MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-04-03T05:46:36Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Originally Posted by: MTGM 

Popeye Meets Ali Baba finally aired as well, meaning all three of the two-reelers have aired on MeTV.
UserPostedImage

I expect it had DVNR, like all of Warner's releases of this particular color two-reeler on DVD and streaming?

Definitely seems like it.
UserPostedImage

If anyone was wondering, Run Run Sweet Roadrunner aired unrestored yesterday, making it the third Warner cartoon to air as such (the other two were Beanstalk Bunny and Muzzle Tough). Rain dance sequence was completely intact.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Gotta say I'm a bit saddened about the Popeye block getting shortened because I've been on a huge Popeye and Betty Boop kick for the last two months thanks to MeTV (no idea why it took me so long to delve into her series cause I was really missing out).
HeySteve
2021-04-03T14:18:39Z
"I Taw a Putty Tat" was the 1980's Viddy-Oh! for Kids transfer. It was also unedited.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-04-03T14:34:09Z
Cartoons Ain't Human aired with the shot of the 'Moana Liza' painting edited out. Be Human opened on the title card itself, no U.M.&M. card was shown at the beginning or the end.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Sleepy-Time Squirrel aired with a new HD transfer. Same technical issues as most of the other MGM cartoons. I'd rank it slightly above Heir Bear.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
There was even a cue mark at the end.

I Taw a Putty Tat screenshots for anyone wondering.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
nickramer
2021-04-04T13:50:24Z
Originally Posted by: snowpeck 

So it appears the Pink Panther/DFE shorts are joining. According to the schedule MeTV sent out today, starting on 5/15, the Saturday morning Popeye and Pals hour gets shortened to 30 minutes and the remaining time will be Pink Panther's Party.

https://drive.google.com...qb3Jit5/view?usp=sharing 

That's good. I wonder if MeTV will get rights to air Universal's theatrical library next (Lantz and Harvey)?
ToonFan
2021-04-05T13:27:31Z
Has Toon In With Me or the Bugs Bunny show shown a Clampett or Tashlin cartoon yet?
Tsivc99
2021-04-05T14:13:18Z
Originally Posted by: ToonFan 

Has Toon In With Me or the Bugs Bunny show shown a Clampett or Tashlin cartoon yet?

I know for certain "Tortoise Wins by a Hare," "The Unruly Hare," "Baby Bottleneck," and "Eatin' on the Cuff or The Moth Who Came to Dinner" have aired.
ToonFan
2021-04-05T14:53:59Z
Originally Posted by: Tsivc99 

Originally Posted by: ToonFan 

I know for certain "Tortoise Wins by a Hare," "The Unruly Hare," "Baby Bottleneck," and "Eatin' on the Cuff or The Moth Who Came to Dinner" have aired.

Thanks, I didn't think they'd run many if any at all.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-04-05T16:33:01Z
Not sure why, but I've noticed beginning Saturday with Lucky Ducky, MeTV is starting to amp up them playing 40s Avery. Their also gonna be playing King Size Canary the 13th and The Shooting of Dan McGoo the 14th. Pretty cool, wonder if some V3 prints are finished in that case
Mesterius
2021-04-07T02:14:21Z
Originally Posted by: S. C. MacPeter 

Not sure why, but I've noticed beginning Saturday with Lucky Ducky, MeTV is starting to amp up them playing 40s Avery. Their also gonna be playing King Size Canary the 13th and The Shooting of Dan McGoo the 14th. Pretty cool, wonder if some V3 prints are finished in that case

I have a distinct feeling those will be "restored" in the same terrible way most new MGM remasters for streaming have been. But we'll see.
Gnik_LJN
2021-04-07T02:53:15Z
Lucky Ducky. Wonder if the 35mm print Jim Tucker collected in 2013 has been put to good use.
https://cartoonresearch....averys-lucky-ducky-1948/ 
S. C. MacPeter
2021-04-07T02:57:02Z
Originally Posted by: Gnik_LJN 

Lucky Ducky. Wonder if the 35mm print Jim Tucker collected in 2013 has been put to good use.
https://cartoonresearch....averys-lucky-ducky-1948/ 

Even if restored crummy this would make the 3rd volume worth buying entirely. Shooting of Dan McGoo could offer Kausler's print, though that feels less likely. But the world is a surprising one these days, we'll wait and see
Zachary
2021-04-07T17:44:03Z
Someone asked on the December Stu's Show about whether the known original title sequences for the Avery cartoons would be used, and Jerry's response was essentially that his intention is for these cartoons to be released as original and uncut as possible, and WB already possesses a transfer of Kausler's print of The Shooting of Dan McGoo, but that with this and the other titles we'll just have to wait and see.
Thad Komorowski
2021-04-07T19:02:36Z
You would think that’s the case but when I offered the tracks for several Popeye cartoons, so at the very least they could correct their masters for future use, they declined. (This is without getting into the fact they would not wait ten days for help with the Vol. 2 blu-ray while the elements were shipped and being transferred.)
vdubdavid
2021-04-08T11:38:50Z
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski 

You would think that’s the case but when I offered the tracks for several Popeye cartoons, so at the very least they could correct their masters for future use, they declined. (This is without getting into the fact they would not wait ten days for help with the Vol. 2 blu-ray while the elements were shipped and being transferred.)

Of course they declined, because business is business and they need to make their ship date, though you'd think that since they no longer need to get 10,000 units to Wal-Mart on a specific Tuesday in April they could try and see if people would be willing to wait a few days for what would have been an even better product than what we already had.

That doesn't get at the problem we've had for the past 60-70 years though, and that is for whatever reason non-Disney animation (especially theatrical animation) is still not viewed with the same corporate respect that is given to feature films of the same vintage. The people who do such great work restoring films like 'Mystery of the Wax Museum' to a previously unheard of standard aren't spending their time on 7-minute shorts 'for kids'. Sometimes I wonder if that 'For the Adult Collector' blurb on the package is simply a legal dodge so no one can sue if Johnny and Susie see something unexpected, because what 'adult collector' would stand for a classic feature film (that they may have waited decades to see) having futzed-about title sequences or images that have been digitally scrubbed to within an inch of their lives?

If WB would take the time to hire the people who actually studied and specialized in animation and leave them alone to do their work, maybe we'd finally put all this behind us and get to where we should have been all along when the first Golden Collections came out: with chronological presentations of shorts with no time compression, no DVNR, and all edits and reissue cuts reversed whenever and whereever possible. Do that, and then you can do all the 'grab bag' and 'best of' collections you like to boost revenue.

Anything else is putting the cart before the horse.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-04-08T12:48:21Z
Dumb Patrol (1964) restored screenshots
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Thad Komorowski
2021-04-08T13:30:27Z
What's ironic is that Vol. 2 was the one that was screwed up with Amazon anyway with people not getting their copies for weeks. And that still doesn't explain why they wouldn't fix the masters for streaming and broadcast or future collections. It was pretty brutal seeing For Better or Nurse with the wrong track on MeTV, some three years after the offer was on the table to use my print to correct it. Then again, they haven't bothered to fix the pitch on tracks for important cartoons like Rabbit of Seville, Rabbit Fire, High Diving Hare, or Bully for Bugs in nearly two decades either.
Leviathan
2021-04-09T01:45:34Z
They consider the Thin Man sequels more deserving of proper restoration than Tex Avery's cartoons, so yeah.
tashlinfan44
2021-04-09T18:51:32Z
Originally Posted by: vdubdavid 

Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski 

Of course they declined, because business is business and they need to make their ship date, though you'd think that since they no longer need to get 10,000 units to Wal-Mart on a specific Tuesday in April they could try and see if people would be willing to wait a few days for what would have been an even better product than what we already had.

That doesn't get at the problem we've had for the past 60-70 years though, and that is for whatever reason non-Disney animation (especially theatrical animation) is still not viewed with the same corporate respect that is given to feature films of the same vintage. The people who do such great work restoring films like 'Mystery of the Wax Museum' to a previously unheard of standard aren't spending their time on 7-minute shorts 'for kids'. Sometimes I wonder if that 'For the Adult Collector' blurb on the package is simply a legal dodge so no one can sue if Johnny and Susie see something unexpected, because what 'adult collector' would stand for a classic feature film (that they may have waited decades to see) having futzed-about title sequences or images that have been digitally scrubbed to within an inch of their lives?

If WB would take the time to hire the people who actually studied and specialized in animation and leave them alone to do their work, maybe we'd finally put all this behind us and get to where we should have been all along when the first Golden Collections came out: with chronological presentations of shorts with no time compression, no DVNR, and all edits and reissue cuts reversed whenever and whereever possible. Do that, and then you can do all the 'grab bag' and 'best of' collections you like to boost revenue.

Anything else is putting the cart before the horse.

This legit might be the best and most intelligently-written post I’ve ever seen on the forums. Thank you, vdubdavid.
nickramer
2021-04-09T19:25:03Z
Getting back on-topic (we already got a whole separate restoration thread where complaints should go, folks), has ME-TV doe a press release about The Pink Panther yet?
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-04-09T19:45:34Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Getting back on-topic (we already got a whole separate restoration thread where complaints should go, folks), has ME-TV doe a press release about The Pink Panther yet?

https://blog.sitcomsonli...h-addams-family-and.html