Tex Avery Volume 2 announced!!!!- Page 3 - Forum.
TheJasbre202
2020-12-16T23:03:31Z
it all comes down to what Jerry has to say on Stu's Show.
Mesterius
2020-12-16T23:16:55Z
Originally Posted by: TheJasbre202 

Not really, unless he says they are actually going to do either a disc replacement program or a proper re-release of Volume 2 later. The state these cartoons are in on the released set doesn't cut it no matter what the reasons were.
nickramer
2020-12-17T03:06:12Z
Honestly, I don't think having DVNR uncut shorts is as bad as a recent volume of Barks comics being censored of dialogue all of the sudden and if I recall, a certain someone did notes for the book and hasn't said a word or protest about it being censored. But, I'm going off-topic.
Thad Komorowski
2020-12-17T04:18:48Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Honestly, I don't think having DVNR uncut shorts is as bad as a recent volume of Barks comics being censored of dialogue all of the sudden and if I recall, a certain someone did notes for the book and hasn't said a word or protest about it being censored. But, I'm going off-topic.

You are absolutely correct. I was only made aware of the censorship a couple days ago (I don't get to see proofs of the books and have no real involvement other than freelancing story notes). The latest book is a true embarrassment, and I probably won't be doing any more story notes going forward. Unfortunately, Disney called those shots and they are getting worse than ever.
Leviathan
2020-12-17T05:17:35Z
NVM.
Leviathan
2020-12-17T06:05:58Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Originally Posted by: TheJasbre202 

Not really, unless he says they are actually going to do either a disc replacement program or a proper re-release of Volume 2 later. The state these cartoons are in on the released set doesn't cut it no matter what the reasons were.

It's going to be a repeat of the Stu's Show after Porky 101 hit. A lot of downplaying of issues as "not that bad", "no one will notice", and Stu screeching obnoxiously at anyone who disagrees.

If WAC had done this to one of their horror or musical titles, EVERYONE would be singing a different tune.
Mac
  • Mac
  • Advanced Member
2020-12-17T13:02:46Z
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski 

Originally Posted by: nickramer 

You are absolutely correct. I was only made aware of the censorship a couple days ago (I don't get to see proofs of the books and have no real involvement other than freelancing story notes). The latest book is a true embarrassment, and I probably won't be doing any more story notes going forward. Unfortunately, Disney called those shots and they are getting worse than ever.

Wait... the Carl Barks books are being censored now? They've been such a great series and I'll be receiving the latest two books for Christmas. I'm gutted! What a rip-off! Anyway I'm taking this off-topic so I'll go research what was censored now and keep it to myself.

But, man, what a let down.
raginggoodfella
2020-12-17T13:35:52Z
So if I own all these cartoons on volume 2 already in various formats(vhs, taped off tv, dvds, and HBO MAX free for now) then is it worth buying this volume 2 set? And any answer that says we need to buy this volume 2 to support a volume 3 won’t sway my opinion.
Ian L.
2020-12-17T13:56:42Z
Why is DVNR still a thing in 2020? I thought we all collectively agreed that this practice shouldn't be done anymore.
Justin Delbert
2020-12-17T14:14:24Z
This kind of conversation could bring an end to classic animation from Warner Archive. Reviews can make them and they can break them just like with Porky Pig 101
raginggoodfella
2020-12-17T14:28:26Z
Originally Posted by: Justin Delbert 

This kind of conversation could bring an end to classic animation from Warner Archive. Reviews can make them and they can break them just like with Porky Pig 101

Maybe if all the Warner’s employees/freelancers/fans stop promoting or implying falsehoods how great these sets will be, then maybe there wouldn’t be harsh backlash. Or maybe they can lower the MSRP for sub-standard sets and double/triple/quadruple dips.
Thad Komorowski
2020-12-17T14:41:51Z
Originally Posted by: raginggoodfella 

So if I own all these cartoons on volume 2 already in various formats(vhs, taped off tv, dvds, and HBO MAX free for now) then is it worth buying this volume 2 set? And any answer that says we need to buy this volume 2 to support a volume 3 won’t sway my opinion.

It's worth buying for Magical Maestro (despite the Photoshopped titles) and a few others that look wonderful. The DNR is noticeable but not to the degree of the Droopy DVD or the French monstrosity, save for Droopy's Double Trouble. So yes, I'd get it for now, but cripes, what a letdown after so many homeruns.
Thad Komorowski
2020-12-17T16:08:38Z
Originally Posted by: Mac 

Wait... the Carl Barks books are being censored now? They've been such a great series and I'll be receiving the latest two books for Christmas. I'm gutted! What a rip-off! Anyway I'm taking this off-topic so I'll go research what was censored now and keep it to myself.

OT:
Yeah, Disney has been very stern lately, and the Barks censorship is the limit. The Italian readership is up in arms about the guns getting censored regularly in the modern stories now. It was pretty baffling to write story notes that contextualize Native American caricatures only to see the dialect censored anyway. ("Black Wednesday", one of the most notorious stories, actually ran uncensored here.) The "violent" to "angry" change in Donald's dialogue about his neighbor in the "Good Deeds" remake is on the level of that old bag who complained to Carl about how often Donald said "shut up". Fantagraphics still does great work with the Disney Masters series thanks to David Gerstein being at the wheel, at least.
FoxInAFix
2020-12-17T16:45:28Z
I take these cartoons quite seriously, and it's simple for me. These Avery cartoons are golden, they look better than ever, in High Definition. If we buy this, there will be money to make more sets. Look, nothing is perfect and I'm sure I will enjoy this set immensely. So definately buying it. Especially since it's honestly a bargain. I can't believe anyone wanting to cancel this. Yes, I do understand the nitpicks and it's unfortunate, but in my opinion those nitpicks are very very overexaggerated. If it really throws you off, I'm sincerelly sorry you can't enjoy this set.
Mac
  • Mac
  • Advanced Member
2020-12-17T16:53:33Z
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski 

Originally Posted by: Mac 

OT:
Yeah, Disney has been very stern lately, and the Barks censorship is the limit. The Italian readership is up in arms about the guns getting censored regularly in the modern stories now. It was pretty baffling to write story notes that contextualize Native American caricatures only to see the dialect censored anyway. ("Black Wednesday", one of the most notorious stories, actually ran uncensored here.) The "violent" to "angry" change in Donald's dialogue about his neighbor in the "Good Deeds" remake is on the level of that old bag who complained to Carl about how often Donald said "shut up". Fantagraphics still does great work with the Disney Masters series thanks to David Gerstein being at the wheel, at least.

Cheers, Thad. Thanks for the info and I 100% with everything you say here.

I have a hard time supporting releases with such stark changes in direction when it comes to censorship or quality. I'll be checking reviews before buying more books or blu-rays of classic cartoons.
nickramer
2020-12-17T20:44:52Z
Originally Posted by: Ian L. 

Why is DVNR still a thing in 2020? I thought we all collectively agreed that this practice shouldn't be done anymore.

I think some people didn't get the memo.
PopKorn Kat
2020-12-18T01:59:29Z
My disc arrived today.

Unfortunately, no caps for the time being because I need to upgrade the software my Mac uses to play Blu-Rays. Right now I'm viewing it on a flatscreen TV away from the computer, so there's probably DVNR and restoration issues I haven't noticed. The Photoshopped titles of "Magical Maestro", however, I did notice. I'd ask why they approved it, but then again...

Stuff like this is a conundrum for me. I’ve said it two years prior in the “Celebrating Mickey” thread, and I still stand by it to this day: I want to see these cartoons restored, but I don’t want to send the message that subpar, rushed releases like this are acceptable. AT&T (WarnerMedia’s parent company) has been in debt for a while, which is why they’re selling off stuff like Crunchyroll, so giving restorations to a presumably cheaper team probably made sense on a business level. Sadly, it did not work out.
Mesterius
2020-12-18T04:57:50Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

My disc arrived today.

Unfortunately, no caps for the time being because I need to upgrade the software my Mac uses to play Blu-Rays. Right now I'm viewing it on a flatscreen TV away from the computer, so there's probably DVNR and restoration issues I haven't noticed. The Photoshopped titles of "Magical Maestro", however, I did notice. I'd ask why they approved it, but then again...

Stuff like this is a conundrum for me. I’ve said it two years prior in the “Celebrating Mickey” thread, and I still stand by it to this day: I want to see these cartoons restored, but I don’t want to send the message that subpar, rushed releases like this are acceptable. AT&T (WarnerMedia’s parent company) has been in debt for a while, which is why they’re selling off stuff like Crunchyroll, so giving restorations to a presumably cheaper team probably made sense on a business level. Sadly, it did not work out.

It really didn't. Considering that Tex Avery Screwball Classics Volume 1 was restored properly and became a huge sales success, the very least we should be able to expect is for follow-up sets to get the same level of care. Instead, this is what we get for supporting that much better first set.
fulano7
2020-12-19T23:09:48Z
Originally Posted by: Justin Delbert 

I wanted the major distributors to simply stop releasing pre-1990 stuff AND license everything to vintage film companies.

The major distributors may be better suited than vintage companies to maintain and preserve original elements in large archives, because of operational costs. But they are grossly incapable of handling general public releases of such stuff. Technically and politically incapable. Not to mention the lack of interest.

They're done. Warner, Disney, Paramount etc. from the 1940s have NOTHING to do with present-day corporations. Today's companies should acknowledge it and treat their archive as a piece of History of public interest, handling it for somebody else to release.
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
HeySteve
2020-12-19T23:24:44Z
I received my copy today. Despite its flaws, I thought this set was well worth the purchase.