ParamountCartoons
2017-03-01T00:31:55Z
I was watching Van Bueren's Aesop Fable "The WIld Goose Chase" and they all danced to lift Depression-era audiences up. That got me thinking....since most of the 30s cartoon spoofs from the 80s-now basically sucked (Ditto Animaniacs and the FOP's Good Ol' Days, plus two Tiny Toons episodes), where you see nothing but dancing buildings and inanimate objects come to life and characters all have pie-eyes, what cartoons inspired certain aspects?


Fleischer:
The Talkartoons and the pre-code [betty]
Screen Songs (millions of TV commercials have imitated the Bouncing Ball)


Disney
Steamboat Willie (among other early [mickey] cartoons)
B&W Sllly Symphonies


WB:
Early Merrie Melodies, especially with characters
Looney Tunes starring:
[bosko]
[buddy]



Van Bueren:
The Aseops Fables, especially the ones with lots of dancing.

What else can you think of?




ArcLordOne
2023-09-04T20:54:16Z
Originally Posted by: ParamountCartoons 

I was watching Van Bueren's Aesop Fable "The WIld Goose Chase" and they all danced to lift Depression-era audiences up. That got me thinking....since most of the 30s cartoon spoofs from the 80s-now basically sucked (Ditto Animaniacs and the FOP's Good Ol' Days, plus two Tiny Toons episodes), where you see nothing but dancing buildings and inanimate objects come to life and characters all have pie-eyes, what cartoons inspired certain aspects?


Fleischer:
The Talkartoons and the pre-code [betty]
Screen Songs (millions of TV commercials have imitated the Bouncing Ball)


Disney
Steamboat Willie (among other early [mickey] cartoons)
B&W Sllly Symphonies


WB:
Early Merrie Melodies, especially with characters
Looney Tunes starring:
[bosko]
[buddy]



Van Bueren:
The Aseops Fables, especially the ones with lots of dancing.

What else can you think of?





Most of it is just Mickey Mouse and Talkartoon cliches. Nobody actually watched the real things.

Jimmy Two Shoes
2023-09-05T04:42:54Z
I totally agree with you that animators who try to imitate the style of the '30s do things that are completely generic and stereotypical, and the result is all too often something that has absolutely nothing to do with the cartoons of that era.

The main reason why these animators fail so miserably is that they see the rubber-hose style as archaic and outdated, a few obviously untrue since it exudes life and modernity. What's more, if the Disney studios hadn't imposed a new, realistic animation method, rubber-hose animation would have continued to be used to this day.

Unfortunately, Disney imposed its way of animating on other American studios and then on studios worldwide, killing the rubber hose style for good, and needless to say, I hold a huge grudge against Walt Disney for that.

Today, Walt Disney fans take pleasure in belittling rubber-hose animation, as in this article  for example.
ArcLordOne
2023-09-05T21:19:26Z
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Two Shoes 

I totally agree with you that animators who try to imitate the style of the '30s do things that are completely generic and stereotypical, and the result is all too often something that has absolutely nothing to do with the cartoons of that era.

The main reason why these animators fail so miserably is that they see the rubber-hose style as archaic and outdated, a few obviously untrue since it exudes life and modernity. What's more, if the Disney studios hadn't imposed a new, realistic animation method, rubber-hose animation would have continued to be used to this day.

Unfortunately, Disney imposed its way of animating on other American studios and then on studios worldwide, killing the rubber hose style for good, and needless to say, I hold a huge grudge against Walt Disney for that.

Today, Walt Disney fans take pleasure in belittling rubber-hose animation, as in this article  for example.


One of the lesser tributes was 2013's Get a Horse, where it just has arbitrary limb-stretching and talking inanimate objects a-la Talkartoons. It also had no plot.

https://itsthecat.com/Gallery-Movies.htm 

I like this Sky ad:




nickramer
2023-09-06T03:46:04Z
"Lesser"!? "Plotless"!? I thought "Get a Horse!" was well-done, much more so than Paul Rudish's takes on Mickey which started the same year as the short.

Jimmy Two Shoes
2023-09-07T04:13:54Z
Originally Posted by: ArcLordOne 

Originally Posted by: Jimmy Two Shoes 

I totally agree with you that animators who try to imitate the style of the '30s do things that are completely generic and stereotypical, and the result is all too often something that has absolutely nothing to do with the cartoons of that era.

The main reason why these animators fail so miserably is that they see the rubber-hose style as archaic and outdated, a few obviously untrue since it exudes life and modernity. What's more, if the Disney studios hadn't imposed a new, realistic animation method, rubber-hose animation would have continued to be used to this day.

Unfortunately, Disney imposed its way of animating on other American studios and then on studios worldwide, killing the rubber hose style for good, and needless to say, I hold a huge grudge against Walt Disney for that.

Today, Walt Disney fans take pleasure in belittling rubber-hose animation, as in this article  for example.


One of the lesser tributes was 2013's Get a Horse, where it just has arbitrary limb-stretching and talking inanimate objects a-la Talkartoons. It also had no plot.

https://itsthecat.com/Gallery-Movies.htm 

I like this Sky ad:





The character animation for this Sky advert is very well done, but it's a shame that the backgrounds don't match the characters' drawing style at all, spoiling much of the fun.
Jimmy Two Shoes
2023-09-07T04:27:13Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

"Lesser"!? "Plotless"!? I thought "Get a Horse!" was well-done, much more so than Paul Rudish's takes on Mickey which started the same year as the short.



The animation of Get a Horse doesn't even come close to the drawing style used by Ub Iwerks on the first Mickey cartoons, so it's safe to say it's a failed tribute to the Mickey Mouse series.
nickramer
2023-09-07T19:16:46Z
I beg to differ, especially coming from a talented animator like Goldberg.
Bobby Bickert
2023-09-07T19:27:05Z
Originally Posted by: ParamountCartoons 

I was watching Van Bueren's Aesop Fable "The WIld Goose Chase" and they all danced to lift Depression-era audiences up. That got me thinking....since most of the 30s cartoon spoofs from the 80s-now basically sucked (Ditto Animaniacs and the FOP's Good Ol' Days, plus two Tiny Toons episodes), where you see nothing but dancing buildings and inanimate objects come to life and characters all have pie-eyes, what cartoons inspired certain aspects?


Fleischer:
The Talkartoons and the pre-code [betty]
Screen Songs (millions of TV commercials have imitated the Bouncing Ball)



Don't forget the early Fleischer Popeyes. There was an episode of Bobby's World that was a valentine to classic cartoons like the Road Runner, the Charlie Brown specials...and the Fleischer Popeyes (which Bobby calls "PopOyl") It was in B & W, inanimate objects had a life of their own, and there were nice little touches like "Bobeye" saying "Wham!" when he punches "Dorko" into a washing machine.

"I may be all soapy
And look kind of dopey
But I'm Bobeye the Fantasy Man!" *HONK* *HONK*

ArcLordOne
2023-09-07T20:22:46Z
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Two Shoes 


The character animation for this Sky advert is very well done, but it's a shame that the backgrounds don't match the characters' drawing style at all, spoiling much of the fun.


Yeah, its more like The Amazing World of Gumball's backgrounds.