Leviathan
2021-05-08T15:19:13Z
That throws a wrench into the HBO Max search theory. If that's not restored, then maybe the other shorts that come up with a search aren't forthcoming either.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-05-09T23:03:30Z
Daffy Doodles is scheduled for May 29th, and it’s worth noting, Matt Hunter on FB mentioned in a comment under good authority that Daffy Doodles was restored, so it’ll be nice to see that!

Cross Country Detours is scheduled too, Jon Cooke noted that there "may be something newly restored" for the cartoon
nickramer
2021-05-10T14:40:19Z
Well, the (Pink) Panther has finally landed on METV and they started by showing the very first short, "The Pink Phink"(1964).
Bradskey
2021-05-11T03:57:41Z
Pink and Pals on MeTV is pretty cool. Little more variety, not that the selection is lacking as it is.

I kind of predicted this, not that it's all that insightful or non-obvious. But I'd heard or read somewhere that MeTV is actively trying to acquire more cartoons, and I thought more of what Warner has, ie HB library, was pretty obvious, which has kind of happened with adding the Jetsons. And then I thought the most likely cartoon libraries to appear again on broadcast were Columbia and DFE. Since Sony competes in this space the Columbia/UPA stuff is likely to only come back on one of their diginets (probably only as TTI), so DFE library makes total sense, as it has been the most available theatrical cartoon library on broadcast in recent years and probably was an easy acquisition for MeTV.

Any predictions on what, if anything, else MeTV might acquire for broadcast? Universal/Lantz maybe?
S. C. MacPeter
2021-05-11T13:59:18Z
A few things worth noting from the Pink Panther debut I've been meaning to mention.

The Pink Phink was presented cropped to widescreen so I would expect all the Depatie-Freleng cartoons to air this way regardless of weekday and weekend. Luckily these shorts were made with cropping in mind so it doesn't feel wrong.

They also mentioned he was joined by The Inspector and Roland and Rattfink, so it appears they've only acquired the first 3 theatrical series (sorry Ant and Aardvark fans!), which is only (not counting the PP TV shorts) 143 cartoons, which is the smallest library out of any of the studios
nickramer
2021-05-11T17:55:59Z
Originally Posted by: Bradskey 

I kind of predicted this, not that it's all that insightful or non-obvious. But I'd heard or read somewhere that MeTV is actively trying to acquire more cartoons, and I thought more of what Warner has, ie HB library, was pretty obvious, which has kind of happened with adding the Jetsons. And then I thought the most likely cartoon libraries to appear again on broadcast were Columbia and DFE. Since Sony competes in this space the Columbia/UPA stuff is likely to only come back on one of their diginets (probably only as TTI), so DFE library makes total sense, as it has been the most available theatrical cartoon library on broadcast in recent years and probably was an easy acquisition for MeTV.

I'm not sure about Columbia. Doesn't their parent company, Sony, still own the rival network Antenna TV?
Bradskey
2021-05-11T20:17:54Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

I'm sure about Columbia. Doesn't their parent company, Sony, still own the rival network Antenna TV?

AntennaTV was apparently launched and owned by Tribune Media, now Nextstar Media, a typical radio/television broadcast station owner. I felt certain at one point Sony had some ownership but I'm not sure. Sony does own GetTV and maybe a few other newer/smaller diginets. Anyway AntennaTV clearly had/has a relationship on with Sony that MeTV does not, since they rely so much on the Sony Pictures Television library (Screen Gems, Columbia, Tristar, etc).

Apparently AntennaTV will be spinning off a separate network this year called RewindTV for the 80s-90s stuff and leave the older content on AntennaTV, perhaps making it a good home for classic animation again.
Ian L.
2021-05-11T22:47:41Z
I really hope some of these restored Looney Tunes shorts comes to HBO Max soon. I don't feel like waking up at 6 am to watch them on TV and don't have a DVR recorder to watch them later.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-05-12T02:53:18Z
Originally Posted by: Ian L. 

I really hope some of these restored Looney Tunes shorts comes to HBO Max soon. I don't feel like waking up at 6 am to watch them on TV and don't have a DVR recorder to watch them later.

Their rolling out a "MeTV+" in Chicago that'll roll out in other markets eventually, it'll apparently rerun the show at 11PM EST
nickramer
2021-05-12T04:19:38Z

AntennaTV was apparently launched and owned by Tribune Media, now Nextstar Media, a typical radio/television broadcast station owner. I felt certain at one point Sony had some ownership but I'm not sure. Sony does own GetTV and maybe a few other newer/smaller diginets. Anyway AntennaTV clearly had/has a relationship on with Sony that MeTV does not, since they rely so much on the Sony Pictures Television library (Screen Gems, Columbia, Tristar, etc).

Apparently AntennaTV will be spinning off a separate network this year called RewindTV for the 80s-90s stuff and leave the older content on AntennaTV, perhaps making it a good home for classic animation again.

I did not know that. Off-Topic: I wish Nick/ TVLand would've thought of that second channel idea for more modern shows a long time ago.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-05-12T13:18:23Z
A bit of inconsistency with this morning's rerun of Cartoons Ain't Human. The aforementioned 'Moana Liza' painting was still edited out as it was back in April, but this time they've also made the bizarre choice of editing out the shot of the 'Dipsy Glee' fan dancer poster, thus ruining the censorship joke that follows (or enhancing it possibly).
UserPostedImage
Really strange since it aired intact just last month.
UserPostedImage

Putting on me thinking cap and remembering what happened to Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears last Saturday, it seems MeTV has lately been getting cold feet about scantily clad women appearing in the cartoons. Could that be why they still haven't aired Is My Palm Read? They're depriving people of an early Dave Tendlar masterpiece.
UserPostedImage
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-05-15T15:14:04Z
Popeye & Pink Panther's Party debuted today and as per the new intro (which is the same as the old intro but with DFE cartoon clips and the Pink Panther's theme added in), it seems that the "Queen of the Animated Screen" was invited.
UserPostedImage
Looking at the schedule, it appears that the only color Famous Popeyes that'll turn up for the next few Saturdays are ones that they already aired, which isn't too exciting.

Half-Pint Palomino aired with a new HD transfer today. Colors are decent but the same technical issues as most of the other new MGM cartoon transfers are still evident.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Life With Tom aired with the Little Orphan clip of Tom in blackface edited out. Part of me wonders if it would have aired unedited if it didn't get pulled at the last minute a few weeks back when it was originally scheduled.
UserPostedImage

For those unaware, the much-anticipated Henhouse Henery got changed to Mother was a Rooster a few days ago, so no screenshots for that cartoon. If anyone is interested, Bushy Hare ran fully intact this morning.
UserPostedImage
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-05-17T13:14:48Z
The restored version of Hamateur Night has resurfaced.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Leviathan
2021-05-17T16:09:47Z
It ran uncut, too.

Which raises the question, what was so bad about it that HBO Max had to pull it?
Toonatic
2021-05-17T17:36:08Z
How do the PP and DFE shorts look? Are they sourced from the Kino Lorber Blu-rays?
Lee B
2021-05-18T03:22:52Z
Originally Posted by: Toonatic 

How do the PP and DFE shorts look? Are they sourced from the Kino Lorber Blu-rays?

Certainly looked like the KL blus to me. All the nasty DNR in Sink Pink was the same. When the Paul Frees voiced villain climbed back up the hill, his hands were missing fingers like some of the ugly shots Thad had posted from Tex Avery vol 2. I hadn’t realized how rampant bad DNR was in recent releases.

And the SD MeTV presentation made the ugly shots look even worse.
Thad Komorowski
2021-05-18T13:24:35Z
Originally Posted by: Lee B 

Originally Posted by: Toonatic 

Certainly looked like the KL blus to me. All the nasty DNR in Sink Pink was the same. When the Paul Frees voiced villain climbed back up the hill, his hands were missing fingers like some of the ugly shots Thad had posted from Tex Avery vol 2. I hadn’t realized how rampant bad DNR was in recent releases.

And the SD MeTV presentation made the ugly shots look even worse.

It's not DNR in Sink Pink's case. I investigated it at the time the disc was in production, because that's how it looked on the raw transfer and it was only for those scenes, and it looks like that in my film print too. Some times cels can get mangled in the camera and create bad DNR-like effects (see the scene where Porky's chasing Daffy around the building in Daffy Doodles). Also, expect any laugh track issues they had prior to the Kino set to be the same on MeTV. We only fixed those for the Blu-Ray, not MGM's masters.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-05-21T13:41:04Z
Those Were Wonderful Days restored screenshots.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
First time I ever watched this cartoon but I like it for the fact that it ends with the Fearless Fred knockoff being inflicted with pain. That's poetic justice.
Bradskey
2021-05-21T16:05:28Z
Today was the 100th episode, and I believe they are going on hiatus on new Toon In With Me episodes until maybe Fall. So probably starting with re-runs Monday, but it's your chance to DVR anything you missed.
Thad Komorowski
2021-05-21T16:16:04Z
Although the station's schedule online no longer lists the individual Toon In With Me cartoons, MeTV exec VP Neal Sabin confirmed that they certainly are not going on a summer hiatus. The preview for Monday's episode showed Bunker Hill Bunny and Shuteye Popeye.