WaltWiz1901
2019-02-14T21:29:45Z
About a year ago, I started a thread about which CinemaScope cartoons were recorded and/or released with stereo soundtracks. After reading this thread , I figured that we should have one on which "Golden Age" animated shorts and movies overall were recorded in either stereo or surround sound....

(Walt) Disney
-Fantasia (1940; released in five-channel "Fantasound")
-Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom (1953; three-track stereo on CinemaScope version)
-Grand Canyonscope (1954; three-track stereo on CinemaScope version)
Because the Walt Disney Treasures they are on present them in monaural sound, I am not sure if any of the other five CinemaScope "Donald Duck"s and the two Humphrey shorts were recorded in stereophonic sound; can anyone here confirm this?
-Lady and the Tramp (1955; three-track stereo on CinemaScope version)
-Sleeping Beauty (1959; four-track stereo)
-One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961; recorded in stereo, (generally) released in mono)
-Mary Poppins (1964; four-track stereo)
-"Winnie the Pooh" featurettes/The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1966-1974/1977; recorded in stereo, (generally) released in mono)
-The Jungle Book (1967; recorded in stereo, (generally) released in mono)
-The Aristocats (1970; recorded in stereo, (generally) released in mono)
-Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971; full three-track stereo soundtrack created, but it is unknown if it was used anywhere)
Warner Bros.
-What's Opera, Doc? (1957; released in mono, but a magnetic stereo track is known to exist)
Although virtually every "Looney Tunes" and "Merrie Melodies" short was released with mono sound theatrically and on both television and home video, is it possible that at least a few of them were recorded stereophonically when Warner switched from optical to hi-fi magnetic sound recording?
MGM
-Neapolitan Mouse (1954; released in mono)
-Pet Peeve (1954; released in mono)
-Touché, Pussy Cat! (1954; full stereo soundtrack prepared for CinemaScope version, but generally released in mono)
-Deputy Droopy (1955; released in mono)
-Cellbound (1955; released in mono)
-Tom and Chérie (1955; released in mono)
-That's My Mommy! (1955; released in mono)
-Busy Buddies (1956; released in mono)
-Down Beat Bear (1956; released in mono)
Gene Deitch recorded the soundtracks to his "Tom and Jerry" shorts in stereo, but they were - yet again - released monophonically
Miscellaneous
-A Boy Named Charlie Brown (1969)
-Snoopy, Come Home (1972)
-Tale of Old Whiff (six-track stereo)
The music to some of Hanna-Barbera's shows and movies, like Hey There, It's Yogi Bear! (1964), were also recorded in stereo

Any others we could add to this list?
ToonStar95
2019-02-14T22:02:29Z
I heard that Sleeping Beauty was recorded in six-track stereo in Berlin. Was it converted to four-track for its general release?

In the case of Fantasia, the Fantasound soundtrack was converted to mono for its 1942 general release, then converted to four-track stereo for the infamous 1956 SuperScope reissue. It was then re-recorded in Dolby Stereo for its 1982 reissue before a digitally-restored original soundtrack, sourced from a surviving Fantasound track, debuted in 1990.
WaltWiz1901
2019-02-14T23:34:17Z
Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 

I heard that Sleeping Beauty was recorded in six-track stereo in Berlin. Was it converted to four-track for its general release?

According to one of the sources I read while typing the initial post....
that1guystudios, Blu-ray.com wrote:

The film was originally released and mixed in 4-Channel Stereo, but is often mislabeled as 6-Channel in Ads.

....maybe Sleeping Beauty was recorded in six-track, but mixed in four-track?

Further adding to the confusion....
Greg Ehrbar wrote:

Fantasia was remixed to adapt for two channel stereo records, while Sleeping Beauty was recorded specifically in two channels for home listening as well as theaters.

Mesterius
2019-02-15T17:29:04Z
"Gene Deitch apparently recorded the soundtracks to his "Tom and Jerry" shorts in stereo, but they were - yet again - released monophonically"

Why "apparently"? Gene himself states that he did it in his Cartoon Research article , and even goes into detail about HOW he did it. I'd say that's enough to call it a proven fact.
WaltWiz1901
2019-02-15T20:28:33Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Gene himself states that he did it in his Cartoon Research article , and even goes into detail about HOW he did it. I'd say that's enough to call it a proven fact.

Thanks for fully confirming this - I have since edited my original post to remove 'apparently' from my note about Deitch's T&Js.

While skimming through a thread on the archived GAC Forums, one post in particular  caught my eye...
The G Man, GAC Forums wrote:

The last time I saw Bonanza Bunny on CN, it sounded like it was remixed as well - like the soundtrack was rebuilt from the original elements. It sounded REALLY, REALLY good.

I read about there being a stereo mix for What's Opera, Doc? here . Is it possible that some of Warners' shorts were recorded stereophonically before being folded down to mono on optical prints?
Mesterius
2019-02-15T22:55:34Z
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 

Gene himself states that he did it in his Cartoon Research article , and even goes into detail about HOW he did it. I'd say that's enough to call it a proven fact.

Thanks for fully confirming this - I have since edited my original post to remove 'apparently' from my note about Deitch's T&Js.

I'm a little surprised you didn't know it already, as I can see you have read Einhander's recent thread about the stereo soundtracks for Deitch's Tom and Jerry cartoons . 😉 Einhander's opening post includes the direct quote from Deitch as well as the link to the Cartoon Research article.
WaltWiz1901
2019-02-15T23:20:47Z
Does anyone here have either/both volume(s) of The Carl Stalling Project (I don't, but plan on getting them soon)? If so, can anyone check to see if any of the soundtracks on it/them are in stereo?

Secondly, were there any scores by Milt Franklyn and Bill Lava done in stereo (aside from What's Opera, Doc? and (apparently) Bonanza Bunny)?
WaltWiz1901
2020-01-19T04:10:22Z
Bump

Added a few more titles to the original list. It pains me to see that still, nobody has responded to my question above. Anybody here have either volume of The Carl Stalling Project? If so, are at least some of the post-shutdown scores in stereo?
Mesterius
2020-01-19T14:55:41Z
I'm curious: from where do you have the information that none of the 1950s MGM cartoons (with the possible (?) exception of Touché, Pussy Cat) were released with stereo sound?
WaltWiz1901
2020-01-19T16:14:37Z

I'm curious: from where do you have the information that none of the 1950s MGM cartoons (with the possible (?) exception of Touché, Pussy Cat) were released with stereo sound?

Most release prints of those shorts would have had an optical mono soundtrack. I don't know if any of them were released with magnetic stereo tracks.

But I'm still wondering - were any of the scores for the post-shutdown Warner Bros. cartoons recorded in stereo as well? The studio's scoring stage did get redone to allow for stereophonic sound recording in the mid-'50s...
Mesterius
2020-01-19T16:25:17Z
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 

Most release prints of those shorts would have had an optical mono soundtrack. I don't know if any of them were released with magnetic stereo tracks.

Hmmmm. But if they were fully recorded and finished in sound mixing in stereo (and we know some of them were), it makes sense that they would release them that way, too. I mean, why would MGM put all that money into producing the audio in stereo if they were only gonna release them in mono?