nickramer
2 years ago

I'm somewhat confused as to why they would replace Wigwam Whoopee. Since TCM is more of an adult network, it doesn't make sense if it was replaced due to content because they've aired both I Yam What I Yam and Big Chief Ugh-Amugh-Ugh in the past, and pretty much all of these cartoons are uncut whenever they pop up (like last week with Spinach vs Hamburgers). It doesn't make sense if it was replaced due to time constraints because this cartoon is of average length and even the longer one-reelers usually air as scheduled, like Klondike Casanova and the aforementioned Spinach vs Hamburgers. I already own this cartoon on Blu-ray but I still enjoyed the idea of seeing it air on TV (also it's a better cartoon than Tar with a Star). I wonder if it's a coincidence that this cartoon was removed from the Boomerang app roughly two weeks ago, so it may have been on the brains of the people at Turner.

Originally Posted by: MTGM 

Was "Tar with a Star" supposed to air the following week or something? Perhaps the shorts switched airdates.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2 years ago

Was "Tar with a Star" supposed to air the following week or something? Perhaps the shorts switched airdates.

Originally Posted by: nickramer 

It only popped up anywhere on the schedule a few days prior to yesterday, and this is where they placed it:
UserPostedImage

Otherwise it most likely would have aired late next month or some point in November, but it looks like they pushed it up suddenly to replace Wigwam Whoopee.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2 years ago
The restored version of Scat Cats aired this morning in its proper CinemaScope ratio.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
I've been waiting for them to air this one ever since they aired Give and Tyke, since finding a copy of Scat Cats both restored AND in its proper ratio has not been easy. This was much appreciated.

They aired the old A.A.P. master of Popeye's Premiere for whatever reason.
UserPostedImage

It's worth mentioning that Tar with a Star is scheduled to air yet again on Saturday, December 4th, proving my theory that it only aired back in September to replace Wigwam Whoopee at the last minute due to content reasons with the latter (which again, makes no sense for a channel like TCM).
Bobby Bickert
a year ago
I've been watching the Popeye cartoons on Turner Classic Movies from the beginning. I stumbled on them by pure dumb luck. I happened to have my TV on TCM at 10:00 AM on the day they started. According to the cable TV box guide, the first Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movie was supposed to air. But instead a Paramount logo appeared, accompanied by a sailor's hornpipe. It was "Popeye the Sailor". I've mostly kept up, except when I was in the hospital 5 times between August 2019 and September 2021. A few notes:

"Blow Me Down!" had aap titles

"Can You Take It" had aap titles

"Shoein' Hosses" looked like it had the original opening titles, but the weird end title from "Adventures of Popeye" was tacked on

"Choose Yer Weppins" was skipped

"Big Chief Ugh-Amugh-Ugh" had aap titles

""Popeye Presents Eugene The Jeep" was the redrawn version (!) with aap titles

"Quiet! Pleeze" was the redrawn version (!) with aap titles

"You're A Sap, Mr. Jap" was skipped (of course)

"Scrap the Japs" was skipped (of course)

"Seein' Red White n Blue" was skipped (of course)

"Cartoons Aint Human" aired when "Spinach Fer Britain" should have aired (and vice-versa)

I believe "Happy Birthdaze" was skipped

Once they made it to the color cartoons , for some reason they started showing old aap prints, except for "We're On Our Way To Rio", "She Sick Sailors" and "Shape Ahoy"

"Pop Pie A La Mode" was skipped (of course)

Starting with "Klondike Casanova", they switched from old aap prints to the restored versions with original titles for the rest of the 1940's

"The Island Fling" was skipped (of course)

Up through 1946, they pretty much showed the cartoons in chronological order. But starting with 1947, they started showing the cartoons out of order. (and as has been mentioned, "Popeye and the Pirates" was shown a second time, when they were airing cartoons from 1950)

I believe "Wotta Knight" was skipped

"Wigwam Whooppee" was skipped

"Spinach Vs, Hamburgers" was skipped (of course)

As has been noted, "Popeye's Premiere" was a faded aap print (but uncut)

As has been noted, "Tar With A Star" aired twice

As far as I know, all of the cartoons have been uncut, including "Blunder Below"
Bobby Bickert
2 months ago
Sorry to dredge up an old thread (again)...

The MGM cartoon that's supposed to air on Turner Classic Movies at 8:00 AM tomorrow (March 20th) is "Doggone Tired". My cable TV box's guide lists as the voice cast Bea Benadaret and Daws Butler. I'm guessing that this is erroneous, like the guide listing Mel Blanc and June Foray as the voice cast for most WB cartoons, even ones that were made before Mel Blanc's arrival, and ones that were made after he died! (And yet occasionally there's one that's completely accurate, like "All Abir-r-r-d" (Mel Blanc, Bea Benadaret), "Don't Axe Me" (Mel Blanc, Arthur Q. Bryan, June Foray) and "The Dixie Fryer" (Mel Blanc, Daws Butler).)
Bobby Bickert
a month ago
This morning (April 27th) after the Popeye cartoon at 10:00, Turner Classic Movies aired a Wheeler and Woolsey feature from 1931, Caught Plastered. Here are the opening credits:

Does anyone here know which studio made these animated titles, and whether it was new animation or a clip from an existing cartoon?
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
a month ago

I've been watching the Popeye cartoons on Turner Classic Movies from the beginning. I stumbled on them by pure dumb luck. I happened to have my TV on TCM at 10:00 AM on the day they started. According to the cable TV box guide, the first Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movie was supposed to air. But instead a Paramount logo appeared, accompanied by a sailor's hornpipe. It was "Popeye the Sailor". I've mostly kept up, except when I was in the hospital 5 times between August 2019 and September 2021. A few notes:

"Shoein' Hosses" looked like it had the original opening titles, but the weird end title from "Adventures of Popeye" was tacked on

"Cartoons Aint Human" aired when "Spinach Fer Britain" should have aired (and vice-versa)

Once they made it to the color cartoons , for some reason they started showing old aap prints, except for "We're On Our Way To Rio", "She Sick Sailors" and "Shape Ahoy"

Starting with "Klondike Casanova", they switched from old aap prints to the restored versions with original titles for the rest of the 1940's

Up through 1946, they pretty much showed the cartoons in chronological order. But starting with 1947, they started showing the cartoons out of order. (and as has been mentioned, "Popeye and the Pirates" was shown a second time, when they were airing cartoons from 1950)

As far as I know, all of the cartoons have been uncut, including "Blunder Below"

Originally Posted by: Bobby Bickert 

Thanks for the wonderful additions to the thread, Bobby! I appreciate it very much and wish I could have responded sooner, but I haven't been frequenting this forum as much as I used to. I like seeing that this thread still gets updated from time to time.

Some corrections:

A Wolf in Sheik's Clothing was the only 40s cartoon after Klondike Casanova to be aired as its old transfer
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Spinach Vs Hamburgers most definitely did air, restored and uncut to boot. I assume this happening is what led them to pull Wigwam Whoopee the following week

It's about time that I publicly mention that Popeye's Pappy aired back in June of 2022
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

A funny coincidence is that after the latter two cartoons mentioned above aired, TCM aired the 1934 WB movie, The Case of the Howling Dog
Bobby Bickert
a month ago

Starting with "Klondike Casanova", they switched from old aap prints to the restored versions with original titles for the rest of the 1940's36268]

Thanks for the wonderful additions to the thread, Bobby! I appreciate it very much and wish I could have responded sooner, but I haven't been frequenting this forum as much as I used to. I like seeing that this thread still gets updated from time to time.

Originally Posted by: Bobby Bickert 

I was a little late to the party myself because I had to do without a computer for nearly six years, from sometime in February 2017 until sometime in November 2022. That's why all of the information is lumped together in one post.

Some corrections:

A Wolf in Sheik's Clothing was the only 40s cartoon after Klondike Casanova to be aired as its old transfer

The problem with "A Wolf in Sheik's Clothing" is that apparently one of the three strips of the negative is missing. So they were stuck using a print with original titles that's mostly faded. (But I don't understand why the colors are darker in some places.)

Spinach Vs Hamburgers most definitely did air, restored and uncut to boot. I assume this happening is what led them to pull Wigwam Whoopee the following week

That must have been while I was in the hospital. Between August 2019 and September 2021 I was in the hospital five times because of bad batches of the medication that I take for my OCD. (I had taken this medication from March 2000 until June 2019 without any problems. But in June 2019 the pharmacy that I had been getting it from quit accepting my insurance, so my prescription got transferred to other pharmacies. Prior to this, the last time I was hospitalized was in 1975, and that was for eye surgery. And I was hospitalized in 1971 for hernia surgery. That used to be it.) The hospital TV didn't have Turner Classic Movies. (The hospital TV also didn't have MeTV.) If you know the month that "Spinach Vs. Hamburgers" aired on Turner Classic Movies aired, I can see if it matches up with one of my stays in the hospital.

It's about time that I publicly mention that Popeye's Pappy aired back in June of 2022
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

A funny coincidence is that after the latter two cartoons mentioned above aired, TCM aired the 1934 WB movie, The Case of the Howling Dog

There were comments on YouTube about "Popeye's Pappy" airing on Turner Classic Movies. If it was in June 2022, it must have been while I was staying in a hotel because the carpet in the place I'm living in now was being replaced with some other flooring so my mom could move in. (She has asthma.) The hotel TV also didn't have Turner Classic Movies (or MeTV). The hospital TV didn't even have the local TV stations that don't have a network affiliation. Plus my TV and everything connected to it (cable TV box, VCR, DVD player) had to be disconnected and unplugged, and the TV cart was rolled onto the back porch until all of the carpet had been replaced with new flooring.

In the fall of 1988 Turner syndicated a package of many (but not all) of the colorized Popeye cartoons, as well as the Popeye cartoons that were filmed in color. (The ones that were left out were longer ones like "King of the Mardi Gras", "Adventures of Popeye", "I Yam Love Sick", "Goonland", "Ration Fer the Duration", "A Jolly Good Furlough", "Happy Birthdaze", "Cartoons Ain't Human", "Klondike Casanova", and the longer "cheaters". And of course the two-reelers.) This package aired on one of Tampa's independent TV stations, as well as on WGN. Believe it or not, this package included "Popeye's Pappy". (And cartoons with "racist" content like "Rocket To Mars" and "Wotta Knight" were uncut.) They also included the cartoons from "Parlez Vous-Woo" through "Spree Lunch", which for some reason weren't being aired on WTBS. (But they did air on TNT.) But the cartoons were sped up to squeeze four cartoons into a half-hour time slot, which is probably why the longer cartoons were left out of the package. I recorded "Females Is Fickle" and compared it with the one I had recorded off WTBS. It timed out about a minute shorter. So I didn't record any of those sped-up cartoons.

Also, "Spinach Vs. Hamburgers" aired uncut as part of "The Popeye Hour" on TNT in the late 1980's. (I have a VHS recording of it, including the TNT logo appearing during the clip from "Pop-Pie A La Mode".) Back then WTBS and TNT showed most of the WB, MGM and Popeye cartoons uncensored. Blackface gags. Black stereotypes. Dinah the maid in the Tom and Jerry cartoons. Asian stereotypes and related gags. Characters blowing their brains out. The ending of "Happy Birthdaze". (I have a VHS recording of the colorized version of "Happy Birthdaze", uncut.) Characters taking sleeping pills. WWII cartoons (Though TNT only showed the colorized version of "Spinach Fer Britain" (which I recorded) on Memorial Day and Veterans Day. And I never saw "Blitz Wolf on WTBS or TNT.) Believe it or not, colorized versions of "Scrap the Japs" and "Seein' Red White 'n' Blue" aired as part of "Tom and Jerry's Funhouse" on WTBS in the spring of 1988. (But that was right before my family had a VCR.) And one morning in the spring of 1990, "Pop-Pie A La Mode" aired as part of "The Popeye Hour" on TNT. (But I didn't have a tape in the VCR because I thought that I had recorded all of the Popeye cartoons that WTBS and TNT would show.) But there were no repeat airings, except for a shortened version of "Seein' Red White 'n' Blue" (ending with the tires being loaded onto a stretcher, then taken away in an ambulance instead of Bluto) airing on "Tom and Jerry's Funhouse" on WTBS (which also aired a heavily-edited version of "The Island Fling", including editing out the scene with the gorilla toward the end).

I'm still watching the Popeye cartoons at 10:00 AM on Saturday mornings on Turner Classic Movies since they started over at the beginning. (Though I haven't watched every one.) So far:

"I Yam What I Yam" was skipped.

"Blow Me Down!" was skipped.

For some reason they skipped a chunk of cartoons from 1935. I think it was from "Choose Your 'Weppins''" through "You Gotta Be A Football Hero", but I'm not positive. (I should have written it down.)
Bobby Bickert
a month ago
I forgot to mention this on Friday...

The MGM cartoon that aired on Turner Classic Movies at 8:00 AM yesterday was "Old Smokey". My cable TV box's guide lists Billy Bletcher and Martha Wentworth as the voice cast, and William Hanna as the director.

I wonder where they got this information from? The only Captain and the Kids cartoons that William Hanna got a screen credit on are "Blue Monday" and "What A Lion!". (And they were the only ones included as bonus features on the "Art of Tom and Jerry" laserdiscs.)

Quick Reply

© 2024 - YetAnotherForum.NET