Toonatic
  • Toonatic
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2016-12-22T06:43:18Z
Tonight, I have decided to take matter into my own hands. The time to release Disney shorts in collector's sets on Blu-ray and DVD starts now:

https://www.change.org/p...y-and-dvd-make-it-happen 
eutychus
2016-12-22T18:46:12Z
I signed!

Some people may question the efficacy of online petitions. I don't really want to take credit for something that may not have been my doing, but ... when I first started the DisneyShorts site some 19 years ago, one of the first things we did was to start an online petition to get the classic Disney cartoons released on DVD. (Back then, there was virtually nothing available.) We put it together and sent it in to the attention of Roy Disney. We never heard anything back from them directly, but (and as I said, I'm reluctant to take credit here) within the next two years we started seeing the Walt Disney Treasures series being released.

Please sign! They'll never know that we want these unless we let them know!
Cool_Cat
2016-12-22T19:39:58Z
I'll sign the petition, but just to stay on topic, what shorts have been restored in 4K as of today?

I noticed in the R2 Treasures sets they used old broadcast prints of many shorts in the Complete Goofy and in the second Donald volume, while on the R1 sets different shorts appeared restored or not.

UserPostedImage
Region 2
UserPostedImage
Region 1
LuckyToon
2016-12-23T10:17:05Z
Well that was more lazier for the UK Treasure sets to not include the remastered prints of those that were remastered for the american releases, at least only the ones from the mid-2000s Treasures DVDs in the US contain un-remastered prints.

But lets hope someday Disney will remaster the ones that were left un-remastered for future DVD and/or Blu Ray releases. Mainly as part of complete sets.
Cool_Cat
2016-12-23T15:35:43Z
On the Chronological Donald Volume 2 they kinda did the opposite by putting better prints of No Sail and Donald Duck and the Gorilla on the PAL set. The remastered one of No Sail also airs here on Disney Channel IT.

But again, remastered doesn't mean they kept the highest resolution scan. None of the remasters of the first waves also exist in HD.

For an example the one of On Ice is a brand new one, with the original titles restored.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Sometimes they kinda screwed up the color correction but it's not as bad as some of the later WB restorations.
nickramer
2016-12-24T04:55:11Z
I signed it. While I'm not sure this will work, I do know that Disney has a company fan club (D23) and I'm sure that if they do a Blu-Ray set, they would promote it rather well (i.e. have a banner link in most D23 pages and do a contest) and convince enough members to purchase this set.
vdubdavid
2016-12-24T12:40:28Z
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat 

On the Chronological Donald Volume 2 they kinda did the opposite by putting better prints of No Sail and Donald Duck and the Gorilla on the PAL set. The remastered one of No Sail also airs here on Disney Channel IT.

But again, remastered doesn't mean they kept the highest resolution scan. None of the remasters of the first waves also exist in HD.

For an example the one of On Ice is a brand new one, with the original titles restored.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Sometimes they kinda screwed up the color correction but it's not as bad as some of the later WB restorations.

I hate to say it, but that isn't the original main title card. The original can be seen in the old "The Art of Walt Disney" book.
LuckyToon
2016-12-24T16:15:16Z
Originally Posted by: vdubdavid 

I hate to say it, but that isn't the original main title card. The original can be seen in the old "The Art of Walt Disney" book.

I would love to see it. Can someone post a shot of the original opening title of "On Ice" from the book? I want to see it so bad. I'm so attached to seeing the original titles to classic Disney cartoons.
Cool_Cat
2016-12-25T12:42:21Z
Disney is well known for putting fake title cards all the time, that wouldn't even surprise me.

By the way, those transfers look brand new to me. For an example the shorts in the Christmas Carol Blu Ray instead are the older versions but in HD.
vdubdavid
2016-12-25T14:32:31Z
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon 

I would love to see it. Can someone post a shot of the original opening title of "On Ice" from the book? I want to see it so bad. I'm so attached to seeing the original titles to classic Disney cartoons.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/On_Ice 
nickramer
2016-12-28T05:42:21Z
You know, I wish you would've PM me before you added that update about the presentation at the Wexner Center. I almost feel like I'm getting into trouble for mentioning that ("almost" as I don't work there).
ParamountCartoons
2016-12-28T15:51:18Z
Are you sure you want to petition this? I don't want another copyright extension to happen.....
PopKorn Kat
2016-12-28T17:45:37Z
Originally Posted by: ParamountCartoons 

Are you sure you want to petition this? I don't want another copyright extension to happen.....

What does this have to do with copyright extensions?
LuckyToon
2016-12-29T01:11:34Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

Originally Posted by: ParamountCartoons 

What does this have to do with copyright extensions?

Yeah, like really? This will not effect you.
zurk
2016-12-30T17:15:30Z
nickramer
2016-12-31T04:47:09Z
If a Blu-Ray release of these shorts ever happen, should their be some audio commentaries for some of these shorts? I find it very disappointed that the early waves of "Walt Disney Treasures" had no audio commentaries as there are many Disney shorts that I think deserved audio commentaries.
tonyboy85
2017-01-07T12:43:01Z
Signed it.

& I prefer the old title cards than the new ones,
like the new title card that "On Ice (1935)" got.
WaltWiz1901
2017-11-27T22:38:30Z
I signed it as well (and yes, I apologize for bumping a thread that's nearly a year old now).

Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat 

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

They also placed fake title cards on The Band Concert, Thru the Mirror , Clock Cleaners , and from research, Mickey's Rival. What other shorts are missing their original title cards (I definitely don't know what Clock Cleaners' actual original titles looked like, so there's one)?
WaltWiz1901
2017-11-29T21:25:29Z
Wow, 96 supporters (including, as you can guess, many of us)! We're very close to finally convincing Disney that releasing these shorts on Blu-ray is a very high demand!

Considering how great Thunderbean is when it comes to releasing classic animation on Blu-ray, as are the five sets made by Warner Bros., I would definitely recommend if they did anything like those!

Update: One more supporter left and we finally may see these shorts on Blu-ray! Who else wishes there was an announcement about this during the next "Stu's Show"?
Toonatic
  • Toonatic
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2018-04-02T19:18:35Z
I have now taken this campaign all the way to Facebook!:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2044548252469908/