume 2 didn't sell well, we would still get another volume. Volume 1 is currently the 2nd best selling WA release ever so I think they would still do volume 3
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-11T22:13:25Z
Jerry Beck posted this photo on Facebook earlier today on the Cartoon Research group, when people were talking about the difference in the poster. The VERY clean look makes me think volume 3 will use an original Wild and Wolfy original poster[/img]nal print of Wild and Wolfy, which would make it worth buying alone. Wild and Wolfy original wanted poster
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-11T22:25:32Z

I doubt it, but I'm hoping they got the original crew back for a Volume 3. That, or I'm hoping it's in the really early planning stages where they're just jotting down ideas.

Keep in mind it wouldn't come out till after the pandemic "so previous standards could be met" but I wouldn't be surprised if WB tried pulling a fast one. Then again, I don't think they will.