PorkyPigfan08
2016-04-11T17:12:00Z
Hi all.

I am a longtime reader of this forum as well as the old Termite Terrace Trading Post. I was wondering about the copyright status of the Tex Avery classic Doggone Tired. Warner Bros. has apparently been removing this cartoon from Youtube. However, according both Film Superlist 1940-1949 as well as the copyright renewals for the year 1976 (the year it would be up for renewal) the cartoon was not renewed.

Could it have been renewed under the incorrect title a la Crowing Pains or could Warner Bros. be mistaking it for the 1942 WB cartoon Dog Tired?

Any help on this issue would be appreciated. [droopy]

Andrew, [porky]
DGM
2016-04-11T18:37:52Z
The first copyright term was set to expire on June 17, 1977 (28 years after the original registration ). I looked up the indexes for 1977 and 1976, but I couldn't find it. But who knows? There may be an error in the catalogue, or we may be missing something.
ParamountCartoons
2016-04-11T18:51:28Z
We are living in the "Where's the Fair Use"(aka #WTFU) era, due to how broken the DMCA system is.....

WB took it down just for the sake of taking it down, so in reality it may be PD.........

Most copies are the reissue, so the reissue may be protected by copyright.......which is the case for "An Itch in Time". I can remember that due to the standard blue background when Tanner roars in the logo.
2016-04-11T20:38:40Z
It probably is PD, Warner Brothers is just being stupid. I uploaded a copy of "The Daffy Duckaroo" to my channel almost a month ago and WB blocked it almost immediately despite the fact that the cartoon is PD. I simply filed a dispute stating that the cartoon was indeed in the public domain and it was removed pretty quickly. I don't know what's been going on with Youtube recently but it's just ridiculous. I recommend anyone in my position whose video is PD or fair use absolutely file a counter dispute if they get hit.
Cool_Cat
2016-04-12T08:56:55Z
WB has just absurd copyright policies.

Disney for an example does not remove videos on YT but monetizes them which is a lot smarter in the digital era when people always search for cartoons on the internet.

Then if WB's cartoons were available somewhere...

They simply do not care. I think they should make a program where you can buy whatever you want from their archives, from a rare 1930s Merrie Melodie to a computer colorized copy. That way I'd stop searching around. They'll never do it though.
nickramer
2016-04-12T14:29:57Z
I think this song  pretty much sums up my opinion of Warner Bros. as a whole.
DGM
2016-04-13T16:32:44Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

I think this song  pretty much sums up my opinion of Warner Bros. as a whole.

https://play.spotify.com...k/6Wn1gVt4uo2no8YT7vKmDD 
LuckyToon
2016-04-13T21:51:09Z
Originally Posted by: Bannedcartoonfan 

It probably is PD, Warner Brothers is just being stupid. I uploaded a copy of "The Daffy Duckaroo" to my channel almost a month ago and WB blocked it almost immediately despite the fact that the cartoon is PD. I simply filed a dispute stating that the cartoon was indeed in the public domain and it was removed pretty quickly. I don't know what's been going on with Youtube recently but it's just ridiculous. I recommend anyone in my position whose video is PD or fair use absolutely file a counter dispute if they get hit.

And I noticed it when I was about to watch the video, it shows that the copyright system is broken, and putting in claims on PD cartoons is very unacceptable.
PorkyPigfan90
2016-05-11T23:39:31Z
You guys are probably right. Warner Bros. is being greedy about their films. Strangely, the WB short the Lions Busy which is almost certainly not Public Domain has several videos on Youtube.
Blob55
2016-05-13T00:45:51Z
Originally Posted by: PorkyPigfan90 

You guys are probably right. Warner Bros. is being greedy about their films. Strangely, the WB short the Lions Busy which is almost certainly not Public Domain has several videos on Youtube.

I can find some colourized Boskos, so I guess they only take down cartoons directed by well-known people.
PopKorn Kat
2016-05-13T01:26:07Z
While perusing the Looney Tunes Wiki, I noticed that one YouTube channel (which shall remain nameless) had uploaded public domain cartoons--some from the DVDs, no less! Like Bannedcartoonfan said, they're probably going easy on the PD stuff, but only if you tell them.