44 new WB restorations- Page 6 - Forum.
Leviathan
2020-11-04T21:47:37Z
Originally Posted by: Blob55 

Wait so any old Foghorns? The list is so long!!!

A Fractured Leghorn, The Leghorn Blows at Midnight, Sock-a-Doodle Doo, Plop Goes The Weasel and Mother Was A Rooster.
Ian L.
2020-11-05T02:26:18Z
Also The Slick Chick. Kinda sucks that we got that one before Henhouse Henery, but oh well.
Blob55
2020-11-05T03:28:07Z
Sadly none of the removed shorts returned. :/
Ian L.
2020-11-05T13:50:13Z
Okay, that Waggily Tale error is just crazy. How did that make it past quality control??
nickramer
2020-11-06T03:12:22Z
Originally Posted by: Ian L. 

Also The Slick Chick. Kinda sucks that we got that one before Henhouse Henery, but oh well.

I thought that was nice little final Foghorn short so I can't complain really. Also, this may have been done for budget reasons, but I kind of wish McKimson co-wrote more of his shorts. He seemed to did a fine job on that one.
Gilition
2020-11-07T00:01:47Z
Originally Posted by: Ian L. 

Okay, that Waggily Tale error is just crazy. How did that make it past quality control??

What do y'all expect. This is the same service that had like 75% of I wish I had wings's dialogue removed somehow.
wiley207
2020-11-07T04:22:22Z
Here's my blog post about the newest restorations!

https://wile-e2005.livejournal.com/253652.html 
Ian L.
2020-11-08T00:20:35Z
Unrelated to the presentation of these shorts, I had forgotten how fantastic the animation was in Two Gophers from Texas. The animators really cut loose on that one. It's just plain fun to watch.
Lee B
2020-11-09T18:54:40Z
Don't know if this had been mentioned anywhere, but I just viewed "A Sheep in the Deep" and it's uncut. The smoking scene during the lunch break is intact.
tashlinfan44
2020-11-09T23:06:52Z
Originally Posted by: Lee B 

Don't know if this had been mentioned anywhere, but I just viewed "A Sheep in the Deep" and it's uncut. The smoking scene during the lunch break is intact.

Was this scene cut from other circulating prints? If not, then this isn't a big deal. Even WB hasn't gone so far as to censor their cartoons on any kind of release, in a newly restored state.
Cool_Cat
2020-11-10T13:50:21Z
The smoking scene you’re talking about was probably cut on Cartoon Network in the USA. Otherwise it was always there.
Ian L.
2020-11-10T14:07:15Z
Shouldn't this topic be renamed to something like "HBO Max Looney Tunes Restorations"?
nickramer
2020-11-11T03:33:52Z
I don't recall seeing or hearing about "A Sheep in the Deep" ever being edited on CN.
Mesterius
2020-11-11T10:23:51Z
Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 

Originally Posted by: Lee B 

Was this scene cut from other circulating prints? If not, then this isn't a big deal. Even WB hasn't gone so far as to censor their cartoons on any kind of release, in a newly restored state.

No, they just avoid releasing the problematic cartoons at all.
Lee B
2020-11-11T18:31:33Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

No, they just avoid releasing the problematic cartoons at all.

Agreed. It always seemed like that was the only scene potentially keeping Beanstalk Bunny on the shelf all this time. Of course, the smoking scene might NOT have been the reason that Beanstalk Bunny has been held back, (was it recently mentioned that this one is finally getting restored?) but it's about the only thing controversial (by today's standards) in that film.

As for A Sheep in the Deep, the edit is obviously really brief and minor, and doesn't take away from the story at all. As to Nickramer's question, the brief smoking shot after the lunch break was missing from Cartoon Network and Boomerang's broadcast version among others. And that has been mentioned in multiple places, including the IMDB, looneytunes.fandom.com, and the Censored Looney Tunes page from GAC that now lives here at the Intanibase to name a few. (The similar mention for ASITD at wikipedia seems to be missing now.) As this cartoon has never gotten a proper DVD or Blu release here in the US, the Boomerang and now HBOMAX streaming services are the first time in a long time that they've put it out for viewing uncut. Any time a film that was edited for broadcast and hasn't been available on DVD or Blu finally gets some type of uncut release, I consider it a win, and I'll take it.

I admit, I had captured it off air from either CN or Boomerang a few years ago, and didn't even know I was missing anything until I saw those edit pages listed above.
nickramer
2020-11-11T20:49:17Z
Just to be clear: "Beanstalk Bunny" is not on the service yet because the print that Warners had was damaged and was taking longer to restore (which they just finished). It was NOT because of the smoking scene.
Pasko
2020-11-11T23:30:57Z
Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 

Originally Posted by: Toonatic 

Something VERY important to note; Fresh Fish and The Rattled Rooster have their ORIGINAL TITLES RESTORED while Two's a Crowd has its original rings restored!!!!

So does When I Yoo Hoo, a cartoon that they gave a very odd sounding soundtrack....

Probably the worst-sounding classic cartoon soundtrack on a recent release, ridiculously muffled. They also didn't replace the 1944-45 end title.

Unfortunately, Bone, Sweet Bone was restored with Blue Ribbon titles.

Pasko
2020-11-12T21:29:31Z
Had a close look at Fresh Fish. The opening titles are slightly cut, starting on the rings without a fade-in... I started writing before figuring out that the intro's probably already online - here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_GnUvM0XgM 

The WB shield has a lot of dust (unusual for the deep scrubbing job the restorers do on these). That in combination with the music makes me think that they used a print with the first second or two cut off. Adding a fade-in and the first notes would have been an easy editing job, but not something for these title tyrants (let's call 'em that). Also, I've never seen this Merrie Melodie card before (unique In Technicolor line) and it's always nice to hear lost bits of Robert C. Bruce's voice-overs.
Pasko
2020-11-13T00:20:04Z
They didn't match up The Rattled Rooster well enough. It's off-sync a bit, noticeably in the first third of the cartoon.
CladMcClaw
2020-11-16T22:08:09Z
A few more quietly added today - The Phantom Ship, Of Thee I Sting, Leghorn Swoggled (with original rings), Zoom at the Top, plus some b&w Porky shorts and later odds and ends.