44 new WB restorations- Page 3 - Forum.
fulano7
2020-08-17T20:35:37Z
Apparently I've been able to view the new batch. There are 66 in the batch, in addition to the 293 previously available. Season 31 episodes are post-classic shorts. Total is currently 350 classic shorts plus 9 post-classic. I didn't count how many new restorations are there.

Currently available cartoons (359):

I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
tashlinfan44
2020-08-18T00:08:40Z
Originally Posted by: fulano7 

Apparently I've been able to view the new batch. There are 66 in the batch, in addition to the 293 previously available. Season 31 episodes are post-classic shorts. Total is currently 350 classic shorts plus 9 post-classic. I didn't count how many new restorations are there.

Currently available cartoons (359):



Fulano, Thanks for telling us what’s here. How did you get to see these? And do us all a favor: in The Crackpot Quail, is there a raspberry sound or a whistle sound every time the quail blows his feather?
fulano7
2020-08-18T00:22:36Z
Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 



Fulano, Thanks for telling us what’s here. How did you get to see these? And do us all a favor: in The Crackpot Quail, is there a raspberry sound or a whistle sound every time the quail blows his feather?



Oh, I just followed the link you posted in the first page. I don't have an HBO Max subscription, can't watch anything. The list just happened to appear to me through the public webpage.

Here goes the listing only with the added 66:

I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
PopKorn Kat
2020-08-18T05:06:24Z
This webpage  states that "Looney Tunes, Batch 3" is coming August 18. I assume the shorts will show up for me by tomorrow (I'm on the West Coast, and it's still the 17th as of this writing).
Jason Todd
2020-08-18T08:40:18Z
These restorations look sublime! However, I’ve noticed that many of the opening title sequences look unnaturally zoomed out. Wouldn’t it make more sense to just windowbox the title sequences, like in many of the older masters?
Ian L.
2020-08-18T12:54:53Z
They're up! (marked with NEW) I'll plan to watch some of these later.
wiley207
2020-08-18T14:58:19Z
OK, I've already watched a few of the new Looney Tunes cartoons added to HBO Max. I had closed captions on due to the noise of my fan and my computer's built-in speaker having kind of a low volume. The restorations looked great and the new additions were mostly fun. I started with "Robin Hood Makes Good," and then I watched "Hamateur Night" and "Easy Peckins'", but when I got to "Fistic Mystic" I saw a hilarious captioning error! Merlin is actually saying "Desist!" in that shot (as in "Cease and desist.") But look what the captioning interpreted it as!
Merlin's saying "Desist," not "Jesus!"
Mesterius
2020-08-18T17:07:13Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

These restorations look sublime! However, I’ve noticed that many of the opening title sequences look unnaturally zoomed out. Wouldn’t it make more sense to just windowbox the title sequences, like in many of the older masters?



Could you make a screenshot of one of these titles? I'm having trouble picturing what you mean when you say they're "unnaturally zoomed out". And personally, I'm not a big fan of windowboxed titles; they're really just an artifact of old tube TVs.
Toonatic
2020-08-18T18:20:35Z
Watching Ding Dog Daddy, the Warner Bros. Pictures part of the opening ring is missing.

It's restoration however looks wonderful.

Unfortunately, no reports on any restored original titles/rings to any Blue Ribbon reissues yet.

Jason Todd
2020-08-18T18:39:42Z
After looking at Ceiling Hero, I realized that the title cards look zoomed out because they *are* windowboxed; but the borders are invisible, instead of black. An interesting new gimmick...
PopKorn Kat
2020-08-18T20:50:06Z
For those of you wanting an image of an "unnaturally-zoomed-out" title, Thad Komorowski has provided a screenshot  of the opening of "Boulevardier from the Bronx"...'tis a shame, because the colors are otherwise gorgeous. There may be other issues I haven't noticed, but I'm not the one dealing in 35mm prints of these 'toons. 😛
fulano7
2020-08-18T21:39:31Z
Recreated titles.... That's why they look weird
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
Ian L.
2020-08-19T01:25:10Z
The icon for Double or Mutton shows the one for Easy Peckins instead.
Jason Todd
2020-08-19T04:47:58Z
The cartoons, themselves, look absolutely gorgeous. But I’m really curious as to why WB saw fit to produce fake recreations for the opening and closing tags. Did the film elements deteriorate to the point where they couldn’t be used?
FoxInAFix
2020-08-19T06:38:04Z
I Wish I had Wings misses almost all of the dialogue.... Even when singing. That's a bad mess-up.
PopKorn Kat
2020-08-19T07:07:22Z
Originally Posted by: FoxInAFix 

I Wish I had Wings misses almost all of the dialogue.... Even when singing. That's a bad mess-up.



Just checked and...yikes. I have no idea how that slipped past quality control.

I have a theory (and this is merely speculation; don't go touting this around as fact) that this "voiceless" track was created for international dubbing. I remember the 1943 short "Hop & Go" succumbed to a similar issue on Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 6 where stock music cues were placed over the dialogue track.

I hope this is rectified ASAP. I had really high hopes for these restorations, but this sadly seems to be a trend - good picture quality, but annoying snafus.
tashlinfan44
2020-08-19T16:31:43Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

Originally Posted by: FoxInAFix 

I Wish I had Wings misses almost all of the dialogue.... Even when singing. That's a bad mess-up.



Just checked and...yikes. I have no idea how that slipped past quality control.

I have a theory (and this is merely speculation; don't go touting this around as fact) that this "voiceless" track was created for international dubbing. I remember the 1943 short "Hop & Go" succumbed to a similar issue on Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 6 where stock music cues were placed over the dialogue track.

I hope this is rectified ASAP. I had really high hopes for these restorations, but this sadly seems to be a trend - good picture quality, but annoying snafus.



Well, that is a nice theory, but there is still some dialogue in the soundtrack, so...
Mesterius
2020-08-19T16:53:56Z
Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 

Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

Originally Posted by: FoxInAFix 

I Wish I had Wings misses almost all of the dialogue.... Even when singing. That's a bad mess-up.



Just checked and...yikes. I have no idea how that slipped past quality control.

I have a theory (and this is merely speculation; don't go touting this around as fact) that this "voiceless" track was created for international dubbing. I remember the 1943 short "Hop & Go" succumbed to a similar issue on Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 6 where stock music cues were placed over the dialogue track.

I hope this is rectified ASAP. I had really high hopes for these restorations, but this sadly seems to be a trend - good picture quality, but annoying snafus.



Well, that is a nice theory, but there is still some dialogue in the soundtrack, so...



When you think about it, though... it might be that someone used the voiceless Music & Effects track for part of the restored HD version's audio, because they thought the M&E track sounded better -- not realizing that they were omitting huge chunks of dialogue and song by using it.

Similar (though not identical) mistakes have happened with some Disney restorations. On the first Blu-ray edition of Pinocchio, Jiminy Cricket's line "Right!" during the song number "Give a Little Whistle" was mistakenly left out because Disney had restored the audio using separate elements of the music and dialogue -- forgetting that a bit of dialogue was heard during that song.
wiley207
2020-08-20T13:52:56Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

For those of you wanting an image of an "unnaturally-zoomed-out" title, Thad Komorowski has provided a screenshot  of the opening of "Boulevardier from the Bronx"...'tis a shame, because the colors are otherwise gorgeous. There may be other issues I haven't noticed, but I'm not the one dealing in 35mm prints of these 'toons. :p



Yeah, I noticed that too; looks like they took the stills of the opening and closing titles and then modified them in Photoshop or whatever. But the shield zoom animations appear to be original though (it's worth noting how prior to the mid-1940s, the first half of the shield zoom would be hand-drawn frame-by-frame, then the second half it would look like a camera zoomed up to the shield.)
When I got to both the Seven Arts-era shorts, the "Abstract W7" opening logo appeared to be unaltered, probably due to the "Abstract" logo sequences having lots more animation than the classic "bullseye" logos, but the closing title had that unnaturally zoomed out look to it though.
MTGM
2020-08-20T21:13:03Z
Some of the new restorations seem to have been removed since they've been added. The ones I've noticed are:

I Like Mountain Music
Mr. and Mrs. is the Name
Billboard Frolics
I Only Have Eyes for You
Egghead Rides Again
The Penguin Parade
Hamateur Night
Ding Dog Daddy

Unsure of whether this is a glitch or not but I'm hoping they will be back.
Since it wasn't mentioned before, the 1942 cartoon Double Chaser is also amongst the new restorations that were added on the 18th, it's season 8 episode 27.
Similar Topics
Users browsing this topic