Jonathan Wilson
2021-01-03T05:39:31Z
Originally Posted by: Bradskey 

It’s really unclear what the host/puppet are actually gonna do, because they did nothing more than briefly intro and later promote the show. One assumes they’re either planning some light/flimsy comedy or maybe even briefly discussing the actual cartoons, but who knows.

One promo mentioned that they'll be doing comedy sketches on top of hosting the show. Sort of a throwback to many of those locally produce shows that featured a host and puppet cracking jokes and showcasing cartoons (very fitting since the channel airs the similarly Svengoolie).
Looney Turtles
2021-01-03T14:28:35Z
I'm very impressed with the airings of these cartoons on MeTV so far. And to think we haven't even seen Toon in with Me quite yet.

I'm thankful to have MeTV. That and Comet are the only OTA channels of this type I get on my Spectrum.
Mario500
2021-01-03T16:15:14Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

"Bad Luck Blackie" was complete while "Dare Devil Droopy" was not.

"complete"?

Jonathan Wilson
2021-01-03T18:45:54Z
Originally Posted by: Mario500 

Originally Posted by: nickramer 

"Bad Luck Blackie" was complete while "Dare Devil Droopy" was not.

"complete"?

It was uncensored.
Thad Komorowski
2021-01-04T14:56:45Z
FYI... This morning's broadcast used the old VHS-era master of Beanstalk Bunny, but the other cartoons were the HD remasters. They also aired everything in the correct aspect ratio (and it wasn't a fluke, as it transitioned from the widescreen interstitials to the pillar-boxed cartoons). So my guess is that the Toon in with Me show will be correct, whereas the Saturday morning block will be cropped.

The interstitials were pretty corny, but it is aimed at kids, and Bill is telling potential new audiences who Chuck Jones and the Fleischers are. The cartoons were all uncensored, had their credits, weren't time-compressed, and the Fleischer Popeye was not colorized. So firm thumbs up from me on this one.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-04T16:57:51Z
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski 

FYI... This morning's broadcast used the old VHS-era master of Beanstalk Bunny, but the other cartoons were the HD remasters. They also aired everything in the correct aspect ratio (and it wasn't a fluke, as it transitioned from the widescreen interstitials to the pillar-boxed cartoons). So my guess is that the Toon in with Me show will be correct, whereas the Saturday morning block will be cropped.

The interstitials were pretty corny, but it is aimed at kids, and Bill is telling potential new audiences who Chuck Jones and the Fleischers are. The cartoons were all uncensored, had their credits, weren't time-compressed, and the Fleischer Popeye was not colorized. So firm thumbs up from me on this one.

The sourcing of the master in this airing still looks miles better then the sourcing the internet currently has. I still hope eventually Beanstalk Bunny gets restored, easily the greatest Bugs not restored as of yet. Greatest unrestored WB cartoon, that's a tie with Daffy Doodles for me.
Bradskey
2021-01-04T22:14:00Z
I thought the show was pretty decently well-done. Bill (the "cartoon curator") is not the most charismatic guy, but pleasant and affable enough. The humor was corny but light-hearted. I could chuckle at some of it. There was even a semi-educational bit in the middle with the extended cast. Though not stunning, the show does have it's own animated title and bumper sequences. While there aren't going to be any long lectures, the host did work in some cartoon facts as he introduced each cartoon. Bill mentioned that Beanstalk Bunny is from 1955. He remarked that the "legendary" Fleischer studios produced today's Popeye cartoon, "Vim, Vigor and Vitaliky". He intro'd the T&J cartoon "Ah, Sweet Mouse-Story Of Life" by telling the audience it was directed by "the legendary Chuck Jones", asking the audience to recall (if they were paying attention to the titles) that Jones directed the earlier cartoon Beanstalk Bunny, while an image of Jones actually appeared briefly on one of the TV screens behind Bill. Maybe as an Easter egg a small Svengoolie head is also in one of the TV screens. And finally he pointed out that "Walky Talky Hawky" is the very first appearance of Foghorn Leghorn.

You like it or you don't. Ultimately the presentation of the cartoons themselves was quite good, broadcast in full original aspect ration also, mostly restored copies - I don't know how we could have expected more. Especially compared to the big fat nothing we otherwise had. While this whole host/puppet concept was pooh-poohed on Stu's show recently, I actually think creating a small approachable universe/world for the presentation of classic cartoons for younger audience members is not without value, as long is it doesn't insult their intelligence and the rest of the audience's, which it didn't. The guy is not exactly wearing a clown suit. This format has the potential to at least briefly introduce people to famous directors, animators, voice artists and even composers, along with some of the general history of classic animation.
tashlinfan44
2021-01-04T22:20:20Z

I thought the show was pretty decently well-done. Bill (the "cartoon curator") is not the most charismatic guy, but pleasant and affable enough. The humor was corny but light-hearted. I could chuckle at some of it. There was even a semi-educational bit in the middle with the extended cast. Though not stunning, the show does have it's own animated title and bumper sequences. While there aren't going to be any long lectures, the host did work in some cartoon facts as he introduced each cartoon. Bill mentioned that Beanstalk Bunny is from 1955. He remarked that the "legendary" Fleischer studios produced today's Popeye cartoon, "Vim, Vigor and Vitaliky". He intro'd the T&J cartoon "Ah, Sweet Mouse-Story Of Life" by telling the audience it was directed by "the legendary Chuck Jones", asking the audience to recall (if they were paying attention to the titles) that Jones directed the earlier cartoon Beanstalk Bunny, while an image of Jones actually appeared briefly on one of the TV screens behind Bill. Maybe as an Easter egg a small Svengoolie head is also in one of the TV screens. And finally he pointed out that "Walky Talky Hawky" is the very first appearance of Foghorn Leghorn.

You like it or you don't. Ultimately the presentation of the cartoons themselves was quite good, broadcast in full original aspect ration also, mostly restored copies - I don't know how we could have expected more. Especially compared to the big fat nothing we otherwise had. While this whole host/puppet concept was pooh-poohed on Stu's show recently, I actually think creating a small approachable universe/world for the presentation of classic cartoons for younger audience members is not without value, as long is it doesn't insult their intelligence and the rest of the audience's, which it didn't. The guy is not exactly wearing a clown suit. This format has the potential to at least briefly introduce people to famous directors, animators, voice artists and even composers, along with some of the general history of classic animation.

I didn’t actually catch the show, but it’s good to hear that the cartoon fans within this community seemed to like it. I would assume that it would get my seal of approval as well.

Toonheads tried to be educational when showing these cartoons, and getting information like this out to the public, but no average family would sit down and listen to those long bridging sequences when they just want to see the actual cartoons. I think short and sweet facts are the way to go here, and that sounds like what they did. Thumbs up from me.
nickramer
2021-01-05T15:21:12Z
"Moby Duck" will be airing so that means Speedy's shorts will be included.
Thad Komorowski
2021-01-05T17:06:42Z
Be advised scheduled cartoons may change. Leave Well Enough Alone aired instead of I Don't Scare, and Tom & Jerry's The Dog House (fully restored in a beautiful looking transfer) aired instead of Friz's Dr. Jerkyl's Hide. But somehow Cool Cat made it through. 😁
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-05T23:11:46Z

Be advised scheduled cartoons may change. Leave Well Enough Alone aired instead of I Don't Scare, and Tom & Jerry's The Dog House (fully restored in a beautiful looking transfer) aired instead of Friz's Dr. Jerkyl's Hide. But somehow Cool Cat made it through. 😁

We all know the only reason they played it is because it's restored. My assumption currently is that in terms of Looney Tunes, it's gonna have a pretty good short for an old copy to be used, or a cartoon getting worked on (it's been noted Beanstalk Bunny had been getting worked on in July)
Mesterius
2021-01-05T23:24:15Z
Originally Posted by: S. C. MacPeter 

We all know the only reason they played it is because it's restored. My assumption currently is that in terms of Looney Tunes, it's gonna have a pretty good short for an old copy to be used, or a cartoon getting worked on (it's been noted Beanstalk Bunny had been getting worked on in July)

Where was that information about Beanstalk Bunny noted exacty? I'm not sure if I've seen it confirmed anywhere.
tashlinfan44
2021-01-06T00:00:29Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Originally Posted by: S. C. MacPeter 

Where was that information about Beanstalk Bunny noted exacty? I'm not sure if I've seen it confirmed anywhere.

Someone on Twitter put out some screenshots of emails he has from Jerry Beck. The Twitter guy asked Beck about The Unruly Hare, A Lad In His Lamp, and Beanstalk Bunny, and Jerry said the negs were being worked on for those. The tweet in question:

https://twitter.com/spon...1319366327191150593?s=20 
Bradskey
2021-01-06T04:56:43Z
The comedy bits today were a little different. Corny and stilted, but kinda cute. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but still fine for kids. The show is definitely trying to be approachable for kids in the morning. And yet all the gun play, etc in the cartoons was left intact. Again, the presentation of the cartoons was good, but wow, a Cool Cat cartoon? Lol.

But omg, some of the critical comments on social media. People can be so nasty. Either criticizing the host/puppet or MeTV for trying something different, complaining loudly about the skits, or sounding like total geezers complaining that their favorite ancient re-run show (which has probably been available on some cheap DVD for ages) has been replaced by cartoons now. It's only THE SECOND FREAKING EPISODE, pack of whiners! Good grief, give MeTV a chance, they're probably just trying some things. It'd be real nice if MeTV decided people hate cartoons because of these big mouth malcontents.

Even better are the old farts complaining that a few of their precious Westerns were replaced on Saturday mornings. Heck, I like old Westerns! But for crying out loud, MeTV probably airs 40 hours a week of Westerns as it is. And there are at least 4 or 5 tired old re-run diginets that also air a lot of Westerns. Maybe the complainers should demand a refund.

At the same time there are positive comments and a lot of people do seem to like and appreciate the show. But these whining sourpusses sound like a real barrel of laughs, I'll bet they're all loads of fun at parties.
nickramer
2021-01-06T05:12:08Z
The host segment needs some pizzazz, but at least they don't cuss or bash Cal Arts......
Looney Turtles
2021-01-06T08:41:31Z

The comedy bits today were a little different. Corny and stilted, but kinda cute. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but still fine for kids. The show is definitely trying to be approachable for kids in the morning. And yet all the gun play, etc in the cartoons was left intact. Again, the presentation of the cartoons was good, but wow, a Cool Cat cartoon? Lol.

But omg, some of the critical comments on social media. People can be so nasty. Either criticizing the host/puppet or MeTV for trying something different, complaining loudly about the skits, or sounding like total geezers complaining that their favorite ancient re-run show (which has probably been available on some cheap DVD for ages) has been replaced by cartoons now. It's only THE SECOND FREAKING EPISODE, pack of whiners! Good grief, give MeTV a chance, they're probably just trying some things. It'd be real nice if MeTV decided people hate cartoons because of these big mouth malcontents.

Even better are the old farts complaining that a few of their precious Westerns were replaced on Saturday mornings. Heck, I like old Westerns! But for crying out loud, MeTV probably airs 40 hours a week of Westerns as it is. And there are at least 4 or 5 tired old re-run diginets that also air a lot of Westerns. Maybe the complainers should demand a refund.

At the same time there are positive comments and a lot of people do seem to like and appreciate the show. But these whining sourpusses sound like a real barrel of laughs, I'll bet they're all loads of fun at parties.

Yeah, the Cool Cat cartoons (and the Seven Arts-era in general) aren't well-liked at all, but hey, I actually like the Cool Cat cartoons, so I'm glad they aired one.

But yeah, cartoons have been highly requested for MeTV, so naturally they are delivering. I mean, if you have cable, there's already several other channels that play old Westerns and other old live-action shows in general. But playing old cartoons is more of a rarity. Besides MeTV, all there really is, is Boomerang, and even then, they only show a few pre-90's cartoons these days, and have the Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry shorts on auto-pilot.
Thad Komorowski
2021-01-06T13:28:43Z
Happy-Go-Nutty was the censored Turner broadcast master as seen on Boomerang. The three WBs they showed were all HD remasters (Rabbit's Feat had the digital titles) and uncensored.
Mario500
2021-01-06T14:00:33Z
(personal thoughts of mine: believes a certain part (or an animated movie named "Happy-Go-Nutty" ) of what I had believed to had been a certain broadcast of the "Toon In With Me" in the name of this discussion had some of its content censored; does not make guesses or assumptions about the source and quality of the part or the source or sources and qualities of parts similar to this one (other animated movies with stories))

(personal thoughts of mine: does not believe in making fun of complaints or their creators)
Thad Komorowski
2021-01-07T13:54:17Z
What a thrill to see two black-and-white WB cartoons on today's show! A classic Clampett and an oddball Jack King... when was the last time that happened on TV? 1992?

Rabbit Rampage was the HBO Max version that looks excellent but probably has the worst redone titles of all (so bad part of the animator desk BG on the title card is literally a solid block cut and paste from elsewhere in the BG). I really hope they go back and fix these when/if they're put out on hard media but that's probably false hope.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-07T14:38:12Z

What a thrill to see two black-and-white WB cartoons on today's show! A classic Clampett and an oddball Jack King... when was the last time that happened on TV? 1992?

Rabbit Rampage was the HBO Max version that looks excellent but probably has the worst redone titles of all (so bad part of the animator desk BG on the title card is literally a solid block cut and paste from elsewhere in the BG). I really hope they go back and fix these when/if they're put out on hard media but that's probably false hope.

And in two weeks, a bunch of 50s and 60s shorts, and of the middle of it all Bingo Crosbyana!