wiley207
  • wiley207
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2016-02-04T16:11:37Z
I woke up this morning to some rather unfortunate news. One of the best post-Mel Blanc voice actors, Joe Alaskey, has passed away last night. He was 63.

http://www.newsfromme.co...6/02/03/joe-alaskey-r-p/ 

He was known for voicing Plucky Duck on "Tiny Toon Adventures," and went on to voice many male Looney Tunes characters on various projects in the 90s and 2000s, including Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, Sylvester, Tweety, Marvin the Martian, and others, on shows such as "The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries" and "Duck Dodgers," and on movies such as "Looney Tunes: Back in Action."
Another non-WB voice he was known for was voicing Grandpa Lou on the 1998-2004 "Rugrats" episodes (and its' spinoff "All Grown Up.")

He will surely be missed...
ToonStar95
2016-02-04T17:03:41Z
IMO, he was the best post-Mel Daffy voice. I loved his performances on Duck Dodgers.
Toadette
2016-02-04T18:15:19Z
He went out while he was still young, at least compared to other great voice actors (Mel Blanc and Stan Freberg).

Over at the Tralfaz blog, Scott Shaw made a comment that I'm afraid is quite revealing: "I worked with Joe on a number of projects and it always distressed me to see him dash outside for a smoke many times during recording sessions. I guess those coffin nails finally caught up with him."

Rest in peace, Joe. You took on the unenviable task of keeping the WB characters going after Blanc died, and did a fine job at it.
LuckyToon
2016-02-04T18:55:53Z
I'm really shocked to hear he passed away recently, he was great as Daffy and Sylvester. But I hope WBA will find a new voice actor to play the Looney Tunes characters that Joe voiced back then.

And don't forget that he also voice [huey] in the second season of "The Baby Huey Show."
wiley207
  • wiley207
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2016-02-04T19:22:25Z
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon 

I'm really shocked to hear he passed away recently, he was great as Daffy and Sylvester. But I hope WBA will find a new voice actor to play the Looney Tunes characters that Joe voiced back then.



Warner already has Jeff Bergman voicing Daffy and Sylvester, and they're also casting newer, younger and more inexperienced talent to voice the Looney Tunes (J.P. Karliak, anyone?)
Bobby Bickert
2016-02-05T03:20:57Z
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon 

And don't forget that he also voice [huey] in the second season of "The Baby Huey Show."



He also voiced some nameless ducks in the Christmas special "A Wish For Wings That Work".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSBNT5WKizg 
nickramer
2016-02-05T03:51:37Z
Originally Posted by: Toadette 



Over at the Tralfaz blog, Scott Shaw made a comment that I'm afraid is quite revealing: "I worked with Joe on a number of projects and it always distressed me to see him dash outside for a smoke many times during recording sessions. I guess those coffin nails finally caught up with him."



Once again, smoking takes away another key player in animation just like what happen 50 years ago (see Pinto Colvig and Walt himself). Why did it have to be him?
wiley207
  • wiley207
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2016-02-05T15:41:41Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

[Once again, smoking takes away another key player in animation just like what happen 50 years ago (see Pinto Colvig and Walt himself). Why did it have to be him?



Didn't smoking also contribute to Mel Blanc's death? (He got heart disease and emphysema from it.) A pretty sad coincidence...
LuckyToon
2016-02-05T21:08:43Z
Anyone working in the animation industry including voice actors should learn to know that smoking is bad and can kill you. When I work in the animation industry, I will never smoke since I have learned as a kid it's bad for you, it can make your life short.
2016-02-05T22:59:13Z
Like Earl Kress, gone too soon.
Blob55
2016-02-06T20:03:47Z
Aw man, he was my fav post-Mel Blanc Daffy Duck VA. :/
Though, I didn't like his Bugs or Sylvester as much.
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead
2016-02-07T06:41:35Z
Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 

IMO, he was the best post-Mel Daffy voice. I loved his performances on Duck Dodgers.



While not a TTA fan or of most Daffy roles due to the 1956 Ali Baba Bunny-or was it more the
57 Sh0wbiz Bugs--at least they DID have Duck Dodgers which I saw some of and Plucky Dyuck did
have some funny moments, so, yeah, RIP Joe. 😞
LuckyToon
2016-02-09T04:28:41Z
Oh yeah, he also played Daffy in some Looney Tunes video games back then like "Sheep Raider" for PS1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmRHa_EFZ7s 
Toadette
2016-02-12T21:44:00Z