nickramer
2020-12-09T03:56:55Z
I don't think I have yet. Let's hope the releases get here before Christmas.
Ian L.
2020-12-09T14:07:14Z
Nothing for me yet either.
HeySteve
2020-12-13T00:35:20Z
Just received an email from WB Shop that my order is getting ready to be shipped.

It looks like the actual release date really is 12/15.
Mesterius
2020-12-16T02:37:34Z
Originally Posted by: Zachary 

Sigh...

https://forum.blu-ray.co...?p=18426821#post18426821 

Oh, GREAT! "DVNR is on most of the cartoons" according to Thad -- and some of the screenshots he shared look truly horrific:

UserPostedImage

I doubt I'll be buying this unless Warner Archive does a complete 180 and corrects these utterly embarrassing mistakes. Who woulda thought a year ago that HBO Max would lead to the second volume of this promising Blu-ray series being a complete mess?

Thanks for absolutely nothing, Warner.
Leviathan
2020-12-16T03:00:04Z
Christ almighty.

I'm horrified that the Warner Archive thought this was presentable. It's worse than the Bugs set done by the supposedly less careful WBHE.
Jason Todd
2020-12-16T08:02:24Z
I, sadly, agree. I mean, A for effort, Warner Archive, but...c’moooooooon. You’re better than that. 😐

I’ll pick this up, anyway, because I want my Tex Avery collection...but, I would like to see these glaring issues fixed.
Mac
  • Mac
  • Advanced Member
2020-12-16T08:47:22Z
What a disappointment. I wish they hadn't rushed this out. I'd rather wait a year or so longer for a set I'd actually buy (and I'm sure I'm not the only one).
Frustrating!
Mesterius
2020-12-16T10:39:54Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

I, sadly, agree. I mean, A for effort, Warner Archive, but...c’moooooooon. You’re better than that. 😐

I’ll pick this up, anyway, because I want my Tex Avery collection...but, I would like to see these glaring issues fixed.

A for effort? I'm sorry, but... WHAT effort?
Cool_Cat
2020-12-16T16:32:49Z
WB outsourced the restoration works on these shorts just to get quick HD masters for HBO Max and broadcasts. They've done that for a good part of their cartoon library which didn't have an HD master during the end of this year.

Obviously these are very sub par versions with no care for people who expect to see an accurate presentation of these shorts. That's why they took bad decisions like recreating the titles, recycling old master audio, and in some just applying DNR and a lut filter and call it a day.

These should not have been on a Warner Archive release.
Leviathan
2020-12-16T17:12:44Z
I suspect Jerry's line on Stu's Show will be "most people won't notice" or "mistakes were made" like on Porky 101. I don't think he cares.
PopKorn Kat
2020-12-16T20:03:33Z
A friend e-mailed Jerry Beck regarding this set, and according to Mr. Beck, the team who worked on the cartoons for HBO Max was a different team than the one who normally restores the films, as the old team was let go during the pandemic. This explains the severe drop in quality. WA will not put out a third Tex set unless they can use the old crew. Beck personally did not spot any DVNR, but he admitted that he did not inspect the cartoons frame-by-frame.

(Said friend, after he got the okay from Jerry, permitted me to share this info.)
Kristjan
2020-12-16T20:11:19Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

I suspect Jerry's line on Stu's Show will be "most people won't notice" or "mistakes were made" like on Porky 101. I don't think he cares.

Will be intresting to hear what Jerry has to say, on Stu Show next week regarding those issues on the Tex vol 2 set, and the issues on the 80th Bugs set next week, but I sometimes get the feeling that Jerry knows more whats happening at Warner Home video than he cares to admit.
Mesterius
2020-12-16T20:13:26Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

A friend e-mailed Jerry Beck regarding this set, and according to Mr. Beck, the team who worked on the cartoons for HBO Max was a different team than the one who normally restores the films, as the old team was let go during the pandemic. This explains the severe drop in quality. WA will not put out a third Tex set unless they can use the old crew. Beck personally did not spot any DVNR, but he admitted that he did not inspect the cartoons frame-by-frame.

So why did they put out THIS Tex set without the old crew then? It's hard not to think 'double standards' here. Especially when Jerry said earlier this year that the HBO Max remasters of the Avery cartoons were NOT up to WAC's standards, and that they would have to be redone. That clearly didn't happen.

Just saying it won't happen again on a potential third set isn't good enough. The great cartoons on this set need a proper, un-mangled, high-quality release.
Kristjan
2020-12-16T20:30:08Z

(Said friend, after he got the okay from Jerry, permitted me to share this info.)

Then it doesn't sound like much of big deal actually, if we are being honest. Specially if Jerry did not spot any DVNR by viewing the set in motion, i'm personally always unsure how accurate its to inspect cartoons frame by frame for these issues as nobody watch cartoons that way. You could probably inspect every every blu-ray/DVD relese so fair on animation or Live-action and by frame by frame analyst you could probably find a fault in every blu-ray/DVD release if you looked hard enough. Other than that its unfortunate if the original crew had to lose their jobs because of the pandemic. But the studio executives are always more than happy to screw over the folks on the floor to preserve the bottom line so its worth mentioning but Warner is also in the hot water for moving every major film of 2020 and 2021 release to HBO MAX (but thats another story).
Mesterius
2020-12-16T20:38:53Z
Originally Posted by: Kristjan 

Then it doesn't sound like much of big deal actually, if we are being honest. But its unfortunete if the original crew had to lose their jobs over the pandemic.

...what are you talking about? How is it not a big deal anymore? The majority of 21 Tex Avery cartoons are butchered on what was to be their first high-quality release on Blu-ray.
Thad Komorowski
2020-12-16T20:50:00Z

Then it doesn't sound like much of big deal actually, if we are being honest. Specially if Jerry did not spot any DVNR by viewing the set in motion, i'm personally always unsure how accurate its to inspect cartoons frame by frame for these issues as nobody watch cartoons that way. You could probably inspect every every blu-ray/DVD relese so fair on animation or Live-action and by frame by frame analyst you could probably find a fault in every blu-ray/DVD release if you looked hard enough. Other than that its unfortunate if the original crew had to lose their jobs because of the pandemic. But the studio executives are always more than happy to screw over the folks on the floor to preserve the bottom line so its worth mentioning but Warner is also in the hot water for moving every major film of 2020 and 2021 release to HBO MAX (but thats another story).

Dude, shut up.
Kristjan
2020-12-16T20:51:55Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

...what are you talking about? How is it not a big deal anymore? The majority of 21 Tex Avery cartoons are butchered on what was to be their first high-quality release on Blu-ray.

Its not big of deal if Jerry said he did not spot any of these DNVR issues by viewing the set as you don't view cartoons frame-by-frame do you? Unless of course Jerry comes on Stu Show next weeks and tells diffrent story I don't see any reason to get worked up over this yet.

Yes, its bad when folks are lose their jobs over the pandemic but its happening all over the world, various industries.
PopKorn Kat
2020-12-16T21:05:29Z
As great a man as he is, Mr. Beck’s word should not be the last say on any matter.

My set is supposed to arrive tomorrow, as I preordered it before word got out about the restoration issues.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2020-12-16T22:56:41Z

Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Its not big of deal if Jerry said he did not spot any of these DNVR issues by viewing the set as you don't view cartoons frame-by-frame do you? Unless of course Jerry comes on Stu Show next weeks and tells diffrent story I don't see any reason to get worked up over this yet.

Yes, its bad when folks are lose their jobs over the pandemic but its happening all over the world, various industries.

You seem to be focusing solely on one person's word regarding one of the many issues with this set. DVNR is not the only reported problem here, there is also faulty color grading, reused audio from old broadcast transfers, and Photoshopped title cards. This is Warner Archive we're dealing with, and such issues are mostly absent from their releases. When matters such as this arise, particularly on a highly anticipated release like Tex Avery Volume 2, they should not just be brushed off as "not a big deal."