Tom & Jerry (2021 movie) - Forum.
PopKorn Kat
2020-10-25T19:51:31Z
Apparently the trailer for this movie was shown in a French theater . No official word from any of Warner's social media channels yet, though I'd expect it in the coming months.

The animation looks great! However, looks aren't everything. Tom & Jerry have been, in my opinion, done dirty in recent years (a string of direct-to-video movies that I assume are of varying quality, then the 2014 TV show), so I'm very cautious. I also hope the focus will be on the animated characters, and not the live-action humans featured in the trailer.

What do you think?
ToonStar95
2020-10-25T21:23:16Z
The director confirmed on Instagram that the American teaser will drop on November 16th.
Jonathan Wilson
2020-10-26T01:52:49Z
It looks 👍. Though, it's bizzare that they're actual cartoon characters plopped in the real world. I was under the assumption it would be like Sonic (basic design rendered as faithful as they can but with fur textures). But it looks exactly like the leaked production photos from way back.

It reminds me of the Looney Tunes films, funnily enough.
nickramer
2020-10-26T04:33:22Z
I'm quite worried they might indeed side-track to the humans knowing how these films turn out. What's this director's track record? Also, are the characters cel-shaded CGI ( sort of like the Duck Dodgers theme park show from over 20 years ago) or digitally hand drawn (i.e. paperless) with heavy layers added in?

Of the direct-to video films, I though the two written by Earl Kress and the one by Dini were good.
Jonathan Wilson
2020-10-26T06:11:31Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

I'm quite worried they might indeed side-track to the humans knowing how these films turn out. What's this director's track record? Also, are the characters cel-shaded CGI ( sort of like the Duck Dodgers theme park show from over 20 years ago) or digitally hand drawn (i.e. paperless) with heavy layers added in?

Of the direct-to video films, I though the two written by Earl Kress and the one by Dini were good.

Director is Tim Story, who did Barbershop, the Fantastic Four films (the mid-2000s ones), and the recent Shaft.
Mario500
2020-10-26T11:25:05Z
Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 

The director confirmed on Instagram that the American teaser will drop on November 16th.

"drop"?
Lee B
2020-10-26T16:45:49Z
Originally Posted by: Mario500 

Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 

"drop"?

"will be released"
nickramer
2020-10-29T03:18:53Z
And it looks like the tweet has been deleted.
2020-11-03T08:41:55Z
Come on WB, JUST PUT IT ON HULU!
Quote:

Perutan Petton Pararira Pon!

PopKorn Kat
2020-11-03T08:44:50Z
Originally Posted by: RealMomokoAsuka 

Come on WB, JUST PUT IT IN HULU!

Knowing how heavily WarnerMedia's pushing HBO Max, I'd expect the movie to show up there in the United States. (Or show up for rental on multiple services, like iTunes and Amazon.)
Gnik_LJN
2020-11-13T16:41:34Z
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo1V8oC5UaI 
https://anmtv.com.br/tom...ganha-video-promocional/ 
WB posted an advertisement for South American fans to join Cartoon Network's livestream during Argentina Comic Con, and it's a cross-promotion/teaser for the new Tom and Jerry movie too! It's the first time we may see high-quality footage of samples of the animation in the movie.
Jonathan Wilson
2020-11-16T18:49:04Z
Poster. Trailer drops tomorrow.

twitter.com/heatworld/status/1328305948709052418
PopKorn Kat
2020-11-17T20:31:30Z
Now that better-quality footage is available, I can say that the animated characters stick out like a sore thumb in the live-action environments. I can see they're avoiding coating the characters in realistic fur textures (i.e., Sonic the Hedgehog, Detective Pikachu), but...there's gotta be a better way. Once again, I'm worried the movie will pull a Back in Action and focus too much on bland live-action aspects.
nickramer
2020-11-18T03:44:02Z
Honestly, I didn't think "Back in Action" was that bad. I did wish the Warner execs would've left Joe Dante alone and not meddle with the production. He knows the characters more than the suits. It was still better than "Space Jam" at least.

As for this film, yeah, I'm not sure it will work especially since the director second "Fantastic Four" (with the Silver Surfer) film was panned by critics and fans. I recall DVDs of it being sold at the Dollar Tree last year (and they rarely have feature film gems for a dollar).

As I said in the "Animation Scoop" comments section, I wonder if someone like David Silverman might have done a better job doing something like this as he was going to a similar project with The Pink Panther (who would kept silent). It seemed to be permanently shelved as Silverman is back in "Springfield".
Gnik_LJN
2020-11-18T04:37:59Z
Yeah, the rest of the movie is probably just standard family comedy fare, so if the movie's gonna be good, Tom and Jerry themselves gotta carry the big show here. (As far as we know, no traces of classic supporting characters exist here)