wiley207
  • wiley207
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
Having recently re-read Jon Cooke and Matt Hunter's list from years ago on "Rules of New Looney Tunes Cartoons," I had also come up with a similar list on rules for new Scooby-Doo cartoons, as that's a franchise Warner Bros. has also been mistreating a lot. And with "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo" having come out, I added a few new rules and updated some existing ones. I know I posted this on the old forums, but this is basically a revised version. Anyone reading this is welcome to suggest more!

- Don't go crazy with the references/parodies of classic Scooby-Doo shows; two or three light takes on the formula per cartoon is enough. ("Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" is a semi-exception as it references previous shows and not the formula.)
- Not every cartoon needs the old doors-in-the-hallway gag, a pop song playing during a chase sequence, or the "...if it weren't for you meddling kids!" line.
- There are more characters besides Shaggy, Scooby or Daphne whom you can center a story around.
- Don't try to make the characters "hip" or "edgy", and don't have them spout pop culture references that'll be dated in a week or touting modern technology as an attempt to look more "updated" than the older shows did.
- Come up with new ideas; don't just recycle everything Hanna-Barbera ever did in the 1970s and 1980s.
- Base the characters' designs and clothes on the classic cartoons, without redesigning them into a different style (ala "What's New Scooby-Doo," "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue" and "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo").
- Any extreme changes to the franchise should be avoided (like "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue").
- Scooby-Doo may not be that bright, but he's not worthless as a character.
- Scooby can do more than just eat, be scared, and just stand there.
- Pay attention to timing. Not every Scooby-Doo cartoon needs to rocket along like it's on fast-forward, or go incredibly slow with the plot details.
- Make it actually be like a cartoon, like the original shows were. Don't just make it a hyper-realistic imitation of live-action (ala "What's New Scooby-Doo" or "Scooby-Doo, Mystery Incorporated.")
- The music should at least be in tune with the classic Scooby-Doo series, instead of simply using a generic action/drama synthesizer score.
- Fred isn't supposed to be a scatterbrained idiot; same with Daphne.
- Don't use guest stars, or reality TV or movie parodies as a crutch for a plot, i.e. some of the "What's New Scooby-Doo" episodes, or the WWE and KISS crossover movies.
- Don't use 3-D shading. Full-blown CGI should also be avoided most of the time.
- At least do some of the animation process in-house and create some employment for the talented folks who live in this country. There are some former 1980s Hanna-Barbera staff members still alive and working that could contribute greatly. Don't just write a script and ship it off to Korea (such as Lotto Animation or DongWoo Animation Co. Ltd.)
- Use the classic Hanna-Barbera sound effects library more frequently. They helped enhance the antics of the shows back in the 1970s and 1980s. The franchise doesn't have to be "realistic" with the sound effects (i.e. "What's New Scooby-Doo" and some of the direct-to-video movies from around 2007-2009). Even the classic "Castle Thunder" sound doesn't need to be avoided just because it's over 80 years old; it has that classic haunted house sound and feel to it. The old Treg Brown/Looney Tunes sound effects should also be avoided if possible; they just don't work with Hanna-Barbera characters.
- Feel free to lampoon the old Scooby-Doo formula, but don't overdo it, and try to keep it fresh and funny (i.e. "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo").
- Characters don't need to talk non-stop; they can do things, too.
- You can be dramatic and scary, but don't go over the top, and don't rely on innuendos and/or excessive violence to keep the show going (like "Scooby-Doo, Mystery Incorporated.") Scooby-Doo is meant for FAMILY audiences...
- And when writing for Scooby-Doo, remember that the villain isn't always someone the gang met earlier in the episode/movie.

Major offenders of this list include "What's New, Scooby-Doo?", the 2004-2009 direct-to-video Scooby-Doo movies, "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue" and "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo" (i.e. they broke many or all of these rules.)
nickramer
8 years ago
I got one: don't have Jim Lee pitch a realistic Scooby cartoon just to cash in on Archie's territory. Or better yet: fire him from DC as he thinks everything is X-Men.
Toadette
8 years ago
Oh yeah, these  horrid things...

Really liking these rules, even though I'm not a fan of Scooby. (I especially liked the mentions of the crimes committed by recent revivals! Though the guest stars issue had been affecting the canon as early as the "New Scooby-Doo Movies".) Is it possible to create a separate page on your blog, one accessible from the main page? You should probably place the rules there for the sake of wider exposure.

And one rule of my own:
-Make the mysteries engaging and complex enough that the viewers can actually "play along", so to speak. This was something that the original series and "Mystery Inc." (for all its over-violent problems) managed to do.
LuckyToon
8 years ago

- Use the classic Hanna-Barbera sound effects library more frequently. They helped enhance the antics of the shows back in the 1970s and 1980s. The franchise doesn't have to be "realistic" with the sound effects (i.e. "What's New Scooby-Doo" and some of the direct-to-video movies from around 2007-2009). Even the classic "Castle Thunder" sound doesn't need to be avoided just because it's over 80 years old; it has that classic haunted house sound and feel to it. The old Treg Brown/Looney Tunes sound effects should also be avoided if possible; they just don't work with Hanna-Barbera characters.

Originally Posted by: wiley207 

I agree with you on this rule. But WBA keeps blowing it!
nickramer
8 years ago

Oh yeah, these  horrid things...

Originally Posted by: Toadette 

I'm still worried those darn editors are going to bring back a certain terrible "Looney" update from 2005 in comic form.

Quick Reply

© 2024 - YetAnotherForum.NET