Duck Dodgers
2020-02-20T19:16:05Z
https://www.wbshop.com/c...collection-volume-1-bd-1 

Sad news if it is like I think (the same release of years ago).
I would love to see restorations with the same quality level of the Tex Avery shorts.

Hope to hear more soon but I'm pretty sure it is the same release
Mesterius
2020-02-20T19:26:17Z
Originally Posted by: Duck Dodgers 

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-pre-orders/products/tom-jerry-golden-collection-volume-1-bd-1

I would love to see restorations with the same quality level of the Tex Avery shorts.

It's obviously a straight repressing, like tons of other WAC re-releases of old Warner home Video sets. The reason is that the retail set went out of print a short while ago.

But the majority of cartoons on that set look gorgeous. The only problem are the ten cartoons which are sourced from inferior-looking TV negatives, which Thad listed in his review .
Leviathan
2020-02-20T19:58:18Z
On the Stu's Show before the first color Popeye set hit, Jerry indicated that the WHV Family department had full control over Tom and Jerry and only they could put out the shorts on home video.

If the Warner Archive is the one putting this out, do they have Tom and Jerry now?
Duck Dodgers
2020-02-20T21:04:44Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-pre-orders/products/tom-jerry-golden-collection-volume-1-bd-1

It's obviously a straight repressing, like tons of other WAC re-releases of old Warner home Video sets. The reason is that the retail set went out of print a short while ago.

But the majority of cartoons on that set look gorgeous. The only problem are the ten cartoons which are sourced from inferior-looking TV negatives, which Thad listed in his review .

Yes, they are among their best shorts.....and they look very good in the laserdisc set.
raginggoodfella
2020-02-20T21:12:11Z
Maybe they can include MOUSE CLEANING if it’s not longer controllled by the family division. It would be worth a double dip, triple dip, and whatever the count is for these T&J shorts.
Mesterius
2020-02-20T21:22:32Z
I can't believe this rumor about Warner Archive suddenly "having Tom and Jerry" is spreading here as well. Guys, this is just a straight repressing of an out-of-print Warner Home Video set -- clearly done so that people who might still be interested can buy it. The discs will be identical to the original Volume 1 edition. This is not the same as Warner Archive doing a Tom and Jerry release by themselves (nor does it make any difference for the situation regarding Volume 2).

On the topic of the unreleased Volume 2, Jerry Beck posted this comment on Cartoon Research's Facebook group  today:

引用:

Tom & Jerry Vol. 2 is not coming out now, this year nor anytime in the foreseeable future. If that changes, I'll let you all know.

Duck Dodgers
2020-02-20T22:43:48Z

I can't believe this rumor about Warner Archive suddenly "having Tom and Jerry" is spreading here as well. Guys, this is just a straight repressing of an out-of-print Warner Home Video set -- clearly done so that people who might still be interested can buy it. The discs will be identical to the original Volume 1 edition. This is not the same as Warner Archive doing a Tom and Jerry release by themselves (nor does it make any difference for the situation regarding Volume 2).

On the topic of the unreleased Volume 2, Jerry Beck posted this comment on Cartoon Research's Facebook group  today:

引用:

Tom & Jerry Vol. 2 is not coming out now, this year nor anytime in the foreseeable future. If that changes, I'll let you all know.

No one wrote that here. We are just saying we are sad because it would have been terrific to see Tom & Jerry shorts restored like the recently released Tex Avery classics. This release probably means that this will not happen, at least in the near future.

Mesterius
2020-02-20T22:56:32Z

引用:

No one wrote that here. We are just saying we are sad because it would have been terrific to see Tom & Jerry shorts restored like the recently released Tex Avery classics. This release probably means that this will not happen, at least in the near future.

Actually, raginggoodfella did suggest that Warner Archive could include Mouse Cleaning, which is pretty much the same as saying, "the veil on the censored Volume 2 shorts may be lifted now that something T&J-related is coming out from Warner Archive!" That's why I felt like specifying that a simple re-pressing of Volume 1 doesn't mean that.

But I honestly think most of the Tom and Jerry shorts on this 2011 Blu-ray set look as good as the shorts on the new Tex Avery Blu-ray -- at least judging from the preview clips and screenshots I've seen of the latter so far. What's needed most of all is a new restoration of the ten Volume 1 cartoons which were remastered from Metrocolor negs. Aside from that, the films on Golden Collection Volume 1 generally look wonderful.
2020-02-21T01:41:15Z
I'm sure this is like earlier retail WB films (Bogart, Davis etc) being reissued via the Archive. No doubt WHV still has T&J.
Gabrielkat1991
2020-02-21T01:50:05Z

Actually, raginggoodfella did suggest that Warner Archive could include Mouse Cleaning, which is pretty much the same as saying, "the veil on the censored Volume 2 shorts may be lifted now that something T&J-related is coming out from Warner Archive!" That's why I felt like specifying that a simple re-pressing of Volume 1 doesn't mean that.

But I honestly think most of the Tom and Jerry shorts on this 2011 Blu-ray set look as good as the shorts on the new Tex Avery Blu-ray -- at least judging from the preview clips and screenshots I've seen of the latter so far. What's needed most of all is a new restoration of the ten Volume 1 cartoons which were remastered from Metrocolor negs. Aside from that, the films on Golden Collection Volume 1 generally look wonderful.

Puss Gets the Boot is also sourced from a Metrocolor print, since it doesn't have the "in Technicolor" credit on the opening "An MGM Cartoon" card, though it also doesn't have the 60's MGM logo at the beginning.
"The dirty f**k!" - Bosko
Mesterius
2020-02-21T01:58:23Z
Originally Posted by: Gabrielkat1991 

Puss Gets the Boot is also sourced from a Metrocolor print, since it doesn't have the "in Technicolor" credit on the opening "An MGM Cartoon" card, though it also doesn't have the 60's MGM logo at the beginning.

I know it's from a TV neg, but the colors aren't off the way they are in those ten bad-looking cartoons with the 60s logo. It does seem to have less fine detail than most of the other well-restored shorts though.

Additionally, "Tee For Two" was not cleaned up for the Blu-ray for whatever reason... it was released as a good-looking raw scan. Would be nice to see that one get fully restored in the future.