MeTV launching "Toon In With Me" and "Saturday Morning Cartoons" in 2021- Page 14 - Forum.
nickramer
2021-03-18T03:58:08Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

At this point, I'm thinking it's spite. Someone at WB hates the cartoons and the fact that they have to restore them, so they're taking their anger out on the cartoons.

Noticeably, their work on live-action films and TV shows are completely unblemished.

Aren't you over-reacting quite a bit there, son? Besides, Jerry just mentioned that Warners tracked the source and a gave a long talk to them and probably won't be working with them anymore.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-03-18T13:21:57Z
The Night of the Living Duck restored screenshots
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-03-20T14:27:44Z
I have an appreciation for Barbecue for Two so it was nice seeing it on national television, and with a much better transfer than what you find through most official sources (I almost mistook it for the version on Thunderbean's Popeye Blu-ray).
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

In other news, Heir Bear aired in HD today with a somewhat decent transfer, though still accompanied with the same technical issues on most of the recent MGM transfers. If I had to compare it to the other restorations on a scale of Wee Willie Wildcat to Symphony in Slang, I'd rank it slightly above Cellbound.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Mesterius
2021-03-20T15:57:03Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

At this point, I'm thinking it's spite. Someone at WB hates the cartoons and the fact that they have to restore them, so they're taking their anger out on the cartoons.

Noticeably, their work on live-action films and TV shows are completely unblemished.

Aren't you over-reacting quite a bit there, son? Besides, Jerry just mentioned that Warners tracked the source and a gave a long talk to them and probably won't be working with them anymore.

That doesn't automatically fix all the damage that's already been done. There's no guarantee that the Warner and MGM cartoons which have been "restored" with messed-up titles and off-looking color will ever get new, unblemished HD releases.
SuperMuppet64
2021-03-20T18:54:12Z
Originally Posted by: MTGM 

(I almost mistook it for the version on Thunderbean's Popeye Blu-ray)

i think it is. again another "public domain" kfs popeye. i know for a fact warner has current home video rights to the kfs popeyes, but im not sure about tv, and these screenshots so far definitely aren't sanctioned versions. (matinee idol looks like it was grabbed from a compressed yt upload)
Mesterius
2021-03-20T20:59:34Z
Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 

(I almost mistook it for the version on Thunderbean's Popeye Blu-ray)

i think it is. again another "public domain" kfs popeye. i know for a fact warner has current home video rights to the kfs popeyes, but im not sure about tv, and these screenshots so far definitely aren't sanctioned versions. (matinee idol looks like it was grabbed from a compressed yt upload)

I have to ask here -- those colors on "Barbecue for Two" (which look the same as on Steve's release)... are they SUPPOSED to look that way? They look really messed up.
Thad Komorowski
2021-03-21T02:07:19Z
They're not. Steve badly color graded a faded print.

Re: Photoshop titles, enjoy them, because these are going to be the forever versions, considering that bad batch of Tom & Jerrys has never been corrected in over a decade.
nickramer
2021-03-21T03:29:26Z
What ever happen to optimism? No, wait, don't answer that. I don't want to know!
PopKorn Kat
2021-03-21T06:00:27Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

What ever happen to optimism? No, wait, don't answer that. I don't want to know!

There's a difference between optimism, realism, and pessimism. When striving for realism, it's all too easy to fall into the latter.

That being said...the Tom & Jerry prints, as ugly as they were, didn't have stuff like "R8bert McKimson" or whatever nonsense. Normally, I'd say that's not the kind of product a major studio would be banking on, but...here we are. They did fix the aforementioned "Rabbit's Kin" for HBO Max later on, so whether they'll see fit to redo the fudged titles or not is up in the air. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Mesterius
2021-03-21T07:48:16Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

I have to ask here -- those colors on "Barbecue for Two" (which look the same as on Steve's release)... are they SUPPOSED to look that way? They look really messed up.

Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski 

They're not. Steve badly color graded a faded print.

That's what it felt like. I was surprised to see such bad-looking color on a Thunderbean release.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-03-21T16:27:47Z
Sneak Peek of Joe Glow the Firefly on tomorrow's airing UserPostedImage
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-03-22T12:39:45Z
Goggle Fishing Bear got replaced by the Tom and Jerry short "Catty Cornered" this morning.

Joe Glow the Firefly restored screenshots
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
The opening music was the variant you're probably familiar with, but the closing music was the standard cue they utilized prior to Porky's Bear Facts.

Daffy Rents restored preview for tomorrow's lineup.
UserPostedImage
S. C. MacPeter
2021-03-22T14:03:52Z
According to Jon Cooke, his copy ends with the standard theme. In that case it's likely what audiences saw in 1941 then
snowpeck
2021-03-22T19:42:13Z
Originally Posted by: S. C. MacPeter 

According to Jon Cooke, his copy ends with the standard theme. In that case it's likely what audiences saw in 1941 then

I can vouch for that. My old Sunset/Guild copy has the first couple seconds of the closing.

MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-03-23T12:25:42Z
Daffy Rents and Feather Bluster restored screenshots
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Gilition
2021-03-24T04:21:33Z

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Ticks me off that they put time and care into the Warner cartoons but they just recklessly use any automatic process with MGM cartoons.
Edward Joseph
2021-03-25T13:29:29Z
Upcoming Restorations:

March 31st: Shake Your Powder Puff (possibly with the lost ending card and opening cards)

April 2nd: Run Run Sweet Roadrunner (if this airs restored, all of the road runner cartoons will be restored)

April 3rd: I taw a puddy tat (On Bugs Bunny and Friends, possibly with the blackface gag uncensored, though i doubt it)

April 8th: Dumb Patrol (if this airs restored, all of the yosamite sam cartoons except for horse hare will be restored)
Edward Joseph
2021-03-25T13:32:54Z

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Pardon me but in feather bluster, are the clips from henhouse henry restored?
S. C. MacPeter
2021-03-25T14:18:15Z
Originally Posted by: Edward Joseph 

Upcoming Restorations:

As a quick note, Curtain Razor (originally restored in SD), & The Music Mice Trio are scheduled for tomorrow, The Dixie Fryer has replaced Plop Goes the Weasel for this Saturday too, and Speedy Ghost to Town is scheduled for April 10th (If you go on the MeTV site, and you first click an article relating to Bugs & Friends, and click a link they offer to the page for said show, it'll show you the next three airings)
fulano7
2021-03-25T17:38:00Z
Originally Posted by: Edward Joseph 

Upcoming Restorations:
April 3rd: I taw a puddy tat (On Bugs Bunny and Friends, possibly with the blackface gag uncensored, though i doubt it)

That's a very surprising choice. I disagree with the statement between parentheses, though. The blackface gag will certainly be cut out.
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.