44 new WB restorations- Page 2 - Forum.
DerekS
2020-08-11T23:56:12Z
I remember being so excited when I first saw those remasters on MAX. I told my friends all about it and I was progressively losing my mind. After posting several pictures of the remasters, someone on the Looney Tunes wiki questioned if the leaked pics were legitimate, so I took pics of MAX for them. I had no idea they would go this viral, as when I posted those I was under the impression that they were on MAX already.
Cheers,
Derek.
tashlinfan44
2020-08-12T02:23:53Z
Originally Posted by: DerekS 

I remember being so excited when I first saw those remasters on MAX. I told my friends all about it and I was progressively losing my mind. After posting several pictures of the remasters, someone on the Looney Tunes wiki questioned if the leaked pics were legitimate, so I took pics of MAX for them. I had no idea they would go this viral, as when I posted those I was under the impression that they were on MAX already.

Ohhhh, you were talking to me. Little Chrissy Fan. Yeah, I had found out that you were the dude who had posted the photos and instantly got into contact with you. Spread the word with my pals, and now the news is all over the fandom! VIRAL STUFF! All thanks to you for those photos, and me for spreading the word to Jerry Beck, Devon, Thad, Larry T, Dave Mackey, and Greg Method (the bugs bunny video guide)!
Leviathan
2020-08-12T15:25:56Z
Per Jon Cooke (on the Bugs Video Guide FB page), a couple more have surfaced

Moonlight For Two
The Country Boy
My Green Fedora
Into Your Dance
The Gay Anties
tashlinfan44
2020-08-12T16:50:34Z
I’ve got a strategy. The cartoons are numbered, and put in order according to release date. All you have to do is take a gap, find the cartoons released in-between that time, and you can find out what cartoons will be coming!

For example: For 1943, Super Rabbit is numbered #6 and Jack Wabbit is numbered #9. That means that there are 2 more cartoons coming. 3 cartoons were released in between that time: The Wise Quacking Duck, Tokio Jokio, and Greetings Bait. I’ll bet you can guess which one of those will be left out 😉. So therefore, we can predict that Greetings Bait will be out and restored soon!

Here, you try. This strategy also guarantees us that we will see Book Revue and Kitty Kornered soon!

MISTAKE: We might actually be getting The Unbearable Bear as one of the 4. It, too, was released in between Super and Jack Wabbit.
fulano7
2020-08-12T16:58:49Z
Very nice! I know the classic cartoons fanbase is eager to see more Bosko shorts and early Harman-Ising stuff, I mean no disrespect, but I'm not eager to see Bosko. My wish would be all 1000 classic shorts in a glorious set, but if we can't have it for now and if we have to set priorities, then I got really excited to see shorts like Elmer's Pet Rabbit, and I know these aren't favorites but I got particularly excited to see Don't Axe Me and D'Fightin' Ones.

That's because I'm particularly fond of the 50s and 60s I grew up watching: the TV channel I watched aired more of those shorts, including the infamous Speedy+Daffy pairings, lol. They aren't the greatest, and I know they aren't the appropriate priority for home video releases and restoration - best LT stuff is from the 1940s actually. But it's just my personal taste, 1950s and 1960s are my favorites.

I'm looking forward to see more restored Foghorn Leghorn, Tweety and Road Runner from the 1950s and 1960s, the shorts from this period aren't so problematic in regards to un-PC content and I have very fond memories with them. Henhouse Henery isn't exactly from the 1950s (it's precisely from 1949) but is a very important Foghorn short that could have been in LTGC and has never been restored. It's one I'm also very anxious to see restored in HBO Max or a future blu-ray release.

Current Warner LT/MM restoration balance:

I Love Tweety Japanese NTSC restored DVDs (2001) = 14 not available anywhere else in home video
LTGC = 359 restored shorts (356 in the regular program and 3 bonus restored in volume 6)
Warner Bros. HE Academy Awards Animation Collection = 7 newly restored to DVD
LTSS = 100 newly restored to DVD, not counting the post-classic Road Runners
Essential Daffy Duck = 1 newly restored to DVD (Porky's Duck Hunt)
LTPC = 20 not available anywhere else in home video
Mouse Chronicles = 15 not available anywhere else in home video
Bugs Bunny 80 = 32 newly restored, not available anywhere else in home video
... totalling 548 (pretty impressive comparing with other libraries, not so much considering 1000 is the total).
HBO Max = (?) still counting...

- I'm considering only the 1000 classic shorts, (not counting So Much For So Little and others), not counting Porky Pig 101 (because those have been restored from interpositives);
- and yes I'm counting with the low-pitched LTGC vol. 1 restorations, the Superstars cropped shorts (sooner or later they will all surface in full-frame), and I'm ignoring restoration/encoding issues (wrong music cues, DVNR...).
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
DerekS
2020-08-12T18:59:57Z
Just posted pics of the 3 new 1935 remasters on the LT Wiki. I also tried looking for The Gay Anties, but it's not there for some reason. In fact, when I refreshed, all of the 1935 remasters disappeared too.

EDIT: Never mind. I found The Gay Anties, too.
Cheers,
Derek.
Leviathan
2020-08-12T21:28:12Z
You also have to figure a bunch of the cartoons that were only restored in SD, not HD. The cartoons on the I Love Tweety discs, half the shorts on the first Golden Collection, and maybe a smattering of shorts on the second and third.

It looks like, based on the new HBO Max uploads, those will slowly be redone as well.
DerekS
2020-08-12T22:47:46Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

You also have to figure a bunch of the cartoons that were only restored in SD, not HD. The cartoons on the I Love Tweety discs, half the shorts on the first Golden Collection, and maybe a smattering of shorts on the second and third.

It looks like, based on the new HBO Max uploads, those will slowly be redone as well.

I noticed that too. The transfer of Big Top Bunny looks brand new.
Cheers,
Derek.
tashlinfan44
2020-08-12T23:59:40Z
Originally Posted by: DerekS 

I noticed that too. The transfer of Big Top Bunny looks brand new.

Looks like the transfer for Big House Bunny is new as well.
2020-08-13T01:09:19Z
This is pretty awesome news, but I'm a little puzzled by Jerry's response. What he describes sounds like their massive 8K preservation project reported on some time back. Apparently they're scanning every scrap of film in their entire catalog, live action or animation, in 8K as part of preservation/asset protection. But why would they be restoring everything too? That takes much more time and money.

Either way, if they're restoring the LT/MMs then that means home video is possible for those cartoons someday. Even if not the near future. If it's all the LT/MMs, then it can potentially be a complete Blu-ray set. That's what my fingers are crossed for anyway.
Leviathan
2020-08-13T01:31:07Z
Originally Posted by: Traveling Matt 

This is pretty awesome news, but I'm a little puzzled by Jerry's response. What he describes sounds like their massive 8K preservation project reported on some time back. Apparently they're scanning every scrap of film in their entire catalog, live action or animation, in 8K as part of preservation/asset protection. But why would they be restoring everything too? That takes much more time and money.

HBO Max is taking an active part of the restorations. Restoring those scans ensures that they'll have a steady stream of new content for years to come.

It's a pretty dramatic change from before, when WB wouldn't scan a frame of film, let alone restore if, if they couldn't justify a home video release.

2020-08-13T01:53:02Z

Originally Posted by: Traveling Matt 

HBO Max is taking an active part of the restorations. Restoring those scans ensures that they'll have a steady stream of new content for years to come.

It's a pretty dramatic change from before, when WB wouldn't scan a frame of film, let alone restore if, if they couldn't justify a home video release.

But Jerry calls it an "assets project" with many cartoons not being available in any format. It doesn't sound like a happy streaming accident with HBO Max getting dibs because they toss some money. It sounds like something more here.
nickramer
2020-08-13T01:58:27Z
Originally Posted by: fulano7 

Very nice! I know the classic cartoons fanbase is eager to see more Bosko shorts and early Harman-Ising stuff, I mean no disrespect, but I'm not eager to see Bosko.

I'm not exactly sure if the Bosko shorts will be on there considering what he is suppose to be (it becomes more evident later in the MGM shorts when he gets redesigned and de-aged as a realistic kid).
Justin Delbert
2020-08-13T22:25:42Z
I may be speaking out of school, but considering the titles announced possibly coming, I wonder if since thy have been curating the old movies, TCM had something to do with the cartoons coming to Max.
tashlinfan44
2020-08-13T22:30:17Z
Originally Posted by: Justin Delbert 

I may be speaking out of school, but considering the titles announced possibly coming, I wonder if since thy have been curating the old movies, TCM had something to do with the cartoons coming to Max.

Nah, pretty sure this is all Warners’ doing. They’re doing that huge 8K preservation project, remember?
tashlinfan44
2020-08-15T05:07:43Z
At least one more is gonna come out in HD - “It’s an Ill Wind” (1939). Not a great cartoon, but hey! New restorations, so....can’t complain.

Image isn’t showing up for me on the page, but it is for some other people. See the tweet below for evidence:
https://twitter.com/c_a_...1294500099729620993?s=21 
epidicus
2020-08-15T05:28:14Z
unless you access HBO via Amazon Firestick - Then you're stuck paying the same amount for 1/18 the content-*( and no Looney Tunes)
nickramer
2020-08-15T14:26:58Z
So about how many Looney Tunes will be added on Tuesday?
FoxInAFix
2020-08-15T14:33:40Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

So about how many Looney Tunes will be added on Tuesday?

Probably 60.
Leviathan
2020-08-15T23:36:46Z
Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 

At least one more is gonna come out in HD - “It’s an Ill Wind” (1939). Not a great cartoon, but hey! New restorations, so....can’t complain.

Image isn’t showing up for me on the page, but it is for some other people. See the tweet below for evidence:
https://twitter.com/c_a_...1294500099729620993?s=21 

Curious about that. The screen isn't nearly as washed out as the copy on Porky Pig 101, but that doesn't preclude them taking the Porky 101 transfer and just cleaning it up like they apparently did with Porky and Daffy.