Leviathan
2020-10-14T01:05:16Z
Panel on the upcoming Flintstones set, with clips of new restoration. Does something seem to be off about the colors and lack of grain?

anonymuos
2020-10-15T08:32:56Z
Originally Posted by: Gnik_LJN 

According to Devon Baxtor's Twitter, new "restored" scans of "Downhearted Duckling" and "Designs on Jerry" are on Amazon Prime. Clips are floating around on the internet now.

Thank you for this useful bit of info.
Gilition
2020-11-06T18:32:45Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 

Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat 

It's clear they didn't have budgets, so they heavily used automatic dirt removal tools, which again is linked to that weird color correction you'd see in the later WB releases, and this time I see damage to the animation too.

As for the color correction looking like that, it's because they intentionally forced every color to be in a certain range where the automated dirt removal works without damaging too much the picture. This time it looks like they didn't do anything manual, because I see a lot of dirt only in the scenes with lots of motion.

its a shame theyre still doing this. they looked crap then, and they look crap now. wouldve settled for completely untouched scans and let us correct it ourselves, lol

Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski 

"Cool_Cat", thanks for being the voice of reason for why a lot of these new transfers don't fly. I sincerely hope the DVNR'ed Tex Avery cartoons are placeholders and not indicative of what gets ultimately used on hard media.

considering warner archive's good track record on blu-ray, i doubt it. feltenstein brags so much about not scrubbing grain and cel dust and referencing tech prints, i feel theres no chance theres gonna be this awful color correction on the next blu set

Still, though, WAC's first Popeye Blu-ray had DVNR erasing parts of the animated action in a scene where Popeye is polishing his shoes in Puppet Love:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Wasn't Just Popeye. Tex Avery volume 1 also has some DVNR on a good chunk of the cartoons. It's mostly only noticeable if you freeze frame but sometimes you can see if you look in the right places, like on Red Hot Rangers when George is about to kick Junior for the first time, his foot just disappears.
DVNR on Red Hot Hot Rangers
DVNR on Bad Luck Blackie
Mesterius
2020-11-06T19:44:30Z
Originally Posted by: Gilition 

It's clear they didn't have budgets, so they heavily used automatic dirt removal tools, which again is linked to that weird color correction you'd see in the later WB releases, and this time I see damage to the animation too.

As for the color correction looking like that, it's because they intentionally forced every color to be in a certain range where the automated dirt removal works without damaging too much the picture. This time it looks like they didn't do anything manual, because I see a lot of dirt only in the scenes with lots of motion.

its a shame theyre still doing this. they looked crap then, and they look crap now. wouldve settled for completely untouched scans and let us correct it ourselves, lol

"Cool_Cat", thanks for being the voice of reason for why a lot of these new transfers don't fly. I sincerely hope the DVNR'ed Tex Avery cartoons are placeholders and not indicative of what gets ultimately used on hard media.

considering warner archive's good track record on blu-ray, i doubt it. feltenstein brags so much about not scrubbing grain and cel dust and referencing tech prints, i feel theres no chance theres gonna be this awful color correction on the next blu set

Still, though, WAC's first Popeye Blu-ray had DVNR erasing parts of the animated action in a scene where Popeye is polishing his shoes in Puppet Love:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Wasn't Just Popeye. Tex Avery volume 1 also has some DVNR on a good chunk of the cartoons. It's mostly only noticeable if you freeze frame but sometimes you can see if you look in the right places, like on Red Hot Rangers when George is about to kick Junior for the first time, his foot just disappears.
DVNR on Bad Luck Blackie

Sigh... :/ I'm glad Warner Archive is doing restored cartoon sets now, but will these releases EVER be free of problems like these?
Gilition
2020-11-06T19:54:48Z
Speaking of Avery, WAC announced yesterday that volume 2 will be coming out with Jerry Beck stating on FB it comes out the 1st of December (the same day as the Bugs Bunny Bluray).It comes with 21 cartoons which are:
1 LITTLE RURAL RIDING HOOD
2 THE CUCKOO CLOCK
3 MAGICAL MAESTRO
4 ONE CAB’S FAMILY
5 CAT THAT HATED PEOPLE
6 DOGGONE TIRED
7 THE FLEA CIRCUS
8 FIELD AND SCREAM
9 THE FIRST BAD MAN
10 OUT FOXED
11 DROOPY’S DOUBLE TROUBLE
12 THREE LITTLE PUPS
13 DRAGALONG DROOPY
14 HOMESTEADER DROOPY
15 DIXIELAND DROOPY
16 COUNTERFEIT CAT
17 VENTRILOQUIST CAT
18 HOUSE OF TOMORROW
19 CAR OF TOMORROW
20 TV OF TOMORROW
21 FARM OF TOMORROW
I still think it's weird that Happy Go Nutty is nowhere to be seen but overall, this is a great time to be an animation fan and I'm super excited.
Cover
Rural
Menu

Gilition
2020-11-06T20:02:48Z

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

DVNR on Bad Luck Blackie

Sigh... :/ I'm glad Warner Archive is doing restored cartoon sets now, but will these releases EVER be free of problems like these?

The last few sets I can think of that didn't have problems like these in the past decade to my knowledge has been The T&J Golden Collection Volume 1, The Mouse Chronicles: The Chuck Jones Collection and Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume 3
Gilition
2020-11-06T23:36:34Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

I'll probably sound too nitpicky, but I ended up having some of the new transfers and I have to say they do not look that good, especially with MGM shorts.

I know it's nowhere as bad as some of the Turner remasters of the 90s when anything that moves got deleted, but these days this shouldn't happen:

UserPostedImage

It's also very noticeable in Hic Cup Pup.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Another huge complaint I have to give is how instead of scanning the optical audio track, they grabbed the audio from whatever television master they had and applied heavy noise removal filters. It's much worse than when this has been done in the past, especially in Hold the Lion Please.

I'll correct another person who posted here before. Chicken Jitters and The Blow Out are the Porky Pig 101 transfers (badly) cleaned out. They went as far as freezing frame the titles and adding fake grain on top of it, and I have no idea how THIS got past quality testing:

UserPostedImage

The positive side is a couple Bugs Bunny cartoons had their original titles restored.

I'm not saying these cartoons are unwatchable this way, but it's clear they just wanted to get these out just to meet their HD standards on the new platform. I personally prefer a lot more the previous SD material than anything they remastered in the past 8 years.

As good as most of these new remasters look, the lack of dirt-removal present in many of the MGM cartoons comes across, to me, as HD raw scans, not full-blown restorations.

Assuming the original nitrate materials still exist for the post-1951 shorts, did WB at least go back to the negatives? Or are these all transferred from second-generation interpositives?

Seems like they tried to fix some of the DVNR. When you see these transfers now, they don't look nearly as bad as they did when HBO Max launched. Though the color correction on Ventriloquist Cat is still pretty piss poor and most transfers still uses turner audio. Infact, Ventriloquist looks worse than the turner version. I hope to god this is fixed in volume 2
UserPostedImage
Turner Print:
UserPostedImage
HBO Max print:
UserPostedImage
Mesterius
2020-11-08T01:03:34Z

Speaking of Avery, WAC announced yesterday that volume 2 will be coming out with Jerry Beck stating on FB it comes out the 1st of December (the same day as the Bugs Bunny Bluray).It comes with 21 cartoons which are:
2 THE CUCKOO CLOCK
3 MAGICAL MAESTRO
4 ONE CAB’S FAMILY
5 CAT THAT HATED PEOPLE
6 DOGGONE TIRED
7 THE FLEA CIRCUS
8 FIELD AND SCREAM
9 THE FIRST BAD MAN
10 OUT FOXED
12 THREE LITTLE PUPS
13 DRAGALONG DROOPY
14 HOMESTEADER DROOPY
15 DIXIELAND DROOPY
16 COUNTERFEIT CAT
17 VENTRILOQUIST CAT
18 HOUSE OF TOMORROW
19 CAR OF TOMORROW
20 TV OF TOMORROW
21 FARM OF TOMORROW
I still think it's weird that Happy Go Nutty is nowhere to be seen but overall, this is a great time to be an animation fan and I'm super excited.
Cover
Rural
Menu

Ah, framegrabs from Jerry Beck's Facebook page , I see.
Gilition
2020-11-08T04:20:16Z

2 THE CUCKOO CLOCK
3 MAGICAL MAESTRO
4 ONE CAB’S FAMILY
5 CAT THAT HATED PEOPLE
6 DOGGONE TIRED
7 THE FLEA CIRCUS
8 FIELD AND SCREAM
9 THE FIRST BAD MAN
10 OUT FOXED
12 THREE LITTLE PUPS
13 DRAGALONG DROOPY
14 HOMESTEADER DROOPY
15 DIXIELAND DROOPY
16 COUNTERFEIT CAT
17 VENTRILOQUIST CAT
18 HOUSE OF TOMORROW
19 CAR OF TOMORROW
20 TV OF TOMORROW
21 FARM OF TOMORROW
Cover
Rural
Menu

Ah, framegrabs from Jerry Beck's Facebook page , I see.

yep!
Gilition
2020-11-18T00:36:36Z
I've seen one or two people say this before but has anyone else notice the yellow tint on most of the Tex Avery restorations? Some are really only noticeable when you compare but some are noticeable just by looking at the cartoons or on big screens.
Droopy Transfer

Restored

Red unrestored

Red Restored

Really the only one I can think of that has a bluer tint is The Screwy Truant, while Who Killed Who seems to be more green.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
I'm not trying to complain (I love these to bits) but I'm just curious if anyone else can see this or is it just me.
Mesterius
2020-11-24T14:41:07Z

I've seen one or two people say this before but has anyone else notice the yellow tint on most of the Tex Avery restorations? Some are really only noticeable when you compare but some are noticeable just by looking at the cartoons or on big screens.
Droopy Transfer

Restored

Red unrestored

Red Restored

Really the only one I can think of that has a bluer tint is The Screwy Truant, while Who Killed Who seems to be more green.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
I'm not trying to complain (I love these to bits) but I'm just curious if anyone else can see this or is it just me.

I've definitely noticed stuff like this on some titles. It seems they've had trouble with color correction on some of the sources. In some cases, the opening titles have also looked rather over-saturated while the cartoon itself looked fine.
Jason Todd
2021-05-30T18:29:02Z
My apologies for bumping an otherwise dead thread, but...

Any word on when we can expect new batches of MGM/WB cartoons to appear on HBO Max?
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-05-31T12:40:13Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

My apologies for bumping an otherwise dead thread, but...

Any word on when we can expect new batches of MGM/WB cartoons to appear on HBO Max?

No official word at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if they added more shorts closer to the release of the new Space Jam movie.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-06-18T12:31:59Z
Some news while we hold out for a bigger batch:
AppleTV added "Boston Quackie" restored to their lineup of Looney Tunes! They also added "A Mouse Divided" with an HD picture but it still redirects to the 1998 print, though the color field on the HD print is much larger! Here's some pictures A Mouse Divided thumbnailBoston Quackie on AppleTV
Ian L.
2021-06-23T22:00:21Z
I took a look at the video preview for Boston Quackie and it still has the muddy (Turner?) print. So maybe just the image preview changed?
Jason Todd
2021-06-24T04:25:26Z
Originally Posted by: Ian L. 

I took a look at the video preview for Boston Quackie and it still has the muddy (Turner?) print. So maybe just the image preview changed?

Boston Quackie is a post-1948 cartoon. Turner never had ownership of the post-‘48 Looney Tunes catalogue.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-06-24T05:16:37Z
I can send you the restored Boston Quackie, I can assure you it was on there restored at some point, and my friend captured it if you want it. Send me a message if so
snowpeck
2021-06-27T05:21:18Z
Originally Posted by: S. C. MacPeter 

I can send you the restored Boston Quackie, I can assure you it was on there restored at some point, and my friend captured it if you want it. Send me a message if so

The restored Boston Quackie is available for purchase on Amazon (as part of the Daffy Duck entry in the Stars of Space Jam series). For some reason about five or six cartoons in that series are HD now, but most are still SD.

S. C. MacPeter
2021-06-30T18:20:13Z
With HBO Max launching in Latin America yesterday I'm surprised to hear a few differences in the Looney Tunes lineup there, including:

Stooge for a Mouse
A Mouse Divided
Mixed Master

The rest have been seen on MeTV or on Itunes, or are previously restored. As far as I know only cartoons from the 1950s (and 49)have differences
nickramer
2021-07-01T02:30:31Z
The Looney Tunes Facebook group (which Jerry is a moderator of) revealed that some Speedy Gonzales shorts (from the Termite Terrence era) might be added on HBO Max LA.