Jason Todd
2017-12-07T09:10:57Z
I'm considering buying the Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collections, specifically for the CinemaScope entries, since those were restored for these sets.

For those of you who did buy the Spotlight sets despite all of their issues, is this a recommendable idea?
PopKorn Kat
2017-12-07T16:52:59Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

I'm considering buying the Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collections, specifically for the CinemaScope entries, since those were restored for these sets.

For those of you who did buy the Spotlight sets despite all of their issues, is this a recommendable idea?



I'd recommend it, personally. I felt the restorations were well-done and not cropped at all, I don't think.
VoiceTalentBrendan
2017-12-07T17:00:40Z
Pup on a Picnic only has the opening and end titles in CinemaScope, while the rest of the short is pan and scaned for widescreen TVs?

That bugged me when watching this short on the 3rd vol.
Jason Todd
2017-12-07T18:27:57Z
I believe Life with Tom was also restored during the Spotlight Collection era. Am I correct in assuming this?
Cool_Cat
2017-12-07T21:48:23Z
They restored the first Mammy shorts on Volume 2, Life with Tom on Volume 3 and all the Cinemascope shorts. I got my hands on a restored version of Give and Tyke through Amazon DE, I have no idea when they restored that one. I have a feeling they restored all the MGM Cinemascope cartoons.

My only complaint is the shorts on the first volume have a pretty bad color correction. They also mixed badly the audio on the first volume by using the separate music/voice/effects tracks still on the first volume, but I'm probably being too nitpicky.
Jason Todd
2017-12-08T01:26:04Z
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat 

They restored the first Mammy shorts on Volume 2, Life with Tom on Volume 3 and all the Cinemascope shorts. I got my hands on a restored version of Give and Tyke through Amazon DE, I have no idea when they restored that one. I have a feeling they restored all the MGM Cinemascope cartoons.

My only complaint is the shorts on the first volume have a pretty bad color correction. They also mixed badly the audio on the first volume by using the separate music/voice/effects tracks still on the first volume, but I'm probably being too nitpicky.



Yeah, the audio mix Warner used for their restoration of Touché, Pussy Cat! is quite strange. Luckily, that's an easily correctable issue.
Jason Todd
2017-12-09T04:05:10Z
I believe the CinemaScope Droopy shorts were restored for the Droopy set as well, correct?
LuckyToon
2017-12-10T00:55:20Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

I believe the CinemaScope Droopy shorts were restored for the Droopy set as well, correct?



Yes they were.
Jason Todd
2017-12-10T01:54:04Z
Then I shall buy the Droopy set as well.
LuckyToon
2017-12-10T22:25:22Z
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd 

Then I shall buy the Droopy set as well.



I'm planning to get it someday, but I have yet to get my hands on it since I'm getting the 4 remaining seasons of Pokemon on DVD (I do own all 3 individual DVDs of the first season since the last volume contains a banned episode that's not included on the complete set from this decade, and I'm gonna be getting the 2009 copy of the second season since it has 2 episodes that were omitted from the recent complete set).
Jason Todd
2017-12-11T02:07:15Z
On a somewhat related note, I currently have a copy of the Academy Awards set, which contains three CinemaScope MGM cartoons: Touché, Pussy Cat!, Good Will to Men, and One Droopy Knight. For my own amusement, I ripped them into my computer and, through use of a video editor, formatted them into a 16:9 aspect ratio to fit my screen, and placed the opening and closing titles into a black windowbox. They look pretty interesting with their letterboxed borders cropped off...
SourPuss26
2017-12-27T18:47:25Z
I know it's a very well known issue, but on the Spotlight Collection, the CinemaScope version of Touche Pussycat is missing the vocal track at 4:50 for the song Frere Jacques. Like you, I started fiddling with the video editor. I took the audio from some other source (I think it was from Tom and Jerry's Greatest Chases, Vol. 3) and replaced that tiny portion of the Spotlight version's audio so it's finally correct for my personal viewing pleasure.