Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection!!!- Page 2 - Forum.
Blob55
2020-12-05T22:32:51Z
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat 

The worst by far in terms of DVNR artifacts is Fast and Furry Ous, but What's Up Doc and Long Haired Hare are close ones too. I don't see much of it in Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears or Tortoise Wins by a Hare for an example.

In terms of Golden Collection, right? What's the worst case of DVNR on the Bugs Bunny 80th anniversary set?

The issue with using DVNR on HD restorations of shorts, is that you can see it even more, so it looks even worse.
Gilition
2020-12-06T00:59:11Z
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat 

I'll answer you all on What's Up Doc.

The first Golden Collection transfers (and I'm talking about those made for it and not the recycled SD only shorts from late 90s compilations) have different dust & dirt fix in the HD version compared to the SD one, and in most cases the HD versions lack the overscan borders on the titles.

The worst by far in terms of DVNR artifacts is Fast and Furry Ous, but What's Up Doc and Long Haired Hare are close ones too. I don't see much of it in Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears or Tortoise Wins by a Hare for an example.

From the second volume the SD versions (used in DVDs and some broadcasts) were derived directly from the HD versions. They went as far as making directly derived SD versions from the HD versions of the GC1 transfers later.

I have no idea if these transfers made somewhere in 2002/2003 were already 2K or 4K or less, they're all available in 1080p.

Bugs Bunny and Three Bears is DVNR Free but Tortoise Wins by a Hare has loads of it
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Blob55
2020-12-06T16:05:24Z
Shorts with Audio Commentaries

Disc 1:
Elmer's Candid Camera
A Wild Hare
Hold the Lion, Please
Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid
Super-Rabbit
What's Cookin, Doc?
Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears
Hare Ribbin'
The Old Grey Hare
Baseball Bugs
Hair-Raising Hare
Bugs Bunny Rides Again
Haredevil Hare
What's Up Doc?
8 Ball Bunny

Disc 2:
Rabbit of Seville
Rabbit Every Monday
The Fair Haired Hare
Rabbit Fire
Lumber Jack-Rabbit
Baby Buggy Bunny
What's Opera, Doc?

Disc 3:
Show Biz Bugs
Knighty Knight Bugs
Rabbit's Feat
From Hare to Heir
False Hare
(Blooper) Bunny!

Bolded = new
Ian L.
2020-12-06T20:17:31Z
No new music only audio tracks, sadly, but I'm not surprised. Frankly, we were lucky to get as many as we did during the GC days.
Toonatic
  • Toonatic
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2020-12-06T23:29:15Z
So, should we take action on these recreated titles or leave well enough alone?

Honestly, I don't like the idea of taking of restoring ONE frame and (when it comes to the opening rings) using photoshop just because it's cheaper. It pays to do the WHOLE job.
Kristjan
2020-12-08T15:03:17Z
Originally Posted by: fulano7 

There are 32 newly restored/new-to-disc shorts in the set, 13 that have been previously released in bluray (HD repeats) and 15 previously restored being upgraded to HD in physical media for the first time (some of them are already available in HD at streaming platofrms).

I have very mixed feelings about this set and my verdict is to wait for a sale or funko-less edition.

On the one hand, I liked the number of new restorations (32) and liked the content overall.

On the other hand, I think the set is overpriced. For 60 cartoons I'd expect at most $60.

I feel like Warner really should change the way they release LT/MM stuff. For God's sake, go comprehensive. LT/MM releases have been ridiculously chaotic and disrespectful with what the fans most want: new-to-disc shorts. WHV doesn't emphasize on new-to-disc shorts anymore. Only Jerry Beck and the collectors look forward for new restorations and actually care about knowing which shorts are newly restored.

Ever since LTGC ended, on every LT release, fans, collectors and specialized websites have to painstakingly research:
which are new restored transfers,
which are double-dips,
which are HD upgrades taken from pre-existing LTGC HD-restored transfers,
which are cropped to widescreen,
which are corrected full-frame versions of previously cropped shorts,
which are restored from interpositives (PP101),
and a new, unfortunate trend: which aren't restored at all (Stars of Space Jam, Parodies...).
What's more: Warner does this in purpose, so that a regular customer doesn't care about anything above, while the collectors and fans are going to buy anyways because they care about rare, new-to-disc content that is mixed in the bag.

You probably have alrady 1001 or so cartoons a cross every main LT/MM DVD/Blu-ray release the problem is that many of them are double and tripple dips.
nickramer
2020-12-08T15:33:04Z
Originally Posted by: fulano7 

There are 32 newly restored/new-to-disc shorts in the set, 13 that have been previously released in bluray (HD repeats) and 15 previously restored being upgraded to HD in physical media for the first time (some of them are already available in HD at streaming platofrms).

I have very mixed feelings about this set and my verdict is to wait for a sale or funko-less edition.

On the one hand, I liked the number of new restorations (32) and liked the content overall.

On the other hand, I think the set is overpriced. For 60 cartoons I'd expect at most $60.

I feel like Warner really should change the way they release LT/MM stuff. For God's sake, go comprehensive. LT/MM releases have been ridiculously chaotic and disrespectful with what the fans most want: new-to-disc shorts. WHV doesn't emphasize on new-to-disc shorts anymore. Only Jerry Beck and the collectors look forward for new restorations and actually care about knowing which shorts are newly restored.

Ever since LTGC ended, on every LT release, fans, collectors and specialized websites have to painstakingly research:
which are new restored transfers,
which are double-dips,
which are HD upgrades taken from pre-existing LTGC HD-restored transfers,
which are cropped to widescreen,
which are corrected full-frame versions of previously cropped shorts,
which are restored from interpositives (PP101),
and a new, unfortunate trend: which aren't restored at all (Stars of Space Jam, Parodies...).
What's more: Warner does this in purpose, so that a regular customer doesn't care about anything above, while the collectors and fans are going to buy anyways because they care about rare, new-to-disc content that is mixed in the bag.

Do you really expect them to released stuff like the Censored 11 shorts especially with what's going on in the world now?
Blob55
2020-12-08T17:39:32Z
From what I can tell, there's around 200 shorts that haven't been put on DVD, HBO Max or Blu-Ray.
Gilition
2020-12-11T16:59:17Z
So It's been a week and I must say, I'm pretty upset that the Bluray uses transfers from HBO Max. Not only are the titles recreated with photoshop, but there a distinct lack of grain. This is especially noticeable in "His Hare Raising Tale" where the cartoons that are reused in it, appear earlier in the set

His Hare Raising Tale

Baseball Bugs

His Hare Raising Tale

Haredevil Hare
Blob55
2020-12-11T18:21:24Z
Ugh, really makes what they say about keeping the grain because it's a part of the picture in LTGC special features, seem REALLY hypocritical.
Toonatic
  • Toonatic
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2020-12-11T18:50:12Z
The bring it to Jerry's attention on Stu's Show.

Maybe that's what all of us should do.
Leviathan
2020-12-11T20:08:30Z
He says he had little if any involvement with it, and I don't think he cares too much about this particular release. He's happily plugging Tex Avery 2 and Puppetoons 2 on his Facebook page, but he hasn't said a peep about this.

In fact, if you do bring it to his attention on Stu's Show, he'll probably put a dismissive happy face on the whole debacle like Porky 101.
nickramer
2020-12-12T05:32:14Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

In fact, if you do bring it to his attention on Stu's Show, he'll probably put a dismissive happy face on the whole debacle like Porky 101.

Ever heard of the term "Middle Men"? That's something you need to keep in mind on these releases. He mentioned this in the past. Remember, this isn't Thunderbean we are dealing with.
Ian L.
2020-12-12T13:56:01Z
Jerry might not have been heavily involved in the release, but he did write the commemorative note included in it. And let's not forget, he is pretty much the reason why the set wasn't full of triple/quadruple dips from previous releases.
Mesterius
2020-12-12T14:07:58Z
Originally Posted by: Gilition 

So It's been a week and I must say, I'm pretty upset that the Bluray uses transfers from HBO Max. Not only are the titles recreated with photoshop, but there a distinct lack of grain. This is especially noticeable in "His Hare Raising Tale" where the cartoons that are reused in it, appear earlier in the set

His Hare Raising Tale

Baseball Bugs

His Hare Raising Tale

Haredevil Hare

Sigh. So, how many cartoons are lacking grain? I am tempted to get this due to how many shorts are new to disc, but this stuff is annoying.
Bradskey
2020-12-27T04:27:35Z
Got this one for Christmas and I plan to enjoy it over my holiday break, while finishing Tex Avery Vol. 2.
Marshall
2020-12-30T19:57:14Z
Hi everyone,

My review of the Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection box set was published online last night. I didn't focus on the technical difficulties,
as mentioned here. My idea was to mention the content and characters more. I do like the fact that 47 of the cartoons in the set are new to Blu-ray etc. I don't have HBO Max yet. So as a Blu-ray collector, these shorts were new to me.

The link to the web review/article is below.

Happy new year,
Marshall

Review of Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Blu-ray box set 
Bradskey
2021-01-02T04:52:09Z
In watching this set I got to Old Grey Hare, a personal favorite. Somehow I’ve never consciously noticed (or long ago forgot) during the grave digging scene that Elmer (Arthur Q. Brian) is bawling/crying the melody of Schumann’s Traumerei along with the music, which is just freaking hilarious. 😂
FoxInAFix
2021-01-05T19:45:25Z
I ordered my set from Zavvi UK. It was supposedly sent to me late november, but it still hasn't arrived at my home in the Netherlands..
Gilition
2021-01-07T18:08:40Z
Originally Posted by: FoxInAFix 

I ordered my set from Zavvi UK. It was supposedly sent to me late november, but it still hasn't arrived at my home in the Netherlands..

With this being released by the standard Warner Home Video department, I'm surprised this hasn't released anywhere else outside the US like other sets. Hope gets released out side of the US one day so other can enjoy Racketeer Rabbit in HD